What is "CleanDS"?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Telix, Nov 27, 2005.

Nov 27, 2005

What is "CleanDS"? by Telix at 5:39 AM (2,938 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Telix
    OP

Newcomer Telix Member

United States
    I see ROMS being listed as "CleanDS #XXXX". Searching for the term and googling CleanDS reveals nothing. I imagine it is some kind of verification tool like Offlinelist? Or is it just some term that gets attached to any "clean" dump?

2. TPi

Former Staff TPi One Tired Raccoon

Canada
    CleanDS = a Clean DS dump. Some people on the newsgroups used that to differ between patched games for specific hardware, homebrews, demos, nuked games, etc.

3. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    CleanDS is the ROM you want to download generally.

PatchedDS is a ROM you want to download that doesn't load normally.

4. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    clean ds roms are meant for normal operation, saving to the ds slot (slot 1)
    Patched DS Roms are meant for those with gba flash carts (supercard, etc) in their DS's who play DS games from the GBA slot (slot 2) so all it does is it redirects your save from going to slot1 like it usually would, to slot 2 so you have it on your flashcart.

5. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I thought Clean DS roms meant (among other things) they had an encrypted secure area, which means they will not work on carts like the m3/g6/sc unless you run them through ndstool to decrypt them.

6. neojei

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know much about this stuff yet, as I don't have a flashcart yet, but isn't the Clean DS a raw dump? Isn't that what you want to get first? Then you patch it to run on a flashcart. How would you know the rom you downloade is clean?

7. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

I use the NDSCRC tool. All of the dumps it recognizes work correctly in my prefered devices (M3 & SC). Get it in the forums at http://www.advanscene.com/ . It actually downloads updated XML's on command....and all of the files that are supposedly "correct" according to this are the labeled "CleanDS" files. Well, they work perfectly on my devices..

8. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    CleanDS is just a thing used on newsgroups letting you know it's a clean dump, it doesn't mean the secure area is encrypted or anything like that. Basically those are the ones you wanna get.