What is going on?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by cruddybuddy, Oct 24, 2009.

Oct 24, 2009

What is going on? by cruddybuddy at 9:26 PM (1,129 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. cruddybuddy
    OP

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

United States
    No offense, but I doubt anyone here will be able to figure this out. However, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Somewhere along the lines I installed some wad, or did something to the Wii, so that now I almost always have to boot my Wii into maintenance mode (otherwise nothing happens when I press A). Once in the menu, I can use the homebrew channel, run games, etc. And if I go into the HB channel and run something that reboots the Wii, I can load the Wii menu without going into maintenance mode.

Also, whenever I play a game, if I pause the game and tell it to return to the Wii menu, it shows the little white boxes (the watermark animation that appears right before the Wii menu loads) but the actual menu won't load.

So, what gives? I've got bootmii installed both ways, and as I said before, I can get into the wii menu through maintenance mode, but if I return to the Wii menu from in a game, then I can't get back in until I activate maintenance mode again. Oh, and one more thing. If I get into the Wii menu through maintenance mode, and then power off the wii with the remote, I can usually power on the Wii just fine without using maintenance mode, that is, until I try to return to the main menu from within a game.

Okay, so what the heck is going on?

I'm running system menu 4.0U, and I have been as high as 4.1U and I have also downgraded to 3.2u and back to 4.0u again in the past.

2. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    Preloader, perhaps? Try to reinstall the System Menu WAD, just to be sure.

3. cruddybuddy
    OP

United States
    I've reinstalled the system menu. Actually, I've downgraded the system menu, just to be sure, but I get the same problems. Also, I looked into preloader, but I'm not sure how that would help me. Could you explain?

4. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well I think he was saying it could be preloader asked to run on a bad IOS which could cause the issue, for example, running it on the bootmii IOS 254 will cause a pretty much never ending loop unless you choose to end it.

Is there anything that could have moved the system menu perhaps? It doesn't sound like an IOS issue, if it happens on any game. Very weird.

5. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    may be a banner brick, load wad manager from HBC and uninstall the WAD you installed before the problem occured

6. cruddybuddy
    OP

United States
    All signs point to it being a banner brick, you're right. I do not have the original wad, and I don't even think I could get it again. You see, I was stupid and I installed some injected wads a while back, and I think one of those was the problem. I doubt I could even download it again; I think it was probably a year ago.

I tried AnyTitle deleter, but I get an error message. It deletes the titles, but I have a feeling not everything is gone.

I also tried the Comex formatter, just for fun, and it hangs on installing some of the wads, so I'm out of luck there. (In case you're wondering, I have a NAND backup, but not one from before the banner brick)

UPDATE: Okay, it looks like they are still out there in a torrent. I'm downloading now and I'll let you know how it goes.

7. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    ATD DB or the MOD from RedSquirrel? If you're using the first, just be sure you have installed a patched/trucha bugged version of the IOS 36, as the app uses it to do its functions. If you get an error, don't worry, they'll be deleted just fine (you can explore the NAND contents with FSToolBox and you'll notice the NAND:/title/00010001/XXXXXXXX folders from the channel data are, mostly, gone).