Hacking What has better game companionabl Origina R4ds or Acekard 2.1?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd say Acekard now because of it's Anti-Anti-Piracy. While with Wood, you have to wait for updates. The updates come fast, but in most cases [this is coming from my experience], games work right away with Acekard and AKAIO 1.8.1.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wood and AKAIO are relatively even in terms of game compatibility.
Wood has faster updates since YWG doesn't have to worry about loader encryption.
But AKAIO has Anti-AP so you might not have to wait for an update to play a game.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the akaio AP came from the wood rpg firmware. it has run on the nand for more than a year and only recently ported to work on the sd card. the r4 vesion of wood can never have AP patching because the r4 hardware does not support it.

-another world

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Picking between the R4DS or Acekard 2i I would have to say Acekard 2i.

Here are some reasons why;

1)The Official R4DS teem has disbanded years ago due to legal issues with Nintendo (no surprise there.)
2)MOST of the R4DS Carts out there are clones and are comprised of bad, faulty hardware.
3)The R4DS has hardware limitations that prevent it from loading games under 8000h (Thus making Anti-AP Impossible)
4)Because of reason 3 this makes compatibility poor due to the delay between necessary FW updates.
5)Because of reason 2 this increases the chance of damaging you DS hardware.
6)It is unlawful to import "R4DS Cards" in Europe.(Bullsh*t I know. This is why I live in the USA.)
7)There are much better flash cards out there like Acekard, Cyclos, SuperCard, and EZ Flash to name a few.
8)The UI for Wood R4 is similar to AKAIO. Also Wood R4 does not support clones.
9)(Not entirely sure but) The original R4s do NOT support the SDHC (8 GB+) Micro SD Cards while the AK2i Does.
10)Most of the time, you get what you pay for, cheep Flashcards are never a good idea.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DJ91990 said:
4)Because of reason 3 this makes compatibility poor due to the delay between necessary FW updates.WoodR4 updates pretty fast.

8)The UI for Wood R4 is similar to AKAIO. Also Wood R4AKAIO does not support clones. Wood R4 now supports the 'R4i Gold' clone from r4idsn.cn
9)(Not entirely sure but) The original R4s do NOT support the SDHC (84 GB+) Micro SD Cards while the AK2i Does.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought original R4 couldn't go above 2GB?
ohmy.gif

Anyways, yeah, cross out a few things that DJ said, because... they, just guessed on a lot.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DJ91990 said:
Picking between the R4DS or Acekard 2i I would have to say Acekard 2i.

Here are some reasons why;

1)The Official R4DS teem has disbanded years ago due to legal issues with Nintendo (no surprise there.)
2)MOST of the R4DS Carts out there are clones and are comprised of bad, faulty hardware.
3)The R4DS has hardware limitations that prevent it from loading games under 8000h (Thus making Anti-AP Impossible)
4)Because of reason 3 this makes compatibility poor due to the delay between necessary FW updates.
5)Because of reason 2 this increases the chance of damaging you DS hardware.
6)It is unlawful to import "R4DS Cards" in Europe.(Bullsh*t I know. This is why I live in the USA.)
7)There are much better flash cards out there like Acekard, Cyclos, SuperCard, and EZ Flash to name a few.
8)The UI for Wood R4 is similar to AKAIO. Also Wood R4 does not support clones.
9)(Not entirely sure but) The original R4s do NOT support the SDHC (8 GB+) Micro SD Cards while the AK2i Does.
10)Most of the time, you get what you pay for, cheep Flashcards are never a good idea.

1) True enough, but it's not hard to obtain a legitimate R4DS/1:1 clone, the packaging is easy enough to identify.
2) True again, refer to my first point.
3) This is true, but with good support like YWG's currently frequent updates, this is not necessary.
4) The R4's current compatibility is FAR from poor, Wood Firmware in its current state plays 99.8% of DS games easily.
5) This is VERY RARELY mentioned, I think at best only the N5 might be known to cause this through blown fuses.
6) As far as I'm aware, in the UK it's only illegal to sell *any* flashcarts within the country. It's still possible to purchase flashcarts from outside the country.
7) Duh, if just for SDHC support, DSi support or added features.
8) Wood R4 actually does support R4iDSN, and will support any flashcart which asks for the support in fact. Are you the producer of an R4 clone? Go talk to YWG then.
9) This is entirely true and is a good reason to choose the Acekard 2i instead.
10) And this is true, infact let me explain...

The fact of the matter is Wood R4 and AKAIO have very VERY similar firmware which share roots in each other, improved in Wood firmware are often found in AKAIO and vice versa.
Although Wood R4 cannot achieve Anti-AP due to hardware limitations, frequent firmware updates more than make up for this.

Here's the skinny, the only real advantages AKAIO has right now are Anti-AP, SDHC support, DSi support, and wifi updating.
If you're happy with 2gb of memory and never plan to use a DSi, then guess what? The original R4DS or a 1:1 clone is just what you're looking for, $13 will give you everything you could really want.
But if you feel like spending a bit more money on what would probably be for you, a substitute for a multi-hundred dollar hobby, go ahead, buy the Acekard for the fact it can do that much more.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wood is better supported, Akaio is a bit deeper all around. If you have a DS, or DS Lite, it doesn't matter which of the two you get, it's really a preference thing. If you have a DSi, or DSiXL, obviously you want an AK2i.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
I thought original R4 couldn't go above 2GB?
ohmy.gif
Non-HC MicroSDs have a limit of 4GB.
The SD Association has not approved(?) a specification for 4GB cards, but some do exist.
If the 4GB Non-SDHC's will work on an R4 is another matter all together. Also, they're quite expensive ($40+).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That was scary just had a half a second power flash