What if I run the 1.9s update but I don't have a wiikey?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blechner, Apr 1, 2008.

1. blechner
    OP

Newcomer blechner Member

Brazil
    I can't get my SSBB USA DVD9 to work and someone said that the wiikey 1.9g has problems reading dual layer disks. I think I have a wiikey 1.9g because i can play Mario Galaxy and the wii chipset is probably D2B (probability of 80%). Maybe the game will run if I update the modchip to 1.9s. But what if I have a clone wiikey or any other modchip? Can I damage the wii or the modchip in any way?
    If you experienced guys say that there is no risk of ruining my system, I may try to update the modchip...
    Please help me. My Wii doesn't even try to read the backup SSBB disk and the disk channel shows that famous question mark.
    I am sorry to bother you, but please help me! I am sure someone else may have the same concern but I can't find the answer on the internet.

2. shark1987

Member shark1987 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i'm pretty sure if it's not a wiikey it just won't run. if it's a clone I think there is a possibility, if it is not of good quality, that it could mess up the modchip but not the wii. Just going from what I've read.

3. Smack

Member Smack GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    1.9g reads backup DL's just fine. The problem it had was not being able to read retail DL DVD's. So if you have a burned copy of SSBB with 1.9g and it doesn't read then my guess is it is a bad burn.

4. scubersteve

scubersteve Newbie

LOL! THAT'SO PUNNY THAT I THINK IT NEEDS SOME DESU!

DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU

5. blechner
    OP

Newcomer blechner Member

Brazil
    Thank you for your reply. So I'd better not try to update if I don't know what modchip I have. As for the bad burn, I heard that it usually resulted in reading disk errors, 001 errors, white screens, black screens and so on. I've never heard of the situation in which the Wii doesn't even try to read the disk. I've always used single layer RITEK disks for other games and they work just fine. Now I am using dual layer RITEK disks for SSBB. Are they bad quality DVDs?
    I had an idea! Please tell this is a good idea: Assuming that my wii has problems reading dual layer disks, I may download the ripped version of SSBB in DVD5, burn it in a single layer DVD and then use it to run the update (which is supposed to enable a Wii to run dual layer disks). Then, after that, my dual layer copy of SSBB should work... or at least it should result in the usual BAD burned errors that most people are getting.
    Thank you.

6. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Well just try.
    First it would try to see if its going to flash correctly.
    And if its not an wiikey it would just fail and nothing would happend.