What if the Wii had Achievements?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Rock Raiyu, May 1, 2009.

May 1, 2009
  1. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    This is just a thought, just wanted to put it out there. The 360 has achievements and the PS3 has trophies, but what if the Wii had some sort of point system like that? Why wouldn't Nintendo want to do it, because they don't want to be like Microsoft or Sony? It's just my opinion but I think it'd be cool to have something like that.

2. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    Meh could work. Wii would only gain a copy cat status, like PS3 with their trophies which are just a rip off of 360 achievements.

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    they don't do it cos unlike the other 2 (especially m$) they don't copy ideas!

4. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    It would be alright but it would be hard to do because how many different mini-game style achievements could you come up with.

5. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    better if they hand out wii points as rewards

6. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Most likely Nintendo won't do it because they just want to be as classical and genuine as possible

7. jlj

Newcomer jlj Member

United Kingdom
    Bleep bloop achievement unlocked [​IMG] meh not too fussed no-one can see them because the friends system sucks

8. ZeD

Member ZeD GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    they should have "stars" which you unlock as you play. They you view them in a galaxy view (like mario) but friend system sucks big time lol

9. demonicstrife

Member demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

United States
    MegaMan 9 actually has an achievement system. But it's about the only thing on the Wii I know of remotely related to achievements. Actually, the only reason it probably does have achievements is because the game is also on XBLA and PSN, and Capcom was probably lazy about removing them, so they "left" them into the Wii version. Although it's a lot less significant because you don't get any Gamer Points.

10. mucus

Member mucus Orc Orc Orc

Antarctica
    What if?
    What if Wii had Wiiwins or whatever they'd call it?
    IT would make no difference to me. These points don't matter for anything on the other systems. What would they matter on the Wii? It would just be an annoyance, I don't really get it on the other systems.
    The Wii could probably handle it, but why? What would it acheive for that?

Let me answer my own questions:
    Wiiwins would do nothing. Just like on the other systems it would just be there for bragging rights. Wii is supposed to be more family oreitned and I don't think that this would fit into their overall long term strategy. None of the games that are out now would handle it, they have no programming built in for it. So even if something this were to be introduced it would only work with games that are specific for it; take the DSi for example, it has great technology, but it's only compatible with new gmaes that have the technology built it...it's not very useful.

What would we gain with Wiiwins?
    Well, we could finally say to our friends, I did better than you at "blah."
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm better than my friends (which is all the time of course) I take them to my place and show them just how good I am, points are meaningless when somebody who's never played "blah" before is able to kick your butt. But the gain would be, you don't have to spend as much time with your friends.

final analysis

Forget Wiiwins. They would be just as lame as the system itself.

~mucus (haven't played my wii in months)

11. mucus

Member mucus Orc Orc Orc

Antarctica
    What if?
    What if Wii had Wiiwins or whatever they'd call it?
    IT would make no difference to me. These points don't matter for anything on the other systems. What would they matter on the Wii? It would just be an annoyance, I don't really get it on the other systems.
    The Wii could probably handle it, but why? What would it acheive for that?

Let me answer my own questions:
    Wiiwins would do nothing. Just like on the other systems it would just be there for bragging rights. Wii is supposed to be more family oreitned and I don't think that this would fit into their overall long term strategy. None of the games that are out now would handle it, they have no programming built in for it. So even if something this were to be introduced it would only work with games that are specific for it; take the DSi for example, it has great technology, but it's only compatible with new gmaes that have the technology built it...it's not very useful.

What would we gain with Wiiwins?
    Well, we could finally say to our friends, I did better than you at "blah."
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm better than my friends (which is all the time of course) I take them to my place and show them just how good I am, points are meaningless when somebody who's never played "blah" before is able to kick your butt. But the gain would be, you don't have to spend as much time with your friends.

final analysis

Forget Wiiwins. They would be just as lame as the system itself.

~mucus (haven't played my wii in months)