What in the nine hells is "Title Override"???!!

nuruhuine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked all over Google for over an hour, but for the life of me, i can't seem to find what "Title Override" exactly is.
I could pick here and there that it is a different way of launching homebrews than "Applet Mode" in the Album. I also picked that one needs to press R while launching a game or an homebrew, i think? And some stuff i read kind of seemed to link "Title Override" with Tinfoil maybe? (went to Github/Tinfoil to try to find something about it, but nothing...)

However, nowhere in my researches could i get a clear definition of what "Title Override" is, or if it's something that you can get access to using a specific app, or is it a feature that you have natively with Atmosphere? etc.

The reason why i'm trying to understand this is because i'm trying to use Checkpoint v3.8.0 (latest one currently), but when i try to launch it through the Album, it automatically closes. And some dude suggested that the reason why it automatically closes is in fact because i'm trying to launch it through the Album, instead of "Title Override".... So here i am!

Could you guys please help me with this? What the heck is "Title Override"?????
I'm running Atmosphere 1.25, with Hekate 5.6.5. My CFW version is 13.2.0.

Crashdummyy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Last edited by Crashdummyy,
Reactions: BigOnYa

nuruhuine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, thanks for your answer!
Am i supposed to notice anything at all when i press R while launching a game, like a little notification somewhere on the screen or something?
Also, does that work when i'm in the Album too?
I mean, if i go into the Album and say try to launch Edizon or Checkpoint while pressing R, will it be considered a "Title Override" launch even though Applet mode is clearly displayed in red at the top of the screen?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi, thanks for your answer!
Am i supposed to notice anything at all when i press R while launching a game, like a little notification somewhere on the screen or something?
Also, does that work when i'm in the Album too?
I mean, if i go into the Album and say try to launch Edizon or Checkpoint while pressing R, will it be considered a "Title Override" launch even though Applet mode is clearly displayed in red at the top of the screen?
No. Title override requires you to launch an actual title and it takes over. As for what you're supposed to notice, well, the homebrew launcher should launch rather than whatever title you took over.

nuruhuine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused by "the homebrew launcher should launch rather than whatever title you took over."
What does that mean? Let's say that i'm starting a game from the main screen while pressing R, then the homebrew loader should launch instead of the game??
I'm sorry, my questions and confusion may seem utterly noobish to you but i have absolutely nothing to refer to, and i couldn't find an actual video about that on YT, so i'm really at a loss here.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm confused by "the homebrew launcher should launch rather than whatever title you took over."
What does that mean? Let's say that i'm starting a game from the main screen while pressing R, then the homebrew loader should launch instead of the game??
I'm sorry, my questions and confusion may seem utterly noobish to you but i have absolutely nothing to refer to, and i couldn't find an actual video about that on YT, so i'm really at a loss here.
That's what "taking over" means, you launch a homebrew application rather than the title you launched. Yes, that is what it means. The HBL *takes over* that title.

Hepklep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So here is how it works.
Press and hold the R button, then while holding R open any game (not gallery) and select your user if prompted.
Keep holding R while you are directed through the Nintendo logo, and shortly after it should take you directly to the HBL screen. You can now let go of R at this point.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

nuruhuine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what "taking over" means, you launch a homebrew application rather than the title you launched. Yes, that is what it means. The HBL *takes over* that title.
Lol, it's like i'm going deeper and deeper into the rabbit's hole, and i'm even more confused.
The reason why i'm so confused is because as you're answering me and explaining me all this, i have the Switch on my lap and i'm trying to make it do what you say it should do.
And.... it doesn't.

Case in point here, i have Atmosphere 1.25 (latest version), with Hekate 5.6.5 (latest too) and CFW 13.2.0 (latest as well), and from the main screen, if i'm trying to launch a game (Dying Light) while pressing R, it just launches the game. It doesn't open the Hbl, or launches a different application, or anything else. It just launches the game normally as i usually do without pressing R.

And when i'm in the Album, if i press R while launching something, it does absolutely nothing at all. Nothing takes over anything. It's exactly the same as if i wasn't pressing R.

That's what i don't understand.
I'm really sorry, i kinda feel stupid.
Am i missing anything??

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, it's like i'm going deeper and deeper into the rabbit's hole, and i'm even more confused.
The reason why i'm so confused is because as you're answering me and explaining me all this, i have the Switch on my lap and i'm trying to make it do what you say it should do.
And.... it doesn't.

