What if GTA VI is online-only and no story mode?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GTA Online has been hugely profitable for Rockstar so this may affect GTA VI, but as a fan of the series it's upsetting to not see a new game or the promised single player DLC for GTA V. :(

Also, they apparently plan on releasing GTA IV Remastered though to be honest, I'm not looking forward to that. Rockstar allowed GTA 3, VC, and SA to be released in a botched condition so... Yeah.

But hey, it'll be nice to see Niko again. :)

Reactions: adamzinh

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So what? Just play other video games, dude. Let the GTA franchise be for those who like it in its state.

I can't help but wonder if you'll outgrow that attitude or will remain stuck in it.
"But what if the next Bond movie is played by an actor I don't like?"
"What if the next flavor of ice cream isn't better than my favorite one?"
"What if my next girlfriend isn't prettier than my current one?"

Reactions: Zense

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what? Just play other video games, dude. Let the GTA franchise be for those who like it in its state.

I can't help but wonder if you'll outgrow that attitude or will remain stuck in it.
"But what if the next Bond movie is played by an actor I don't like?"
"What if the next flavor of ice cream isn't better than my favorite one?"
"What if my next girlfriend isn't prettier than my current one?"
So what? GTA is known for its fantastic Tarantino/Scorcese-eque stories and removing that portion from GTA takes away much of its identity and soul.

You could say "So what" for anything, really. No wonder games are becoming shit these days thanks to people going with "So WhAt!?!?" Smh.

SpazzyShinobi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly would not play it, I think. My friends and I did play a bit of GTA Online, but we eventually grew bored of it. We discovered that it was pretty boring after a few hours if you weren't willing to spend any real world money.

What I enjoyed about GTA V was the modding. If GTA VI was always online, it would be a disappointment. Not that Rockstar and Take Two seem to care about the modding scene.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So what? GTA is known for its fantastic Tarantino/Scorcese-eque stories and removing that portion from GTA takes away much of its identity and soul.

You could say "So what" for anything, really. No wonder games are becoming shit these days thanks to people going with "So WhAt!?!?" Smh.
I beg to differ on the last part. I If you ask me, it's more due to people caring more about brands that go downhill in quality rather than voting with their wallet and buying games that still have an identity and soul.

Speaking of: I also differ on the former part. GTA 3, San Andreas and Vice city are certainly comparable with Scorsese's work. But IV was just mediocre and V had 2 boring stories and a passable one (Franklin's). It says something if the most memorable moments of a couple dozens of hours playing were A) playing a meditation minigame and B) picking up a hitchhiker between missions that after some chatting becomes a sidekick.

But ey...that's my opinion. I don't mind being proven wrong by rockstar. But to me the series had their best moments years ago.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I've only just gotten into the GTA series as of the Definitive Edition launch. I can't say any of the stories really interested me except for V's. Maybe IV if it wasn't so clunky to play.

The appeal of GTA really lies in it NOT being a pseudo MMO, for me. Sometimes that's just how a franchise goes, though--it has decades of greatness and just fades away into something else. I'd be disappointed for sure regardless. Although honestly, the guy who wrote all the GTA games and most of their other games has left Rockstar, so even if VI was single player, would it be close to what it was before? Meh

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If GTA goes all online then you can be sure that another studio will come and take its place in providing such a single player experience and story. Although, most likely Take Two will try keep a minimum single player part in just to avoid giving people the impression that this is a series with no single player at all. If you haven't noticed Call of Duty does this very thing where most of the latest entries only have had a minimum single player part of 2-5 hours of content. I think there might've even been CoD games completely without a single player campaign.

Anyways, this is how competition and the markets work, and if you think about it these games mostly came in and grabbed the attention of gamers away from other games that weren't as interesting. Driver, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament, we don't see much of those anymore.

Do most people care that The Elder Scrolls (which is basically just Skyrim at this point) replaced a bunch of other western RPG series like Might and Magic, Wizardy (mostly the 8th) etc? No, most people don't, because The Elder Scrolls was better at grabbing players' attentions and interests.

I don't think it was a coincidence that when Mario went all linear style and all collect-a-thons had stopped being made, that this genre started resurging, giving us Yooka-Laylee, Spyro Reignited, A Hat in Time and a return to collect-a-thon for Mario too in Odyssey.

Unless you are interested in a very niche game genre, and it would have to be a very rare one these days with how many games come out, then I wouldn't be afraid of that not getting supplied from some studio or another.

Last edited by Zense,

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends...

NFS Underground 2015 is an online game that has single player experience
Destiny 1 and 2 are an online game that has single player experience

If the split GTA VI like that where you can play the game by yourself and always updating the seasons and etc.. that's totally fine. But I rather have offline.... I played and beat all GTA games (except for the handheld ones) and honestly the last one was V in 2013 there is no way we are still playing that in 2021 but the online is generating billions of dollars so any company will continue to generate money from it's success

GTA is like pokemon it will print money until the day they see a drop in sales they will continue doing what they are doing. Look at Apple they take away chargers and accessories and people are still buying the phones so this is something that you would adjust to overtime.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended