What internal hard drive are you guys using for the PS2?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Bryon15, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
  2. MightyJAK

MightyJAK Member

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2014
    United States
    I am currently using 3 hard drives:

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA/133 HDD
    This came with my current PS2 I bought off eBay. Although it hasn't given me any trouble yet, I think it might be on its way out as it sometimes makes a quiet knock when it first spins up. So I've only been putting my less-liked games on it.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 Gbytes
    Works great, plenty of space for most of my favorite games (mostly fighting and RPG). Only games it's had problems with is the beatmania IIDX series, which brings me to..

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB UDMA/100 7200RPM 2MB IDE Hard Drive
    The beatmania IIDX game series has problems running from most HDDs. I don't know if it's because of the RPM or how fast it streams the data. but with most hard drives you'll get an issue where the background music track gets out of sync with the song's keysounds. This is one of the few HDD models that doesn't have this problem. Although I've only heard of this issue occurring with the IIDX games, I installed all my other Bemani and other rhythm games on this HDD too just to be on the safe side. According to this blog there are some other drives that will also keep IIDX's sound in sync, but I feel this one is the best value for the money. You can find them used on Amazon for as little as $5!

Good luck and let us know if you get it working.

3. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Western Digital 500 GB 7200 WD500AAKB IIRC. Works like a charm, though I had to open up the Network Adapter a bit to make the HDD usable with the port locations on the device. Took me about 2 minutes and a screw driver to remove the fixing plate inside the Adapter and let the ports become loose.

Also see this page for compatibility for drives (I was surprised no one mentioned it in the previous thread):

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

4. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I'm running a Seagate ST3400832A 400 GB in my phat PS2.

Fits perfectly with no modifications. Although the hard drive does flop around inside a bit if I move it. When I'm transporting it, I always pull the hard drive out.

5. fille

fille GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    somewhere
    i use a 1tb hdd sata,buyed a network adapter sata version and it worked fine,formated hdd in winhiip in 48b mode.
    on mc is free mcboot.

6. Gallito

Gallito Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2013
    United States