Hacking what is cios_fix for exactly and why won't the bugger install?

Midnight Tboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Heylos.....

okies so I ran from a 3.3E box, following a guide guide to get the homebrew channel etc working, downgrade to 3.2E and install starfall

I managed to downgrade to 3.2E, install Homebrew Channel, Gamma Loader etc no problem.....however the step it says to install cios_fix simply refuses to work.

The other issue I did have is after downgrading the gamma loader failed to work giving dvd read errors.....simply reinstalling the gamma loader steps from the instructions resolved that issue fine.

I've googled and read umpteen pages on this cios_fix but can't seem to find an exact answer to fix the problem.

When using Wad Manager I get error 1022 when trying to install it.

After a few searches, I read some advice to install Custom Wad Manager (which I believe is wadmanagerios16.rar) and use that instead of Wad Manager 1.3 (or is it 1.2 - not at wii at mo).

I downloaded and ran that wadmanagerios16. Oddly it came up with the logos and version number of Wad Manager instead of its own display? Presume it was maybe a modified version of the original. Anyways, on this I ran the cios_fix, but instead of Error 1022 I get Error 1035 with that one?

Sooooooo...what on earth do we actually need this cios_fix for? Is there any workaround for getting it on if its essential? I did look at the wiki backup launcher compatability pages, and there seems to be an indication that its used to fix a few problems with the backup loader. Does this perhaps help speed up the ridiculous choppiness of fmv sequences in scenes such as Mario Galaxies? I take it the fmv and choppiness are a work in progress for the gamma loader, as it doesnt affect the discs when running on a chipped machine.

cheers

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
you cant downgrade without the ciosfix so you must've got it to work somehow, the ciosfix lets the ios downgrader run without the error message

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You skipped a step when doing the downgrade - most people do.

Its says to downgrade the IOS and then downgrade the cIOS - you downgraded the cIOS but not the IOS - it stops you installing the cios_fix wad - go through the steps again - if you need another guide theres one in my sig in small writing.

You may also have not installed ios16 and the custom wad manager that allows you to install the stuff using ios16 - best to start it all again from scratch with the correct files (check the sig)

Midnight Tboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the replies. I'll have to compare the guide you have with the one I used. The guide was a different one from another UK based forum.

First things first though would be to work out how to uninstall it all so that its back to a stock system? Is there any general guide on how to uninstall everything thats relevant?

Also, if games etc are actually working, then whats the actual beneit of putting this cios_fix on? does it improve those mentioned load times and increased compatability?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All the original files and guides have come from here - anything else is a copied one usually taken from a guide on here and paraphrased and usaully missing some info

I was one of the Beta testers for gamma and wrote the original guide before it was released officially - my guides are usually up to date and tested quite a bit - as are most of the guides on this site - like emperorofcanadas, big moes, noobwarriors and all the other regulars.

If your going to look for any guides from now on , try to get them here as they guys here know their stuff - most other sites are just parroting things.

As for cIOS fox - no benifit when it comes to games - you prob cant install any new wads with your present system though, so any updates probably wont work - like new channels etc etc.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@the thread starter:
cios_fix would install itself as IOS249. But if you have Gamma installed and working, the cIOS you need for Gamma is installed as IOS249. If you now would install the cios_fix, Gamma would stop working. The cios_fix is used in the guide, because it's one of the most easy to get cIOS you can install with the IOS16-Wad Manager. The cIOS36rev7 you have now, should be superior in every way.

Midnight Tboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
djtaz said:
As for cIOS fox - no benifit when it comes to games - you prob cant install any new wads with your present system though, so any updates probably wont work - like new channels etc etc.

hmmm strange...I can install Wads, as once I got it working, I installed a couple of games (World Of Goo Pal), and 3 or 4 VC games as a test. I did notice however on testing that 2 of the VC games were NTSC (it's a Pal box), and those locked up the Wii kind of how some US games do on my chipped Wii so I presume they have to always be pal. So.....if no benefit for the games side of things...and I can install wads, then there prob is no point in trying to get this CIOS_Fix installing unless it's likely to be causing problems later down the line?

nutta_nic said:
i'm thinking he had 3.3v1 installed and downgraded

Correct....I think....parents machine had never been connected and only used with Wii Fit, and was showing 3.3E - I don't know whether it was v1 or v2 though

QUOTE(WiiPower @ Jan 4 2009, 12:41 AM)
@the thread starter:
cios_fix would install itself as IOS249. But if you have Gamma installed and working, the cIOS you need for Gamma is installed as IOS249. If you now would install the cios_fix, Gamma would stop working. The cios_fix is used in the guide, because it's one of the most easy to get cIOS you can install with the IOS16-Wad Manager. The cIOS36rev7 you have now, should be superior in every way.

I got lost with all the cios and ios's lol
smile.gif

Heres the steps I took (refering to instructions)

1. installed homebrew channel by the twilight method.
2. Ran wadmanager 1.3 for the first time.
3. WHOOOAAAAAAAHHHH....here's where I think I made a booboo though seems ok.......
The instructions said (and stupid me must have ignored it)....additional steps for v3.4 users.........install the ios16.wad then reset. (Back to the steps I was meant to have done
unsure.gif
)
4. relaunch wadmanager and install cIOS_249.wad, then install BackupChannel.wad

BACKUP CHANNELS WERE THEN INSTALLED
5. I then tested a backup which worked fine (just a bit jerky)

6. I then followed how "to get to 3.2e and install Starfall" which I believe was :-
7. ran cios downgrader 1.2 and downgraded to 3.2E
8. Wadmanager install ios16-64-257-prod.wad, then install the cios_fix.wad (where I encounted the 1022 error)
9. Run IOS_Downgrader_1.0 app and install cios_249.wad
10. Ran Starfall and configured.

I then noticed afterwards that my backups failed to load in Gamma and got disc read error.....so I reran step 4...this got my backups working again....
I don't believe I missed any of the steps out from above, but if I did then I'm guessing I might have run CIOS Downgrader instead of IOS Downgrader in my Step 9. Could that have been a problem or perhaps why my backups failed to launch again?

Sooo WiiPower....the Cios36Rev7 you say.....is there any way I can tell exactly what is installed and running on my machine to know if I'm missing anything so to speak and to know if its the better version?

Midnight Tboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ether2802 said:
if you use wad manager and look at my sig you will know you have the cIOS36_r7...!!!
smile.gif

I take it when you say "look at my sig" you mean an option or info on the wad manager screen......unless you mean your signature on here being "pick my face"
tongue.gif
lol

Well...errrrr.....I'll check the Wad Manager in the morning see if I can pick your face on there
smile.gif
need some z's now as its near 2am...and I have a 9month old baby so I'll be up shortly no doubt
frown.gif

Midnight Tboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
aha lol - just noticed your smiley face is clickable....how dumb of me
smile.gif
It's late is my excuse(!)

okies so I've got the ios249_r7.wad
smile.gif
So if I run that in Wad Manager in the morning...what should I expect to hopefully see? Some sort of "this is already installed" message? Or just install itself overwriting whatever cios is on there currently?

Midnight Tboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ether2082... I ran and installed the ios249_r7.wad you sent me. Installed fine, checked to see if a game still worked and all fine yayyyy....of course I don't even know if it did anything
smile.gif
lol haven't a clue whats actually on that wii now
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?