1. Cryoraptor

OP Cryoraptor Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    4.1 didn't contribute much either apart from fixing a very specific bug.

I find it ridiculous how an unofficial group of hackers knew the programming of the Wii better than Nintendo themselves. It took them 3 tries to kill Twilight Hack and another 2 tries to kill Bannerbomb. They didn't bother killing Letterbomb when they probably could have easier than Bannerbomb.

Having said that fixing the game exploits would have been very tedious as it would have involved releasing patched versions of the games.

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    4.1 brought SDHC support, which is pretty significant if you ask me.

3. Cryoraptor

OP Cryoraptor Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Alright, sounds good. I'll install a backup instead to minimise the very small chance of the official update screwing something up as I have installed unofficial WADs in the past.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No, it was 4.0 that introduced SDHC support. 4.1 fixed a specific bug and introduced the good ol' 'background performance improvements' as well as rehashing some cIOS killers. 4.1 is arguably the least important 4.x version.

Ryccardo likes this.
  4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Italy
    I vaguely remember it has been dumped too - but not shared* (I would really like to have a copy of the stub wii shop#)!

* unlike the "0.0" insert startup disc IOS4 nand, which can be found on the largest wii wad site - the disc itself is undumped so the only thing it does [on a chipped/ODE console, too] is to run a disc with titleid RAAE01 :D

# The photo channel gets special handling in the Wii Menu due to the very weird way the 1.0/1.1 versions are implemented, the weather and news channels do too (uninstall the region-specific one keeping the other and you will get stubs with an update button instead of start), the wii shop doesn't but it still has a stub version bundled with 1.0 and undumped (last time I checked half a year ago)

5. Cryoraptor

OP Cryoraptor Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I'm backing up my NAND as we speak.

I have a question: If you try installing a NAND backup from another Wii, will it cause a brick due to the specific Wii keys? Asking out of curiosity, I only have one Wii.

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Italy
    Yes (assuming bootmii will even you let flash it, though nothing would stop an external programmer)

But as long as you have the nand keys (which bootmii also saves to SD when you create a backup), and have a backup+keys of a different console with the same boot1 version, you can generally use Betwiin to convert it to work on your console

7. Cryoraptor

OP Cryoraptor Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Makes sense.

I'm just wondering because my Wii is getting old, has sustained coffee and mild physical damage and the SD Card slot is giving up. I know the day where it breaks down entirely is not too far in the future. When that happens I'm going to have to get a new Wii, and it would be a massive pain in the arse to lose my progress in games. If I could restore my current Wii's state onto a hypothetical new Wii then that would be great.

It's going to be a big shame when my Wii dies because it's probably one of the few BootMii/Boot2 compatible Wiis left. The newest one is over 11 years old and even that is probably starting to run into problems. Having said that the Wii is a durable console and can take a lot of damage and wear.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, where can I find the WAD for 1.0E? Could've sworn WAD Manager allowed you to connect to Nintendo's server to download WADs from it...

8. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    I know for sure that WiiMod does allow downloading older versions.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - opinion, version, System