What homebrew possibilities are there for Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by RemixDeluxe, Jun 10, 2011.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Member RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Ive learned so much about the Wii U in the past few days that went by and I was hoping to discuss some possibilities this new system has to offer.

1. With the specs that we received from this system do you think it will be possible to somehow play GC games, I heard this system wouldnt be able to have backwards compatibility with this system and that was sad to me cause it was my favorite Nintendo system.

2. Also how much better do you think Wii64 will run on this system. There were some graphical problems when it was running on the wii but hopefully with the upgraded CPU you think that will be enough to handle the games?

3. If the online is going to be improve this generation do you think it will be dangerous playing Backups online? When I had my Wii all I played online was SSBB and Mario Kart but I dont want to get my console bricked.

2. RemixDeluxe
    OP

United States
    Does anyone have an opinion?

3. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    This is to early to talk about homebrew, we dont know yet if it will be hacked.

Anyway... when I first saw the controller I though.... a DS emulator on that console will be awesome! with the botton touch sreen displayed on the WiiU controller and the main screen on the TV.

4. RemixDeluxe
    OP

United States
    Well I much rather have my handheld emulators on a handheld and my console emulators on a console (in my opinion.)

I am deeply concerned about the fact that one of my most favorite consoles will not be backwards compatible with the new system. With the new media format for game disks being 25 GB that would be great to store backup GC games and play them off the system assuming the right functions can be unlocked.

5. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    The thing is probably not even finalized and at least nobody knows about the internal architecture and yet people are asking if it will be hacked, when and how ?
    C'mon, I know that patience is not exactly highest virtue of this generation but at least wait until it is available for hackers to investigate...

And about how current homebrew would run on a CPU that is announced to be faster than the Wii one, you don't need to be a tech genius to understand that well, it would run... faster. Off course, that depends if we are ever able to run homebrew code on it, which sadly does not depend on any of us and nobody can predict at this state. We don't even know how Wii compatibilty will be handled or how secutity will be handled. Be sure that they would learn from their mistakes... and eventually make new ones....

6. Skater4599

Member Skater4599 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm inclined to agree with Jacobeian. It's beyond way too early to tell anything at this point, infact we dont even have alot of basic info about this new system. Current wii homebrew will not just run out-of-the-box. If it ever will at all. Its like asking xbox 360 to magically run XBMC without even being hacked. It does not work.

If your asking more hypothetically, if it were to get hacked what would be cool to see. Well that depends on what type of architecture it actually does run on etc. But with a better processor/graphics etc. I'll have to assume more would be possible, If we ever got that far with it. Microsoft sure learned alot from there mistakes with the Original xbox. I think nintendo will do the same.

7. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Well strictly hypothetically, most emulator would be great with the option to be streamed to the controller display.
    I mean a semi portable gamecube,N64 or PSX ( I know we can do that on the PSP but a larger,6.2 display, 2 analogs and L1/R1 buttons ) or even PS2 would be great, and it looks like the new controller has enough buttons and a big enough resolution to handle all of the above more then adequately .
    Also why not a DS emulator ? The screen is big enough to hold both the touch and the upper screen, while still providing a bigger image compared to the DSL with all the advantages that emulation can provide ( save states, file browsing etc. ).
    And imagine a WiiU port of ScummVMWiiU ! The touch screen and the high resolution combined with the horse power of the main unit would make those games fun to play all over again.
    So yeah I think emulation would be great, but also text readers and such would be welcome.
    I'm sure ninty will provide fun apps like a table watch, Netflix streaming to the controller and possibly photo viewers ( digital frame kind of app ) or MP3/internet radio playback.
    Lots of potential, really !

8. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I think it will. Anti-piracy of the wii is pretty much a joke, even when not comparing it to the competition. Nintendo itself won't mind that much (their main target is the casual gamers...the majority of their games barely have online multiplayer)...but if nintendo really wants to attract third party companies, they'll have to listen to their demands. I think that partnership with EA will make its influence on this behalf.

9. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    no emulator is as 100% true as the original console or handheld so get a grip! nobody cares.

10. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    im looking forward for an U-color homebrew it would be awesome on the new controller XD

11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Say...that controller is infrared, ain't it? It's not exactly "wii u" hacking, but seeing how kinect can be hacked to be used on pc...streaming my computer screen on that device looks even more interesting than nintendo games (I get giggles by the idea of playing starcraft 2 on that thing [​IMG] ).

Most likely dreaming, but just being able to receive any channel would be nice as well. Watching television on channel 1 on that thing while your brother is watching channel 2.

12. cloudskipa

Newcomer cloudskipa Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Exactly how I feel, I just don't get on with emulating a handheld on a TV screen.

Is the Wii U Gamecube compatible then? It's all a bit vague, we know it has B/C with Wii but I'm not sure if that includes GC.

It is far too early to talk about homebrew in a any real detail I guess but if it does get hacked in the future then just imagine the possibilities of what we will be able to emulate! I'd just be happy for decent Neo Geo/CPS 1/2, Amiga and C64 emulators.

13. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    lets wait till it's released 1st...

nope

14. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    but how powerful the Wii U is. Gamecube emulation should be possible right?

15. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    Nobody would bother working on it, why live in the past?

16. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I know of one kid that imho would love to emu it. I mean kid in a good way [​IMG]

17. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    just keep your wii to play gc games

18. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Because people like retro games.

19. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    That's a great idea. I can climb up into my loft and get my nes,snes,sms,smd and old speccy too and my other ancient consoles then all I need is a hundred wires piled around my tv and control pads in front of it and get to remember the fine loading the spectrum had.

In fact I think you should go tell the devs of emus how wrong they are, I mean you have the best ideas...always [​IMG]

20. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Lol tons of people "live in the past" You can already see all the old emulators created for Wii Homebrew. Snes, nes, ect. You can see all the old emulators created for PC. There will be someone to work on it, everyone has their own interests.