Gaming What happens when the clock battery dies?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CMOS battery is required to play games, regardless if it is physical or digital. You can replace the CMOS battery and resync with Sony' server before they take it down. When PS4's PSN is shut down, there is no official way to resync time with the new battery, therefore the PS4 is considered a brick when the PSN is shut down.

Reactions: leonquest

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The CMOS battery is required to play games, regardless if it is physical or digital. You can replace the CMOS battery and resync with Sony' server before they take it down. When PS4's PSN is shut down, there is no official way to resync time with the new battery, therefore the PS4 is considered a brick when the PSN is shut down.
That is unless they remove this requirement before they shut down the servers (as they should)

leonquest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's what the article says but I'm wondering if it also applies to HEN users

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what the article says but I'm wondering if it also applies to HEN users

it does, and there's no way to sync the battery either without updating to latest firmware.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

its using a lithium battery (what watches use), which can last quite a long time, many years. however, it will die eventually.

leonquest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it does, and there's no way to sync the battery either without updating to latest firmware.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

its using a lithium battery (what watches use), which can last quite a long time, many years. however, it will die eventually.

It must have been a browser error, I never double post on purpose.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not 100% sure but pretty sure it doesn't matter on Hen, as the game are fake package, it doesn't check with Sony server, just that you can't use official package.

simbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would think one could simply tear down the console, and carefully replace the battery with a fresh one, while still giving the motherboard power. Or better yet.. connecting a secondary battery to its solder points, before swapping it out. Definitely curious about the best way of preventing it, since any launch jail broken PS4 is at serious risk of becoming a brick.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is unless they remove this requirement before they shut down the servers (as they should)
doubt it though this is $ony we're talking bout here when asked about PS3 Game Preservation they basicly gave the middle finger and said "it's business we don't give af" though i can see them eating their words when another lawsuit comes around (I mean they lost the otherOS suit and i highly doubt they'll win this one (if/when it happens)

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time stops and you're stuck in an endless day with nothing to do but wait for the clock battery stores to open, but they never will :ohnoes:

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This actually needs a fix from Sony.

There are two reasons the ps4 requires a synched and cryptosigned clock to boot all games.

1) To enforce predownloading. If the clock wasn't synched you could play digital games before release date.
2) If you can time travel, you can get trophies shown as before your friends.

When there are no longer any new releases for PS4, Sony can then remove the predownload protection, because there will be no more prereleases.

At this point, they could remove the boot requirement, and then make it so trophies are disabled without clock sync. Until then, it's not gonna get removed.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you think it's a clever move to replace the current CMOS battery (for PS3 or PS4)? In order to extend its lifespan some years further?

Maybe in the future all PS3s/PS4s will have that problem and the rare working units will be sold at high price!

Last edited by depaul,

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
from what I heard it is possible on jailbroken PS4 to set the clock manually and it only matters so the PS4 can see you earned trophies before what is set as clock.
correct me if I am wrong.

RyanWalker12

Trophies
Website
bestpotdelivery.com
XP
Country
United States
Built-in obsolescence for PS4 is a class-action lawsuit in waiting for Sony. It's outrageous that even physical collections are not safe. I'm seriously considering passing on this generation of consoles and moving to PC, building a DRM-free library on GOG.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Built-in obsolescence for PS4 is a class-action lawsuit in waiting for Sony. It's outrageous that even physical collections are not safe. I'm seriously considering passing on this generation of consoles and moving to PC, building a DRM-free library on GOG.
The TOS completely protect them. It's incredibly vague.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, playing predownloaded games early is a valid concern for Sony, and the alternative is to disable predownloads, and cause their servers to be packed more at release date.

And since all games copy to the hard drive from the disc (to make all games have downloadable versions) it impacts disc games. This is to let you transition to a download version of a borrowed disc game and keep your save.

Sony is not actually trying to be evil here, as evidenced by them deciding to leave the stores open. They can fix this on ps3 now with a final update to the firmware.

As soon as the last ps4 game is released, the same fix can be applied to that platform. But how would you fix this before then? The fix must let people predownload games and play them while offline, but prevent them from playing them before release date by wiping the battery, and manually setting the date after release.

A suit is the wrong way to go here. This was not planed obsolescence, it's a reasonable anti cheat and reasonable DRM that wasn't quite thought through.

Btw, adjusting the local time of the trophies before sync is not actually a valid solution to catch early trophies. Someone could wipe cmos, set the time forward, get trophies, then wipe cmos again, and it would set the obtained date back into the past. The only option is to completely delete all locally stored trophies that have not been synced when doing a clock resync and certification that changes the clock (but not timezone) by a significant amount.

Last edited by Zaphod77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse