What is a Xorpad? and other terminology questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by naivegirl2411, Nov 7, 2015.

1. naivegirl2411
    OP

naivegirl2411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    Hello Gbatemp community,

I would like to know what a xorpad is and how it relates to CIA/3DS rom installation. I understand that legit CIAS would be cias bundled with consoles and that you can safely install these without bricking your 3ds but I also learnt that some CIAs require a xorpad (?) and I havent seen a thread defining this on gbatemp so id like to know what a xorpad is and some applications of it?

2. wsquan171

wsquan171 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    wsquan171 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2015
    China
    The original 3ds rom is encrypted, while a decrypted rom is required to make the cia. Xorpad is the table generated on 3ds which can be later used on PC to perform a bit by bit XOR operation on the original rom to get the decypted one. For now an exploitable firmware is needed to generate xorpad. You can use rxtools if you're under 9.2.

3. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
  4. naivegirl2411
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Ah ok so from what I understand a xorpad is used to decrypt your retail copy of a game in order to create a cia and therefore you can play the game without carrying the cartridge. My new question is this, why do people want to decrypt their rom when they could just install the cia of it? I guess if you want to keep your private header and online functions it would help

5. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Well someone will have to be the first to do so (converting).

6. naivegirl2411
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Thanks for this, I don't know coding but I'll try to understand as much as I can

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah that makes sense, thank you

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Also read this if you want to know how it works https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_or

Subtle Demise likes this.