Hacking "What is a legit cia?" (and other noob CIA questions ANSWERED)

Merik2013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say I'm running reinand off a N3DS and I wanted to use the translation patch on a digital copy of a Fire Emblem title and also patch the dlc while im at it. What all would I need?

Last edited by Merik2013,

Nightboy1230

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Is there a guide on how to instll funkycia tool into console? i dont have any cfw currently, or i have to install cfw 1st?

Matzeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A question:
If i install legit CIAs on 9.2 and give away my o3DSxl and the new owner updates to 11.0, Sets up a NNID and enters the eshop.
- Does the eshop even work? (i made the mistake before on a n3dsxl, installed non-legit CIAs and then created a NNID to enter the eshop, it gave me an error. I had to delete the tickets first)
- Will the games still exist?

Megaman Hunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Despite reading the entire topic, I would like to know things about CIA, and their process of installing it.

Is it required to have access to only userland (ARM11 aka *hax without having the ability to reach to ARM9) in order to install CIA? since the device I'm trying to deal with is updated with the latest 11.0.0-30E vanilla (No A9HL installed) and able to reach to "the homebrew launcher" using supermysterychunkhax.

Even thought, one of the requirements in getting a legit CIA is to dump ticket.db, and I'm clueless in this point of how to get that by only having access to the userland (Decrypt9 won't going, am I right?).

Can anyone explain this to me?

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So... I found a legit Kirby triple deluxe eur CIA. But since legit cias have region lock, then I can install it on my USA 3DS right?
You can install it, but you must launch it from HANS, if you're not using CFW, IIRC

Despite reading the entire topic, I would like to know things about CIA, and their process of installing it.

Is it required to have access to only userland (ARM11 aka *hax without having the ability to reach to ARM9) in order to install CIA? since the device I'm trying to deal with is updated with the latest 11.0.0-30E vanilla (No A9HL installed) and able to reach to "the homebrew launcher" using supermysterychunkhax.

Even thought, one of the requirements in getting a legit CIA is to dump ticket.db, and I'm clueless in this point of how to get that by only having access to the userland (Decrypt9 won't going, am I right?).

Can anyone explain this to me?
Without an update memchunkhax, right now it's not possible to reach the required access to install even legit cias (that would mean downgrade possible too)

A question:
If i install legit CIAs on 9.2 and give away my o3DSxl and the new owner updates to 11.0, Sets up a NNID and enters the eshop.
- Does the eshop even work? (i made the mistake before on a n3dsxl, installed non-legit CIAs and then created a NNID to enter the eshop, it gave me an error. I had to delete the tickets first)
- Will the games still exist?
As far as the new owner doesn't format the console, they should be there, and available to redownload from eshop with the new NNID.

Last edited by Patxinco,

supermario18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please link to this thread when people (noobs) don't understand something, or think they have a 'great idea' about a 'legit' oot cia, ha.

What is a CIA?
Packed content, that can be installed on your 3ds to give the game/app/content.
A CIA contains the contents, a TMD, and a ticket.
CIA files are only really for eshop/digital content.
Although, some people do like to convert 3ds game card dumps to 'cia'/eshop format, because they want them on their home menu etc.

What is a legit (clean/perfect) CIA?
A 'legit' CIA means that the signatures are valid.
A legit cia will work in sysnand, without needing hacks to load it (like gw, cfw etc) -- although we need hacks to INSTALL the cia. :)
The ticket will have a signature, the TMD will have a signature, I'm sure there are more signatures too in the CIA.
When you buy a game/download an update, nintendo generates YOU (ONLY YOU) a signature for the file.
If you edit the file, the signature will not be valid anymore.
If you remove your console id, so that the cia will install on other people's 3DSs, the signature is not valid.
If you patch the demo play count so you can remove the 5, 10, 30 play limit from the demo, the signature is not valid.
If you patch the dlc permissions to set that you have permission for all the dlc, the signature will not be valid.
If you decrypt the contents and edit the game, make it region free, or translate the game it etc, and then re-encrypt, the signature will not be valid.
Only nintendo can create these signatures.

What is a universal/preinstalled legit CIA?
Preinstalled content is special, the signature generated by nintendo is for every console.
If I buy a game from eshop, I can make a legit cia, but it will not be 'universal', in sysnand, it would only work with my 3DS.
For the universal CIAs, they will work on sysnand for everyone. (naturally, region lock still exists)

My tool FunkyCIA lets you create CIAs from your eshop content.
You can make 'warez' CIAs, for sharing etc.
You can make personal legit CIAs, that will work on sysnand, but ONLY on your console.
-- keep in mind at the moment we CAN ONLY INSTALL THESE WITH PBT cfw. This is because PBT patches more checks than GW. capito27 - thanks :)
You can make universal legit cias that work on sysnand for everyone (only from preinstalled content)
Here's a question I have that isn't on there: I installed a universal legit cia (for me, Pokemon Red and Yellow) on my (10.5.0-30) 3DS, but when I start it, theres an infinite 3DS loading screen. And when I try to look at the e-manual , an error pops up saying "The SD card has been removed". What does this mean?

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
@supermario18 You need to visit the page of the eShop to get the game working, use ctr-httpwn to get the eShop working in your console.
Also if you install Kirby Triple Deluxe, it doesn"t work with HANS, so you need to launch it trough Region Free Launcher using Grid Launcher.

Reactions: supermario18

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What program that could converting a .cia to .3DS file ?
You can extract the NCCHs* and reassemble them into a .3ds with the trinity: 3dstool-ctrtool-makerom

* they would probably in turn need to be extracted, the exheader edited to not have the "SD application" bit, and recompressed

Of course the result is not legit so it doesn't work on Sky

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can extract the NCCHs* and reassemble them into a .3ds with the trinity: 3dstool-ctrtool-makerom

* they would probably in turn need to be extracted, the exheader edited to not have the "SD application" bit, and recompressed

Of course the result is not legit so it doesn't work on Sky

I need specific to make it possibly to covert it into .3DS and to be playable.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Tephie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, just to make sure, if i want to upgrade my sdcard to a bigger size, i just need do copy all the files from the old sdcard to the new one and i'll keep all my isntalled CIAs, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.