What is Cloudflare and how can I speed it up?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Would anyone be able to tell me what Cloudflare (DdoS protection) is and how it works precisely? I understand that it checks my browser, but what specifically? The history, cache, stored data? But above all: why in my case the control lasts more or less ten minutes, while for others a few seconds? And still this morning I couldn't access here in any way. In my case, I use Android Chrome on Smartphone or Tablet,
if you need to know.
Thanks.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks @linuxares. Unfortunately, in the cache I have important data like passwords for this and other more important sites that (stupidly) I didn't note down, and don't remember anymore. Can you, or anyone else, tell me what part I can delete of the cached data without being logged out of the various sites where I'm registered?

RocaBOT

Yo best puppy (but automated 🙃)
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Application cache on android is a finicky thing. Look at the options inside your app (and not the ones in the Android settings) to see if you can delete browsing cache alone (instead of the whole "app cache" like in the Android settings), since that would be the same as content cache on desktop browsers (hence not containing passwords).
On an other note, there may even be a page in the options of your browser to see the stored passwords, so you can save them somewhere more secure, maybe check it out just in case that exists (as it does on desktop browsers) ;)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll rant here too!

I had issues loading gbatemp yesterday from my phone. It checked, and checked, and checked loop for 10 minutes.
It worked when using wifi, but didn't when using Phone Data connection. it eventually let me see it after 10 minutes, but if I'm not home I don't have wifi available.

Plus, on computer since gbatemp uses cloudflare, I often get page loaded twiced when I click on a link, so I have to "go back twice" to return to previous page :/

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you both. @Cyan, as you can see, the exact same thing happened to me, yesterday I couldn't get into the site until late in the evening, and after 12 minutes of Cloudflare checking my browser. This morning the same thing. I take comfort that I'm not the only one.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@RocaBOT, you were right! There is a page in Chrome that stores passwords, username and linked site. I copied all of them down. Now I might as well delete the browser cache, which is what's causing the problems. All these informations was helpful, but I think I'll give the points to you in the end. For now, I'll wait.

RocaBOT

Yo best puppy (but automated 🙃)
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Very glad to hear your browser was advanced enough to have that separate page to retrieve your stored information, it should be a norm but definitely is missing in some cases. I hope that helps with cloudflare while the website is forced to use that (and also hoping we'll get better solutions soon, I know too well that web/IT admin tasks are not the easiest, and finding the best solution and putting it in place can be long and time consuming. Best of luck to the staff working on that <3)

@Thesolcity the thing is he's using an android-powered device, so web browsers are sometimes not well designed on there, and the system has an "application cache" system that stores all the local user data of the app, so if he was to clean that instead of the in-browser content cache, he'd have deleted all the user data of his browser - including saved passwords and cookies!

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Important:
Before clearing all the cache on my smartphone, I tried to connect here on my tablet, after completely clearing its Chrome cache. To my surprise and disappointment, it still took several minutes to let me in.
So it seems to be a problem with Android Chrome, independent of the size of the cache to check!
And as I read in the recent thread in the Discussions and Suggestions section, it also affects Android Firefox. At this point I'm waiting for other solutions...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a