Case in point here, i have Atmosphere 1.25 (latest version), with Hekate 5.6.5 (latest too) and CFW 13.2.0 (latest as well), and from the main screen, if i'm trying to launch a game (Dying Light) while pressing R, it just launches the game. It doesn't open the Hbl, or launches a different application, or anything else. It just launches the game normally as i usually do without pressing R.

And when i'm in the Album, if i press R while launching something, it does absolutely nothing at all. Nothing takes over anything. It's exactly the same as if i wasn't pressing R.

That's what i don't understand.
HOLD down the R button, while pressing A on any game icon on home screen, keep holding down the R button till you see Homebrew screen pop open. Now you have full memory access.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Crashdummyy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And.... it doesn't.

What's what i don't understand.

If you start the Album the Album-Title is overridden which doesnt provide enough resources.

To get all the resources a game could have, you override that game with a homebrew.

Homescreen -> Click on a Game -> Hold 'R' button -> ( maybe you have to select a player ) -> Keep holding the 'R' Button
-> Homebrew Menu starts -> Choose a homebrew application

This application has now full access to the switch's resources.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title override, as th name suggest is when the user replace any installed title / game or even cartridge, to use with a hombrew application / homebrew launcher app.

You can also check if your config for atmosphere is blocking tittle override for some reason.

nuruhuine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLD down the R button, while pressing A on any game icon on home screen, keep holding down the R button till you see Homebrew screen pop open.
RHAAAAAA!!
Holy shit! That is it. Finally!

Thank you!!!

It needs to be held down for quite a long time though, even through the User selection, and yes the homebrews pop up like they do in the Album. And i noticed that when i try to launch Checkpoint in that state, it actually does work!! If i try to launch Checkpoint from the Album, it closes instantly, it doesn't work.

So please tell me if i'm wrong, but from what i seem to understand, trying to launch a game while holding R has nothing to do with actually playing the game itself?
It's just a different way to access the homebrews than through the Album? That's what they call the "Title Override"? So that the homebrews that don't work when launched via the Album can work now?

When it comes to actual games though, what's the plus of holding R and doing this, since it redirects to the homebrews and we can't actually play the game. I noticed that the status of the game on the main screen is 'playing', but when i click on it, i don't come back to the game itself, but just the Title Overriden homebrews, so i'm assuming that there's no benefit at all from holding R for the games themselves?
Amirite?

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Select a game from home, PRESS AND KEEP HOLDING R (even through user selection), until the game appears to launch but then homebrew launcher menu will load. You can then release R. Don't try launching through album. I believe title override enables full RAM mode which some apps either need or run better with. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RHAAAAAA!!
Holy shit! That is it. Finally!

Thank you!!!

It needs to be held down for quite a long time though, even through the User selection, and yes the homebrews pop up like they do in the Album. And i noticed that when i try to launch Checkpoint in that state, it actually does work!! If i try to launch Checkpoint from the Album, it closes instantly, it doesn't work.

So please tell me if i'm wrong, but from what i seem to understand, trying to launch a game while holding R has nothing to do with actually playing the game itself?
It's just a different way to access the homebrews than through the Album? That's what they call the "Title Override"? So that the homebrews that don't work when launched via the Album can work now?

When it comes to actual games though, what's the plus of holding R and doing this, since it redirects to the homebrews and we can't actually play the game. I noticed that the status of the game on the main screen is 'playing', but when i click on it, i don't come back to the game itself, but just the Title Overriden homebrews, so i'm assuming that there's no benefit at all from holding R for the games themselves?
Amirite?
Yes correct, this is just for the homebrew apps to access full memory... switch games already have full memory access.

BTR06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Hi everyone !
i tried all the methods to access the hbmenu on full memory but i just can't
i am in atmosphere (1.2.6) but i don't have any games nor titles installed , i tried accessing the title override holding the R button on the the news app and the nintendo eshop app but nothing happens ...

thanks a lot for the help!

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone !
i am in atmosphere (1.2.6) but i don't have any games nor titles installed , i tried accessing the title override holding the R button on the the news app and the nintendo eshop app but nothing happens ...

News app and eShop are applets just like the Album, so there’s no point trying to override those. Title override only works on games. Don’t have a game? Go get one. Otherwise, you’re stuck with applet mode.

Crashdummyy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi everyone !

You have no titles installed.
That means you cant override one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte