Hacking "What is a legit cia?" (and other noob CIA questions ANSWERED)

Keir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that. But do they have their own ticket? When you uninstall a game that dumped from your own cart, and it says delete cia and ticket, is that a valid ticket or not?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I understand that. But do they have their own ticket? When you uninstall a game that dumped from your own cart, and it says delete cia and ticket, is that a valid ticket or not?
The ticket is what allows it to show up on your home menu, and it isn't a valid ticket (if by valid ticket you mean from bought content).

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is it a cart dump of *.3ds can do a simple cia convert when I try a 'Citra' *.3ds, it won't work? ALL my CIA's are cart dumps, but my son's classmates has citra roms (I assume for 3ds emu on pc). I'm trying to help them convert to CIA.

*I use the simple drag/drop (got program about 2 years ago).

TIA!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Why is it a cart dump of *.3ds can do a simple cia convert when I try a 'Citra' *.3ds, it won't work? ALL my CIA's are cart dumps, but my son's classmates has citra roms (I assume for 3ds emu on pc). I'm trying to help them convert to CIA.

*I use the simple drag/drop (got program about 2 years ago).

TIA!
What program are you using? Are you using GodMode9 from the 3DS?

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3dsconv (single file app 2016), I am not using godmode9. Some of their 3ds's are from the browser hack and current. I don't mess with dloaded carts, so I never tried to convert a citra 3ds file (emu cart) to CIA. Forgive me if I am not using right name/term for the emu name :) All I want to do is help them so that they do not screw up their 3ds units.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
3dsconv (single file app 2016), I am not using godmode9. Some of their 3ds's are from the browser hack and current. I don't mess with dloaded carts, so I never tried to convert a citra 3ds file (emu cart) to CIA. Forgive me if I am not using right name/term for the emu name :) All I want to do is help them so that they do not screw up their 3ds units.
Try using GodMode9. https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage look under convert 3ds to cia. You may have to update their consoles to the latest CFW.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: ISO-Man

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using GodMode9. https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage look under convert 3ds to cia. You may have to update their consoles to the latest CFW.

Wow, that was too easy!!! I was reading how to on a pc with too much BS involved. I just hate putting unknown carts on my SD. I converted the *.3ds files to *.cia files. Kids can install and run the carts on their own units :)

Thanks Quantumcat !

deepfriedchips

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Im definitely a newbie around here. Recently installed cfw on my n3dsxl with the awesome 3ds.guide and have had no issue installing and running many games. However i have found cia updates and dlc for games. When i go to install them via fbi, the only options i get are "delete, rename, copy & paste". Nothing about installing the cia like i normally would with full game titles.

Im probably missing something really obvious, but would appreciate some guidance.

Many thanks!

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Im definitely a newbie around here. Recently installed cfw on my n3dsxl with the awesome 3ds.guide and have had no issue installing and running many games. However i have found cia updates and dlc for games. When i go to install them via fbi, the only options i get are "delete, rename, copy & paste". Nothing about installing the cia like i normally would with full game titles.

Im probably missing something really obvious, but would appreciate some guidance.

Many thanks!
extension .cia

double check

deepfriedchips

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, cia. Actually, having gone through more of them, some work, but the majority dont. Im going to assume they're corrupt or something? I just found it odd that so many didnt work, given that i d/l full games from the same sites and they worked fine.

Eyothrie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Followed the latest 3DS.hacks.guide on my 11.9 and everything went super smooth :)

I have about 30 .cia games on my 64gb microSD and would like to bulk install them via FBI. My question is, can I shut the lid to put the 3DS in sleep mode as FBI installs these .cias? I wanna avoid leaving both screens on for hours while these games are installing. Is this possible? I’ve read that running any cfw app in sleep mode is a no-no, but these articles were old, and I’m not sure if this is still a no-no on the latest cfw installed on my 11.9 system just last night via that awesome installation guide. Any help is appreciated!

DNX6790

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, I've been looking but I can not find anything similar, imagine a case where you have a cartridge (used) and you want to give it away, but you want to make a CIA of the cartridge only for your console, in this case which option is more advisable , regular or legitimate?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hello, I've been looking but I can not find anything similar, imagine a case where you have a cartridge (used) and you want to give it away, but you want to make a CIA of the cartridge only for your console, in this case which option is more advisable , regular or legitimate?
Use GodMode9 to dump the cartridge as a cia, and FBI to install it. It won't be a legit cia, only preinstalled games can be made into legit cias.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only games that are bought from the e-shop can be made into legit cias for your console. and if you did that you can just download it again unless you get yourself banned from the shop.

only pre-installed games can be made into legit cias for all consoles. This is not the WiiU, where you can just use the ticket from the disc.

you cannot convert a cart to a legit cia. only nintendo can do that, by adding it as a pre-installed game to a 2/3ds.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Juni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi :). SO im a big noob :(, and i have a question, if i uninstall cfw, am i allowed to keep the legit cias, or no, if so, do i have to redownload the game or will it already be playable? thanks :3.

Juni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any legit cias on the console will continue to work. legit means it passes the ofw checks after install.
oh, ok! thank you very much! I just don't understand the "legit means it passes the ofw checks after install" part, but im guessing it means it will be fine and will still be playable in original firmware, right?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there something like a 'no-intro' set of updates/DLC's for 3DS? I have a large ROM collection that I can verify and organize using their datfiles, but I know a lot of games received updates and content post launch and would like my collection to be complete.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr