What is a legit .CIA and what makes them different from illegit .CIA?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by d0k3, Apr 11, 2015.

1. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Oh well, I already feel stupid for asking because everyone and their dog already seems to know the answer to this. But, Google and GBATemp haven't helped me so far, so I my question ist:

What actually is a legit .CIA? And, what makes a legit .CIA a clean .CIA? A quick answer will suffice, I already know what a .CIA is.

Speculation from here: I assume a legit .CIA is from an eShop title you actually purchased and created, f.e. with FunkyCIA. Legit .CIA seem to contain stuff that illegit ones (ones created from .3DS files or downloaded from the net) don't have. For this reason, legit .CIAs are installable (without any additional tools or hardware?) on an unmodified SysNAND. I have no idea what makes a .CIA a 'clean' .CIA.

EDIT: Already perfectly solved, and we also have a sticky for that now.

R4ismychildhood likes this.

2. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    legit cia are cia's ripped from a console that had them preinstalled (such as ORAS, MH4U etc) and can be installed onto a sysNAND, because they have a generic title key (i may be wrong here)

3. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    You mean in theory they can be installed onto ANY 3DS sysNAND, not just the one they came with?

4. Death78793

Death78793 What is this, a first person shooter?

Jan 16, 2015
    Exactly. The reason for this is because the cia's ticket is generic and when installed to another console, it treats the cia as if the console had the game preinstalled. IIRC, they even show up in the eshop as games you downloaded, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: The difference of this against illegit cia's is that illegit cia's have a certain key (that might have been tampered with) and are made to work with a certain system/NNID combination. They are spoofed to work on CFW or GW, and as such become unsigned in some way. Legitimate cia's are actually signed.

5. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Alright! So, that also means that there are not many legit .CIAs around, right? Just a handful of preinstalled games (LoZ:MM, MH4, Mario Kart 7, NSMB2 and Animal Crossing) come to my mind + system stuff like Browser, Mii Creator, System Settings, etc....

6. Death78793

Death78793 What is this, a first person shooter?

Jan 16, 2015
    Exactly, here's a list of all the legit cia's I've found so far:

Region Free Games :

(As far as i know, only the main pokemon games are Region Free, this means they will work on all regions)

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Pokemon Omega Ruby

Pokemon X

Pokemon Y

EUR Games :
    Animal Crossing New Leaf

Fire Emblem Awakening

Kirby Triple Deluxe

Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask 3D

Luigi's Mansion 2

Mario Kart 7

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Special Edition

Super Mario 3D Land

Super Smash Bros. For 3DS

Tomodachi Life

USA Games :

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Fire Emblem Awakening

Luigi's Mansion 2

Mario Kart 7

Mario & Luigi Dream Team

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 Gold Edition

Super Mario 3D Land

JPN Games :

Tomodachi Collection New Life

Source: A popular site that provides ISO's.

minexew and d0k3 like this.
  7. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    Gateway patches signature checks to allow any cia to be run, I wouldn't think they are tampered with to make them work (unless the user makes them region free and firmware spoofs them)

Death78793 likes this.
  8. Xue

Xue Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2014
    Canada
    Wouldn't you be able to use slot0x25KeyX.bin and xorpads from your system to make any cia legit for your system then?

retrospect likes this.
  9. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    It will work on YOUR system but they aren't signed from Nintendo. Those preinstalled ones can be installed in GW mode and then ran on your sysnand. Why anyone would need to do that I have no idea.

10. CreativeMan

CreativeMan GBAtemp Regular

Apr 26, 2009
    Mongolia
    One Gateway, multiple consoles. Or to please friends ^^

11. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somwhere you can never find.
    do the legit cias still needs to be the correct region or can they be from any region

12. Neptune

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    correct region as far as i know except pokemon

13. polki

polki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    I like having some games I can play from coldboot. Not necessary but useful.

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Well for people who are clinging to the buggy cfw for their romz fix it was a nice gift to be able to play newer games, finally they can play pokemanz and da 7.exes romz With rxtools.....wowza's so l33t

And for n3ds users it means having a bunch of games available in sysnand without needing to have zelda/oot at hand

Plus then there is the people who are no doubt selling consoles preloaded with all the romz to make a fast buck

cearp likes this.
  15. Neptune

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Our definition of "a bunch" widely differs :D

16. Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2008
    United States
    Uggggh. The thought of this actually makes me nauseous. And I'm sure you're right too. :(

17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Oh there is already seen a few people trying to do it........oh well if Nintendo has any sort of logs of what console own these games legit I'm sure they could wipe them if the users are connected to the internet, then these people will have a bunch of people wanting refunds

18. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Thanks everyone! I still wonder, is there no identifying information in a legit .CIA then? So, basically a legit .CIA fetched from one 3DS (let's call it 3DSA) is the same as one fetched from another one (call it 3DSB)? As long as it's the same game / region, of course!

19. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    IMO a legit CIA is one with a valid ticket, signed by Nintendo.
    I guess the CIAs from bundled systems have a generic ticket not bound to any system/account. That's why they can be freely installed.

20. GhostLatte

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The University of Shitpostology
    Are there any N3DS legit cia's?