What have I done to my Wii?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nonoitall, Sep 10, 2010.

Sep 10, 2010
  1. nonoitall
    OP

Newcomer nonoitall Newbie

United States
    Okay, my situation isn't as dire as the numerous question marks and exclamation points imply, but that is a question whose answer I'd like. [​IMG]

About a year and a half ago was when I got my Wii, and I immediately was interested in running homebrew, emulators, backup launchers and what not. I followed this guide to get Gamma and the Homebrew Channel on there, and I've pretty much done nothing to modify it since then. I kept a casual eye on the homebrew scene and a few months ago I got curious about ripping some of my games onto a USB hard drive, but never quite got around to messing around with it. Then, just a few weeks ago I bought SMG2 and tonight I tried playing it (just regularly through the disc channel) and got a black screen. (Trying to launch it through the Gamma loader yielded "Error #2".)

So anyway, I figure it's high time I took the steps to get my Wii up-to-date with all the latest homebrewery goodness so that I can do some of the neat new things I've been reading about and get my game working. I've read some of the stickies and other threads to try and familiarize myself with IOS's, cIOS's and WAD's and I'm pretty sure I get the gist of what they are. But I'm still a little hazy on what I've done so far and what I'll have to do to get everything working as I'd like. My questions are:
    • What exactly did I do under the hood when I followed that guide? (Specifically, what IOS's/cIOS's got installed, and what other things got modified? You can spare me the details up through the Twilight Hack itself; I know what a buffer overflow exploit is.)
    • I'm still running firmware version 3.2U. I understand that updating the firmware from Nintendo generally breaks things, but most of the up-to-date guides I see apply to version 4.2. Do I need to update the firmware? If so, why, and how can I do so safely?
    • I get the impression that SMG2 doesn't work because I don't have the required IOS installed, and I'm guessing that that IOS won't install by conventional means (if by any means) on this firmware version. Have I guessed correctly, or is there a different explanation?
    • Is it possible to run GC backups from a USB drive yet? If not, is progress being made on that front?
    • What are the 'main' USB backup loaders? (IE, what ones are feature-full/actively developed?)
    Thanks in advance if you good fellows can assist me on my quest away from ignorance. [​IMG]

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Well I don't know about pre-modded Wii using that guide of yours but I can tell you that I tried softmodding my Wii using this guide originally - but got 'stuck' (confused really) on the DVD playback etc

I THEN used ModMii (when it was known as 'NUS Auto Downloader') & got everything up-&-running straight away with no problems (note that you need to run it twice - first time to softmod the Wii with latest cIOS etc, second time to get 'USB Access')

This WILL allow you to update the firmware @ the same time as installing the modified cIOS's - but I've never tried that part out so can't say how good that part is (I was already on 4.2 before softmodding)

I then tried a manual cIOS update & buggered something up (still not sure what though), so instead of using the NAND backup - I used a newer version of ModMii on my already modded Wii - & THAT worked first time as well

I can tell you that I've managed to run SMG2 (Pal version) from the original Disk AND from a USB HDD backup as well after all this softmodding without adding any new IOS etc
    • As for GC backup from USB - I don't think any progress has been made yet in that department,
    • For 'main loaders' the one that come with ModMii (I think it's 'Configurable USB') seems quite capable of running a lot of games without much intervention from me & also seems very 'active' in development

3. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
  4. nonoitall
    OP

Newcomer nonoitall Newbie

United States
    ModMii did the trick. [​IMG] Got everything up-to-date and have been playing SMG2 from my hard drive for the past couple days. Thanks!