Hacking What HDD Do YOU Recommend??!!

User423

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would recommend the "Seagate FreeAgent Go 320GB".
I own that and it works great. It is 2,5" and is powered by Wii (no power supply needed)
You can disable spindown with bundled Software or use cIOSrev13 (spindown fixed).

I think here begins another "flame war" between the "Western Digital My Passport Essentials" and the "Seagate FreeAgent Go". (Do you want a small 2,5"?)

greets, User423

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. The Seagate drives can be configured to not go to sleep, they are slightly smaller than the WD, and they have a 5 year warranty. Only downside is the cable they give you. If you have problems, I suggest swapping it out for a high quality one.

I believe the Seagate FreeAgent Go drive are on sale at Staples right now.

FireFreek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Store-It Colors! 160GB is what I use. Works fine with USB loader, haven't tried Mplayer or Geexbox. And it's a really generic brand HDD, so it's cheap.

deanq4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look here and see what the compatibility ratings are. Then decide. I went with a Transcend 320GB StoreJet 2.5 Mobile and it seems to work for me. Was $81 at Amazon.com too.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And i thought the HDD does not matter. Maybe only for spindown issues, but in that case there has to be software from the HDD manufacturer to disable that. Compatibity is determined by the enclosure.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
And i thought the HDD does not matter. Maybe only for spindown issues, but in that case there has to be software from the HDD manufacturer to disable that. Compatibity is determined by the enclosure.

Unfortunately, no. Western Digital does not offer anything from their official website to turn off the spindown on their internal drives. However, some people have had success using sdparm, including myself.

keropi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I can confirm that the WESTERN DIGITAL WDMES3200TE PASSPORT ESSENTIAL 320GB hdd works perfect, no "sleep" features detected

Drag0nflamez

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
JDMEVOIXMR said:
how much memory do i need for backups?
Depends on how much games you play. Also, when you've completed a game (or when you hate it), you can remove it from your HDD. I say: 320 GB is enough, since most WBFS Managers also scrub the isoz

Logan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a Seagate external 500GB. Its not a Freeagent though. But Tesco and PC World (online) sell it for a mere £50 at the moment, and it works a treat
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1