Homebrew What homebrew am I missing out on?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being a long time Gateway user, I often miss out on certain homebrew that are out there. I don't mean Ninjhax since I abandoned 9.2. I mean homebrew in .3ds and .cia, mainly .cia.

So my question is, what homebrew do you have on your 3DS menu, cia installed?

The homebrew I have:

- BigBlueMenu (Modified to look like DevMen)
- SaveDataFiler
- Play Coin Setter
- Blargsnes
- GameYob
- CHMM (Custom Home Menu Manager) (This is a homebrew that made me realize that Im missing out on other homebrew. I had no idea this existed and I was using extdata manager)

Homebrew I had:

- Extdata manager (Forgot the exact name, but does the same as CHMM)
- FTPony (Never worked for me)

What homebrew am I missing out on?

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think someone ported Doom a while back, I ported gpsp to 3DS but it only works in ninjhax and invalidating the icache basically kills the performance at the moment (it would run full speed otherwise), I think someone ported a Neo Geo emulator, smea has his Minecraft thing which is nifty, I haven't tried 3DNES but it's there, probably a few other things as well.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
If you've got a Gateway then you're shit outta luck.

Seems <some> devs don't wanna use .cia files because then they KNOW you're a pirate.

Apart from blargsnes, sand and yob etc... you're stuck with a 9.2 emuNAND running Ninjhax through a Cubic rom OR Gateway mode, .cia homebrews with latest FW and eshop.

If you're anything like me then yeah, it sucks. I can't buy legit and have a broader homebrew selection at the same time.

If Smealum doesn't agree with piracy, he's got a funny way of showing it. All this .3dsx format has done is give give me an excuse not to buy games lol.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't get it to build either xD Someone else made it for me.

Lol, then it's not just me thanks.

Strange toolchains...

For the OP though, try Pong from Reyls, that's some great timewaster right there. .cia didn't work so well for me though, if you go Ninjhax it might be better.

TheZoroark007

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think someone ported Doom a while back, I ported gpsp to 3DS but it only works in ninjhax and invalidating the icache basically kills the performance at the moment (it would run full speed otherwise), I think someone ported a Neo Geo emulator, smea has his Minecraft thing which is nifty, I haven't tried 3DNES but it's there, probably a few other things as well.

I saw somewhere on a spanish forum that someone ported your emulator to .cia, but that just load the demo rom and a few others.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Seems <some> devs don't wanna use .cia files because then they KNOW you're a pirate.

Apart from blargsnes, sand and yob etc... you're stuck with a 9.2 emuNAND running Ninjhax through a Cubic rom OR Gateway mode, .cia homebrews with latest FW and eshop.

If you're anything like me then yeah, it sucks. I can't buy legit and have a broader homebrew selection at the same time.

If Smealum doesn't agree with piracy, he's got a funny way of showing it. All this .3dsx format has done is give give me an excuse not to buy games lol.

Well some devs don't have/didn't have a Gateway up until the 3.0 release. There's also a bit of a lazy factor in there, but testing the stuff you make is generally pretty important and hard to do via proxy unless you have someone who knows what they are doing or can just do it for you.

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France

2 SD cards and you're ok.
Also, most homebrew are open-source if I remember right. It's easy to compile as .cia.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies everyone, I had no idea that there was a homebrew section. Thing is, I kept one section bookmarked and I just only used that one section. I never browsed the site so it's no wonder I keep missing so much homebrew releases. I just remember that homebrew releases used to be posted here back then.
I'll have a look to see what I can find.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
2 SD cards and you're ok.
Also, most homebrew are open-source if I remember right. It's easy to compile as .cia.

True true, not all though.

And 2 sd cards is a pain you'd have to admit yeah?
But that's the solution for now and I can take it or leave I suppose.

Edit: The standout for me is CTRAGB I guess, there's no way to get a .cia for it. It's got dynarec and needs services for it to work so no .3ds version, but still... no .cia? Just the .3dsx.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True true, not all though.

And 2 sd cards is a pain you'd have to admit yeah?
But that's the solution for now and I can take it or leave I suppose.

Edit: The standout for me is CTRAGB I guess, there's no way to get a .cia for it. It's got dynarec and needs services for it to work so no .3ds version, but still... no .cia? Just the .3dsx.

I'm working on a .cia, I *should* be able to get it to work at one point, just having issues at the moment. It'll still be as slow as it is though unfortunately.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm working on a .cia, I *should* be able to get it to work at one point, just having issues at the moment. It'll still be as slow as it is though unfortunately.

Thanks dude.
That's great news anyhow, wasn't criticizing you at all either. Just one of those odd things I noticed, little curious :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol