Hacking What is Haxchi or CBHC? FAQs and info

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
put that elf in any folder name you want (it doesn't require to be named the same than the folder!, it's just a myth users started).
though, it's best to use "mocha" as other homebrew are relying on that path (for example CBHC).

wiiu/apps/mocha/mocha.elf
launch it from HBL.

You are sure you want/need redNAND? I'm not stopping you from trying or wanting it, it's just that most users only want piracy, and signature patching sysNAND is far enough. "simple signature patcher" is enough for that, or even haxchi. you don't need redNAND for playing games, eShop or DLC.

if you want redNAND because it's a safer environment, then you can do it. You'll just have to run Mocha manually every time.
if you have CBHC installed, you can tell it to load Mocha at console boot.
loading Mocha at console boot is only useful if you use redNAND (as mocha is longer to load, and CBHC can patch sysNAND faster)

Reactions: ratmandom

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
put that elf in any folder name you want (it doesn't require to be named the same than the folder!, it's just a myth users started).
though, it's best to use "mocha" as other homebrew are relying on that path (for example CBHC).

wiiu/apps/mocha/mocha.elf
launch it from HBL.

You are sure you want/need redNAND? I'm not stopping you from trying or wanting it, it's just that most users only want piracy, and signature patching sysNAND is far enough. "simple signature patcher" is enough for that, or even haxchi. you don't need redNAND for playing games, eShop or DLC.

if you want redNAND because it's a safer environment, then you can do it. You'll just have to run Mocha manually every time.
if you have CBHC installed, you can tell it to load Mocha at console boot.
loading Mocha at console boot is only useful if you use redNAND (as mocha is longer to load, and CBHC can patch sysNAND faster)
So I can just press B at the start of Haxchi and I can pirate games from that?

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the point of Mocha? It seems like CBHC gives you everything you possibly need and Mocha just makes your Wii U bootup longer with no real benefits.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded mocha v0.2 from github but it just came with an elf. Should I create a folder named 'mocha' (which the elf is named) and use it like that?

Do you have the Homebrew Appstore on your SD card? You can download Mocha from the Appstore and it will install it to the appropriate folder. That way you'll get the icon and description as well. When an update to Mocha comes out you can install the latest using the Appstore.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So I can just press B at the start of Haxchi and I can pirate games from that?
of course.
redNAND has no real purpose for players. it's more for developers/modders.
Just press B with haxchi and you get patches for piracy until you shutdown the console.

What is the point of Mocha? It seems like CBHC gives you everything you possibly need and Mocha just makes your Wii U bootup longer with no real benefits.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
There's no "point" to it. it's just a possibility.
Having choices, because it's possible.
Dimok developed his own way of patching the firmware (Mocha), Fix94 developed his own way of patching the firmware (CBHC, and now haxchi too).
they are two different options doing the same thing. one is faster than the other (CBHC), one has additional option (redNAND with Mocha).

No real "point", it wasn't developed to achieve something special.
use CBHC or haxchi.
it's like telling what's the point of Wiiflow, there's already CFG loader or USBLoaderGX loading games from USB...
that's different homebrew from different developers, doing the same things differently.

Mocha is only a way to patch the firmware with onscreen user's choice (ON/OFF lot of choices at boot, directly from the console) compared to fw.img where you had to patch them on computer, while CBHC doesn't let you choose any patched option.

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
of course.
redNAND has no real purpose for players. it's more for developers/hackers.
Just press B and you get patches for piracy until you shutdown the console.
Does that go for homebrew developers too? I might go past just the 3DS scene and start developing for the Wii U.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it depends what your homebrew will do.
it it's a homebrew game, there's no need of redNAND.
it it's a homebrew editing the file's system (setting editor, theme changer, SEEPROM edition, etc.) then you'd better use redNAND to not mess your original file system while testing your program.
that's just common sense, If you think you are doing something dangerous which can brick, use redNAND.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
of course.
redNAND has no real purpose for players. it's more for developers/modders.
Just press B with haxchi and you get patches for piracy until you shutdown the console.

There's no "point" to it. it's just a possibility.
Having choices, because it's possible.
Dimok developed his own way of patching the firmware (Mocha), Fix94 developers his own way of patching the firmware (CBHC, and now haxchi too).
they are two different options doing the same thing. one is faster than the other (CBHC), one has additional option (redNAND with Mocha).

No real "point", it wasn't developed to achieve something special.
use CBHC or haxchi.
it's like telling what's the point of Wiiflow, there's already CFG loader or USBLoaderGX loading games from USB...
that's different homebrew from different developers, doing the same things differently.

Mocha is only a way to patch the firmware with onscreen user's choice (ON/OFF lot of choices at boot, directly from the console) compared to fw.img where you had to patch them on computer, while CBHC doesn't let you choose any patched option.
I wasnt trying to put down Mocha or the developer himself. I just got back into Wii U homebrew after 1-2 months for the dust to settle from IOSUhax being released and wanted to wait before doing anything. I had no idea what all these different things were for, and yes I agree more choice is a good thing.

Azmort

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok, so I missed the part about unplugging the USB, should I just start to cry?
Edit:
It works without the HDD connected, so, should I uninstall and reinstall without HDD?
Edit 2: It just booted once, I think it's gone :'c
Edit 3: Finally I found that I wasn't turning completely off the console, I'm fine c:

Last edited by Azmort,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't worry I didn't take it badly. it's just that there's no real "use" right now, except if you want redNAND. and even redNAND could be done with firmware booter+fw.img.
The usefulness could be found later, when more patches could be added by anyone (a patch to block download from NUS, etc.), it's just easy to add patches with Mocha, and you have a menu.
Maybe Mocha could add a "plugin" system, where addresses to patch could be placed in a folder, instead of recompiling mocha every time.
nus_patch.txt
address to patch : value
address to patch : value
etc.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it "was" free.
if you connected your account to eShop at the time they had that free game, your console will still has it for free.
if you bought the console recently or never connected, or anything which makes that you are new to eShop, then the game is not free as it was a time limited offer.
Or maybe that's not free in all countries?

That answer on the FAQ has been edited. (initially it was " If your console is European, maybe you have Brain Training for free.")
Get another game if you don't have any free game, either one you know you will never play (because haxchi and CBHC will replace it and you can't play it!) or the cheapest one if you don't care which game you pick.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
Last edited by C0mm4nd_,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Haxhi is not needed/mandatory to play games.

Haxchi serves two purposes :
1. get an easy way to boot homebrew without using the browser hax method (no more internet or server to visit to launch the homebrew launcher)
2. recently, haxchi can also patch the system to remove the "signature check" function, which is mandatory to play "bad signed" games.

so, things you need to know :

• Not all games are bad signed. if you install a game which has a good ticket (ticket extracted from a disc for example) then you don't need the signature check to be patched/removed. that game will work fine with a clean and original WiiU. No haxchi or CFW needed.

• Some games requires the signature patch, for example all eShop games or DLC (because they are naturally tied to a specific console, so if you want a pirated eShop game to work on YOUR console instead of the console where that game was originally bought, then you need the signature check function patched, to let you install and launch it)

• Patching the signature check can be done by different methods.
- Haxchi (installed channel, require an OFFICIAL and bought NDS VC game)
- Coldboot Haxchi (installed channel, requires an OFFICIAL and bought NDS VC game)
- Simple signature patcher (homebrew, launched from the homebrew launcher)
- Mocha (homebrew, launched from the homebrew launcher)

if you don't mind using the browserhax to launch homebrew, then use "simple signature patcher" to remove the install/launch protection for bad-signed games.
Remember, you don't always need signature patch, just install/launch games from your same region, originating from a Disc, and that's fine.

Other region, eShop, illegal DLC or game from DISC but with a bad ticket (forged instead of extracted from a real disc), will require the signature+region free patch to be installed or launched.

Edit:
oh, and, update your console to 5.5.1!
that's the only version with all supported and released hacking tools.
nobody is working on making homebrew or exploits for older firmware anymore.

edit2 :
here is my own guide to hack the wiiu by installing haxchi.
https://gbatemp.net/posts/6953376

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.