What if... religion never existed

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by SixSenseEagle, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2012
  1. SixSenseEagle

SixSenseEagle Newbie

I know I'm young, and all, but just think about it if religion never exist I think the world would be a better place, and more advance than it's current state, but I'm done now What are your opinions on this situation?, also no arguing!

1 person likes this.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Oh god no not another one of these threads.

They just turn into pointless debate where no side ever concedes and intellectual dick wagging.

4 people like this.
  3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    it would be a better place i'd just love to post some more but some peeps may get offended (atheist by the way yeah i don't hide it) and we would be 100 years into the future now if it wasn't for the dark ages.

1 person likes this.
  4. SixSenseEagle

SixSenseEagle Newbie

well...can someone remove this post if this going to happen plz or you (Anyone in general) can state your opinions nicely without arguing.

1 person likes this.
  5. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
  6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    But without the "intellectual" bit.

7. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I think it would pretty much be like the Atheist episode of South Part.
    I mean we would most likely be living in a world were science wasn't suppressed and would have far better technology and medical science. As well debates like civil rights and women's rights would most likely not be around since there wouldn't be a Bible to bring them up.

But we would still be at war with each other over who's Atheism is right and who has the right answers or something stupid like that.

1 person likes this.
  8. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I like how people in the late 20th and early 21st century blame religion for the short-comings of our civilization without knowing how much research and schooling was funded by religious organisations in the past. Who do you think funded schools at first if not churches? Who do you think studied botany and astrology if not monks?

Religion has nothing to do with science - you have crazy zealots on both the religious and non-religious sides of the barricade.

9 people like this.
  9. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I think the bigger portion of what people mean is way back in the dark ages and in other various times when religion trumped science and such.

10. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
  11. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Remind me of that multiverse episode of family guy.

1 person likes this.
  12. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    That's still unfair judgement though. It's not just religion that has the capacity to stall science - any kind of ideology can do that. You can't blame an entire group for the sins of a selected few whackos. I don't think believing in a higher existence, let's call it "God" or "Gods" for the sake of the argument, in itself, stalls science.

Many scientists, both in the past and currently, are strongly religious and it does not cloud their judgement whatsoever. It's the approach towards religion that matters, not religion itself.

People need to start to understand that religion is but a moral framework on which you build further - it's not an instruction booklet on how you're supposed to percieve the world. To reject the empirical findings of science just because someone misinterpreted a 2000+ year old text in a way that forbids following reason is madness, and many religious people such as myself realize that.

13. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Any proposition on how to fix the %85+ of religious people who don't see it that way?

Religion is like a black hole; even if you don't want to participate in it, you are somewhat still affected by the gravitational pull.

The stronger a certain religion is, the more it's going to inadvertently affect everyone else.

1 person likes this.
  14. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I don't disagree with you or anything, in fact there were tons of scientific advancements in the period I mentioned, but people get the wrong idea when they think of the dark ages.

15. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I don't personally know a single person who rejects science due to religious belief. It takes an uneducated slob to do so, not a religious person. Your views are 2000-and-late and incredibly jaded.

3 people like this.
  16. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    No religion = no war

3 people like this.
  17. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    War is a part of human nature, not religion. We fight with eachother because we "feel" - because we're human and we're capable to be angry or jealous. Religion can be the motivation for war, but not the definite cause. There were wars long before there was religion.

4 people like this.
  18. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Lol, that's seriously funny. z.z
    Human beings will always find something to fight for, do you think people actually fought because they cared about religion? Only a few actually had that idea, but most just fought for power, riches and stuff. It's part of being human to wage wars, humanity will never be united and in complete peace, it's just not possible.

Edit: Ninja'd by Foxi. z.z

1 person likes this.
  19. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    I read the thread title and thought it would be SixSenseEagle to have posted this thread.

20. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    So, what you're saying is that, religious people, who believe in god(s) and whatnot also believe they don't exist... If they believe in religion and that God created the universe then they obviously can't believe all science has told us, simply because science has proved that there is no God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.