Gaming What is considered a good processor?

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There's this laptop im looking at and processor is a "Intel® Pentium™ Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache)" and its RAM is "3GB, DDR3, 1066MHZ, 1 SoDIMM".

Is the processor any good? What games will it allow me to play? What about Crysis on low or even on medium?

There's an option too where I can change the processor to a "Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)" or a "Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6500 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)". How much better would gaming be? Thanks.

jphriendly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What type of video card does it have? Onboard just won't cut it if you intend to play Crysis or the like no matter what the processor, etc is.

If it was me, I'd upgrade to the 2.4GHz as that's a bit of a boost to the FSB and the cache. And yes, the Core2Duo is a nice chip.
smile.gif

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jphriendly said:
What type of video card does it have? Onboard just won't cut it if you intend to play Crysis or the like no matter what the processor, etc is.

If it was me, I'd upgrade to the 2.4GHz as that's a bit of a boost to the FSB and the cache. And yes, the Core2Duo is a nice chip.
smile.gif

The video card is a "nvidia geforce 9400m-g"

Also do you know what a Bright LED display is? It's an option to choose it but I have no idea what it is. It boosts the display from a 700p to a 900p.

jphriendly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the Bright LED, I believe it's a newer power-efficient display.

While I can't say for sure if that video card will play Crysis (should be able to handle atleast low I would think), you can get a better idea of what it will be able to do here.

Hope this helps you make a decision. Maybe someone can post some better ideas just as to what you can plan on that card being able to handle.
smile.gif

shadowkillerdrag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not really sure how much that video card could handle but you probably would need to stray away from high to max quality settings in order to keep the fps at good levels. Not so sure about crysis tho
Try googling benchmark results ppl have gotten from that video card Google is your best friend xD

I also recommend getting the 2.4 ghz chip as that would be a good boost to the computer.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Feels Good Man said:
jphriendly said:

smile.gif

The video card is a "nvidia geforce 9400m-g"

Also do you know what a Bright LED display is? It's an option to choose it but I have no idea what it is. It boosts the display from a 700p to a 900p.

its a pretty rubbish card with shared memory, It won't do much.

LED display probably just means it uses a LED backlight, generally they are lighter and more power efficient.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Why do so many people worry if whether or not their new laptop will be able to run Crysis? Who cares? It's a TERRIBLE game, if you want to play it for eye candy then go right ahead, but expect to spend over $600 on a Desktop PC to play it on high/max settings, but if you're playing it for gameplay, don't bother. It's terrible.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Law said:
Why do so many people worry if whether or not their new laptop will be able to run Crysis? Who cares? It's a TERRIBLE game, if you want to play it for eye candy then go right ahead, but expect to spend over $600 on a Desktop PC to play it on high/max settings, but if you're playing it for gameplay, don't bother. It's terrible.

its turned into a benchmark really. one of the comments i usually hear after someone buys a new system and posts about it somewhere is "how well can it run crysis"

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
.Radiant said:
Law said:

its turned into a benchmark really. one of the comments i usually hear after someone buys a new system and posts about it somewhere is "how well can it run crysis"

My reply to that would be the same as what I've written. "Why should you care? Crysis is a terrible game".

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels Good Man said:
There's this laptop im looking at and processor is a "Intel® Pentium™ Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache)" and its RAM is "3GB, DDR3, 1066MHZ, 1 SoDIMM".

Is the processor any good? What games will it allow me to play? What about Crysis on low or even on medium?

There's an option too where I can change the processor to a "Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)" or a "Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6500 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)". How much better would gaming be? Thanks.

I wouldn't bother with the Nvidia Geforce 9400m-g unless you want to be lowering all game settings.

The minimum graphics card you want is a 9800m GS, even a 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo will be enough paired with that one. The GPU is the most important factor in gaming.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
Pentium processors are aimed at rising countries and to poor people. Get the Core2Duo....better yet...get a Centrino 2 powered laptop (Core2Duo+WiFiN/WiMax/some other chip I forgot) search for it at wikipedia

Core2Duo have reasonal price tag and it will not put a moth (sometimes a butterfly for girls) on your wallet. I'm a tech guy and I know how to choose a laptop.

QUOTE said:
For 3D graphics and/or utilization of Windows Vista, the main mobile 3D chips out there are made by NVIDIA and ATI (a.k.a. AMD). NVIDIA has a lot more models to choose from, but it basically breaks down to the GeForce 8000 series (including 8700, 8400, etc.), which is DirectX 10-compatible for the latest games, and the GeForce 7000 series, which is DirectX 9-compatible. AMD/ATI’s Radeon 1000 series (either 1250 or 1100) are both just DirectX 9-compatible. However, at this point the vast majority of games only require DirectX 9, and most people don’t do too much intense 3D gaming on their laptops.
http://www.geek.com/laptop-video-cards/

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobil...30.13973.0.html

I would suggest a higher form if you want to play crysis but it's a good card for a DDR3 GPU. If I'll be buying, I'll get this one but I need to search more for a better card. it's an underclocked from a desktop model. as a gamer, try looking for other cards.

didnt notice the higher form of this card is for a desktop

why not buy/build a desktop counterpart? unless you will use it while traveling.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pentium Dual Cores are just Core2Duos with defective L2 Cache...this gets deactivated and sold as Pentium Dual Core by Intel...nothing with rising countries...where you got that?

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well here's one I found:

Components
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition, 64-bit SP1
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8700 (2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Microsoft Works 9 DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
1 Year Limited Warranty w/1 Year Return To Depot Service
15.6” Full High Definition (1080p) High Brightness LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera/Facial Reco
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
8X Slot Load Super Multi (DL DVD+/-R Drive + RAM support)
85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Dell 1510 Wireless-N Card
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB
Black Chainlink

It's not going to be mainly used for games but be rather used for school (im taking Game Development). I just want a good laptop because I play games on my spare time and I would like something that could play mostly everything right now on the market so I dont have to upgrade anytime soon and that's why I mentioned Crysis since that's probably one of the most demanding PC games out now.

I have a few questions. How big is the difference from normal speakers to the "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB"? Also, is a 1080p screen worth it? or should I just settle for a 720p?

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels Good Man said:
I would like something that could play mostly everything right now on the market so I dont have to upgrade anytime soon and that's why I mentioned Crysis since that's probably one of the most demanding PC games out now.

The only way you will be able to play mostly everything on the market without having to upgrade in the near future would be to get a 256 Bit high end GPU such as the 8800, 9800 or the GTX 260M.

If you don't mind having to constantly play at lower resolutions, lower settings and at possibly slower fps then a mid range card will be fine for you, something like the Nvidia 9500M GS or 9650 GT.

If you buy a laptop with a high end GPU in it now, you will be paying a lot for it but it will save you in the long run.

The 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 in that laptop you mentioned is a low - mid range card, it is only 64 Bit and to get good performance in any GPU intensive games (most games) you are likely to end up playing at really low resolutions.

My gaming laptop has a GTX 260M and I can play Crysis on high, GTA IV on high, Oblivion on high etc. Take a look here at my performance thread:

Although I have a 2.0 Ghz Q9000 Quad CPU, 98% of the games I tested are only Dual Core optimised so technically, my laptop would be seen as a 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo.

http://tinyurl.com/Q9000-Performance-Thread

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over