What is gateway? And what was it meant for)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by doughmay, Jan 9, 2017.

1. doughmay
    OP

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    Hey! So I'm kind of new to the 3DS hacking scene and I came across a thread about gateway. I know it's a flashcart but I want to know what's special about it, and why it's not very popular anymore..

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Hyoretsu likes this.
  3. doughmay
    OP

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    EDIT: I read it, seems like there were a few sacrifices and scandals to get to where we are today, I had no idea any of this happened and it's very interesting to me.

Last edited by doughmay, Jan 9, 2017
    zoogie likes this.
  4. CreAtor135

CreAtor135 GBATemp's #1 Nothing

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    Gateway is the company that had the first public method of piracy on the 3DS, and the very first 'CFW' (3DS CFW isn't exactly custom firmware, but more like a series of patches that enable piracy.). They were the first to have a few exploits that have become important today, like firmlaunchhax, and memchunkhax, as well as the first ones to have things like an actual implementation of the MSET bug documented by ichtfly, their Spider browser exploit, MSET Downgrading on N3DS and regular downgrading. emuNAND. These were later reverse-engineered and made public by popular members of the scene.

Stuff like rxTools and Pasta were closely (and loosely) based on Gateway's exploits.

As of late there's no use in having the cart due to free open source CFW becoming just as capable as them, and people hate them as a company because they bricked companies that tried to clone their work and sell it. This once affected legitimate Gateway owners, but ever since it's made its return, there haven't been any reports of this.

tl;dr, they were the leaders of the scene for a time with their variety of exploits and later became obsolete after those exploits were reverse engineered and documented to the public. CFW has come far and sort of left Gateway behind, and due to some of the actions made by the company, (extremely long wait for N3DS support, brick code) they have been looked down upon by the community and have become sort of a meme.

smileyhead and Ominous66521 like this.
  5. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    gateway is now used for roms and actual cheat support. if you dont want either of them a gateway is not for you.

6. doughmay
    OP

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    Meme XD. for a short time I was thinking of getting a gateway in May 2016. I decided against it instead waiting for a major hack in the 10.X OFWS. But now with 11.2 all was released, and I now have cfw. Guess I'm glad I didn't buy one.

7. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    about 7 with copy cards were bricked. personally i believe they deserve it for trying to cheat a company out if its money. noone was bricked with the legitimate card.

8. doughmay
    OP

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    It makes sense tbh.

McWhiters9511 likes this.
  9. CreAtor135

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    No no there were a couple. Maybe about 3? Gateway offered to fix these people's 3DSes, since they would encrypt your NAND making it unable to restore without a Raspberry Pi. I remember one person who sent his 3DS in and apparently it got 'lost in shipping' lmao. One dropped out of the scene and moved on with their lives. The last one was @gamesquest1 I believe who just fixed his 3DS himself and turned down Gateway's offer. He actually caught one of these bricks on camera

10. Columbo2811

Columbo2811 GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 19, 2015
    Won't be long now that with the new hax's available that gateway will make an announcement for 11.2 downgrades. There gonna be all over it soon.

11. CreAtor135

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    ye

12. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    If they still make people to use emuNAND or won't do FIRM0/1 protection on their A9LH loader, I think less people gonna buy it.
    Someone just screw up cause of this around last week.

13. doughmay
    OP

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    I watched the video.... Dang. Just wow.

14. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I just hope gateway team does a guilt-release (a la Cobra 7.00 source on PS3) of the source code for CCI/3DS Rom loading.... There's no way I'll be converting/redownloading my 200 gigabytes of games....

15. doughmay
    OP

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    200 Gigabytes....Is that an exaggeration?! If it isn't....Just....I have no words....

16. CreAtor135

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    Yep. But, that's old and totally outdated. What we need is a new way to brick legitimate Gateway users :evil:

Well it's not their A9LH payload that needs firm protection. It's their CFW itself. It does have firm patches, but they're not really well implemented, so updating on an O3DS that doesn't use emuNAND will remove your hax and updating an N3DS that doesn't use emuNAND will brick. It sucks but they know what to do to fix this :^)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Tbh I doubt it :^) You think those guys are gonna give back to the community that completely destroyed their business?

17. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    Hope they fix it soon, althoufh it more easier to reinstall A9LH this day, there always a risk of bricking though.

18. Jao Chu

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Yeah, you read that correct... 3DS roms have a considerably larger file size compared to CIAs (they have firmware updates inside, I believe and) and I never bothered trimming roms because I ran a 128 GB microSD which was ample space.

19. doughmay
    OP

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    OH! That makes sense, I thought they were CIA's and I was like you must have the whole 3ds library. But Roms make more sense

20. Jao Chu

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Cobra Team did it, though and earnt back a lot of the respect they lost from the GIB FREE HAX crew and the scene in general.

I dont think any piracy device companies scope their business model around their device being the be-all-end-all solution for the entire duration of a consoles hacking scene.

It's such a volatile and changing market, pretty sure the idea is to just make heaps of cash and then go and retire on a beach in the Bahamas...

Credit where credit is due though, the scene wouldn't be where it is today without Gateway reverse engineering the original MSET exploit that the 3DBrew crew were sitting on for a whopping 2 years with no plan for a release, ever.

Yellows8 and Neimod absolutely loved teasing us with their "We hacked it picture" while their co-conspirators were stealing thousands of dollars for the chip recapping fundraiser.....