Gaming What is a Amiibo NFC Tag?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone kindly explain to me what this is? I was searching for a Marth Amiibo to use in super smash bros, when I came across ebay listings for them at low prices. Apparently you select a character and place a order. I don't know much about amiibo except they are figures with a NFC (Near Field Communication) Chip inside of it that functions with Wii U/3DS/Switch. The picture doesn't even show the figure, but the price is listed $4.99 - $24.99 With this picture as a thumbnail.:unsure:

s-l1600.jpg

TF_Slayar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's basically a the chip inside the Amiibo that tells the system which one is which. So if you buy the chip, that's all you get. You can scan it and do everything you can do with a regular Amiibo, except there's no figure.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's basically a the chip inside the Amiibo that tells the system which one is which. So if you buy the chip, that's all you get. You can scan it and do everything you can do with a regular Amiibo, except there's no figure.
Is it reliable to purchase over the official product? I mean I don't mind the data for the amiibo function, just I don't want to be scammed, it could be a character I didn't want or even complete fake.

TF_Slayar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it reliable to purchase over the official product? I mean I don't mind the data for the amiibo function, just I don't want to be scammed, it could be a character I didn't want or even complete fake.
Well, if you want to be COMPLETELY safe, you're better off getting Amiibo from a retailer.
Or if you can, read reviews about the site.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would someone sell fake amiibo tags? They'd get banned from eBay. It's easy enough to make real ones. You could make real ones yourself if you want. That's way cheaper.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depends, how many do you want? If you only want one, sure buy that one. If you want a bunch make you own. Blank tags are close to $1 each. You will also need an Android phone with NFC. If you are iphone person, you may need to borrow someone's android.
You should create your own NFC tags for amiibos.
I used this tutorial to make 10: it is very funny ;)

Tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/making-amiibo-ntag215s.413050/
Cards i used: http://gbatemp.net/threads/compcs-amiibo-cards.413508/
Is this legal? :mellow:

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this legal? :mellow:

Well you have to pirate the keys. That's no more so and probably less illegal than paying some stranger on eBay to pirate the keys for you. It's probably also illegal to print out to cards, but it's not like anyone can catch you. You don't need to print the cards, that's just for looks. You could label them with a marker if you like.

Salfay

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well you have to pirate the keys. That's no more so and probably less illegal than paying some stranger on eBay to pirate the keys for you. It's probably also illegal to print out to cards, but it's not like anyone can catch you. You don't need to print the cards, that's just for looks. You could label them with a marker if you like.

I think the cards themselves (without the tag, just the picture) are legal: you use them for youselves and won't use Tendo's propertie to make money...

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have a Nexus S android phone, it supposed to have NFC according to the settings, but at the moment, the battery expanded and is unuseable until i can get a new one, even with that, is very slow for unknown reasons. Still even if i get the means to make these tags myself. I'll still need a "Actual Amiibo" to use it with. Maybe I'll keep looking for one. Least I'll be in the safer part and still can use blank for backup.:unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s