What if...

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by fenthwick, Jul 21, 2007.

1. fenthwick
    OP

fenthwick GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2007
    So i was thinking that a lot of games lack the wifi ability but thave the area connect function, depending on the communication type the ds uses shouldn't it be possible to create a program(for the computer) that fakes a ds but the other people are in other countries? You know like hamachi makes your computer think it's in a LAN. But of course i'm assuming that the ds uses a wireless thing or bluetooth(not sure tho), if that's the case then it should be possible if someone has the programming knowledge and time.

-Just a guy hoping for something like this [​IMG]
    BTW sorry if this has been brought up before.

2. acrocosm

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    o.O' what do you mean?? fake it so that the ds thinks it's on a ds lan? and if yes then what would be the point ? and what's the point of hamachi on the first place??

3. lagman

lagman I wish I was green.

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2003
    Mexico
    Me, To You
    Warp Pipe DS?
    Doesn't sounds bad, but I have no idea if it's even possible.

4. sillypatterson

sillypatterson GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2007
    United States
    I think he wants to know if there's a way to fool your DS into doing local wireless with people far away through some sort of tunneler application.

I don't think it's probable. The local wireless connections are over Bluetooth, not Wifi, if I'm not mistaken, and they've got a much higher data transfer rate, which is why we can have 8-player Mario Kart and Battle Mode and other stuff not available on Wifi.

I'd be more interested in faking NWFC so I could play the handful of games where they made a Wifi option, but not local wireless.

5. lagman

lagman I wish I was green.

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2003
    Mexico
    Me, To You
    No, there's no bluetooth on the DS, every wireless communication is made with Wi-Fi.

6. acrocosm

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    ah i see yeah that would be nice [​IMG]

7. sillypatterson

sillypatterson GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2007
    United States
    You're right, I think that I was getting it confused with the WiiMote, which -does- use Bluetooth.

But the fact remains, they haven't cracked the DS-to-DS protocol, which uses RSA encyption... which is why we've got homebrew which uses Wifi, but none that connects 2 DSes.

8. Psyfira

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Dec 31, 2003
    England
    Tunnel, hm I've heard that word before... *looks in the archive*. Seems like a few people tried, but they never finished; either lost interest, busy with other projects and some turned out to be fake, I don't know much about it really. Either way, it hasn't been done yet.

Edit: the post above this (which sneaked in while I was writing [​IMG]) makes a good point, I'd never noticed that there were no homebrews that could link locally but now you mention it, I think you're right.

9. acrocosm

acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2004
    London/Patra
    i'd say there doesn't seem to be any light in the tunnel yet then ^^

10. kikapo_O

kikapo_O Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2006
    Malaysia
    Ya I had the same Idea some weeks ago ... That would be a very nice program for us [​IMG]

11. Hitto

Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

Nov 29, 2005
    France
    Nice, France
    sgstair tried tunneling, but as of now, no news about any breakthroughs or development have surfaced.

12. fenthwick
    OP

fenthwick GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2007
    Ah you understood [​IMG]
    Too bad that it's encrypted because it would be really nice for games that lack the ability.

13. TLSpartan

TLSpartan Kills threads

Oct 20, 2006
    Advance Wars would benefit the most.

EDIT- Forgot Brothers in Arms

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice