What is GBAtemp’s legacy?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Mr. Looigi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Mr. Looigi
    OP

Mr. Looigi UwU

Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Rec Center
    Serious question directed at the administration that’ll get derailed

2. AmandaRose
    This message by AmandaRose has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Apr 23, 2019, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Apr 23, 2019
  3. dAVID_
    This message by dAVID_ has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Apr 23, 2019, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Apr 23, 2019
  4. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    GBAtemp's legacy is whatever you make of it.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  5. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    From what I've heard (and I think it's written somewhere on the wiki) temp used to be a warez site distributing gba roms, that would change location every once in a while (hence "temp" in the name).
    But later it was decided to become a forum instead, and all warez were removed.

I'll see if I can find the wiki page and edit in a link to it.

Edit: Found the wiki page.
    https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GBAtemp.net#History

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Apr 23, 2019
    Mr. Looigi likes this.
  6. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    A pretty bad reputation.
    Thanks to all these children scaring serious people away.
    Those who stayed learned to not give a damn and carry on with their things, leaving some pretty good people at least.

Flame, yusuo, Stwert and 4 others like this.
  7. leafeon34

leafeon34 You suck.

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    GBAtemp is where you go to release content for end-users with minimal technical knowledge. During the development phase, developers should stick to their more serious websites so they can actually get stuff done.

With that said, you can find meaningful content worth reading here and if you ask for advice there’s a high probability that someone who knows what he or she is talking about will respond.

EDIT: For example:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/which-search-engine-do-you-use-most.536385/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/looking-to-improve-my-japanese-i-want-to-get-better-3.533790/

Last edited by leafeon34, Apr 23, 2019
    Mr. Looigi likes this.
  8. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    Yeah the noobs are everywhere but they are easy to deal with. Look at USA politics, they act like little salty 10 year olds that got pwned on some first person shooter.

Id have to say, GBATemp does not have a legacy yet because its still current.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  9. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    That's true, I cannot disagree with this.

Mr. Looigi and x65943 like this.
  10. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Likely it’ll be remembered by those familiar with it for a very tight knit community of loyal users. Outside of that, I’d wager it’ll be thought of as the best hub and entry-point for people interested in homebrew or flashcarts or similar such things. There’s something to be said for a forum that’s lasted this long and still has a massive userbase.

Mr. Looigi and VinsCool like this.
  11. zomborg

zomborg Makin Temp great again

Apr 17, 2015
    United States
    To me temps legacy is substantial. In the early days they were one of many sites where you could go to get your game on. (your rom fix) Then over time as rom sites fell by the way side (taken down, cetc.) Temp became one of the only sites who were able to adapt and transform into something else that has actually been successful. All others who tried to change, after the roms went away, died because no one wanted to be there without the roms and those sites were unsuccessful in their transition approach.
    When you no longer have anything to offer the masses, you can't survive. It's adapt or die.
    The legacy? Simple. Adapt, resist and thrive.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  12. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Piracy and ways to pirate stuff.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    LEGACY is a entirely different group, unrelated to the release group GBATEMP. Learn to differentiate the trash, man.

14. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp verrückt

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Legacy of GBAtemp:

A Quote from our Indian/Hindu Spam friend (was here in the forum the last week):

prem museebat nirmaata madad samaadhaanprem museebat nirmaata madad samaadhaan
    prem museebat nirmaata madad samaadhaanprem museebat nirmaata madad samaadhaan
    प्रेम मुसीबत निर्माता मदद समाधानप्रेम मुसीबत निर्माता मदद समाधानप्रेम मुसीबत निर्माता मदद समाधान
    प्रेम मुसीबत निर्माता मदद समाधानप्रेम मुसीबत निर्माता मदद समाधानप्रेम मुसीबत निर्माता मदद समाधान

:wacko:

15. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    Tutorials to avoid a Nintendo ban.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  16. Tsukimori

Tsukimori Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2019
    United States
    Its legacy is the site that shows up as the first Google result for idiot-proof hacking tutorials. Sometimes you don't want to think and just want to do.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  17. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    Margen67 is really the greatest thing it brought to the forefront. But in all seriousness, taking money out of Nintendo's pocket.

18. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland

As someone who’s been around since the start (not with this account, wish I could get my old one back) this sounds about right.

I’ve always loved the camaraderie of this forum. There are some genuinely great people on here. Sure you’ll get your fair share of cockwombles being annoying. But that can be said of any forum.