what happens to legit cias if i seperate nands

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Dan-the-Rebirth, May 9, 2015.

1. Dan-the-Rebirth
    OP

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    well as the title says iam thinking about unlinking sys and emu nand but i like to play the legits on sysnand, what happens if i seperate the two nands

2. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I can't say for certain as I've never done it or researched it, but I imagine you'd back up the SD, boot emuNAND, do a system format there, and theoretically you should be able to redownload the games even on emuNAND. Copy the files back to your SD to play on sysNAND. Note that this means that you want games on both NANDs, they'll be taking up twice the space since the folders aren't linked.

Get professional advice before following mine though.

3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah if you unlink the nands you will have to install the games twice to be able to use them in both sysnand and emunand, also your saves will be separate between nands

4. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    Well the op said he wants to play legit cias in sysnand, so why he would install them in emunand too?

5. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    depends on what he formats :)

If he formats emunand, he can play the pre-installed games still in his sysnand, he only has to setup emunand again with all cia's legit or not
    If he formats sysnand, he has to disable emunand (hex edit), to reinstall all again to sysnand (he can't redownload them from the eshop)

6. Dan-the-Rebirth
    OP

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    or i just boot into sysnand with the new GW, right?

so if i format sysnand i only need to backup the legit saves with SDF, reboot, eject internal SD format sys memory, getinto GW sysnand mode and reinstall the legits and inject the Saves

do i need to reinstasll the mset excploit?

7. InfoFront

InfoFront Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2015
    United States
    After unlinking, I kept my legit CIA games in Emunand after previously having them only installed on sysnand. My save games and such carried over too. Here's how:
    1. Backup SD card
    2. Emunand Format from the gateway menu
    3. Boot Sysnand without SD card
    4. Format Sysnand
    5. Insert SD card with 3DS still powered on
    6. Power Off
    7. Drag and drop your backed up SD card contents back onto the SD card.

There will now be 2 folders in the Nintendo 3DS directory. One is for sysnand, the other for emunand. They'll now be unlinked and your legit games should now be playable on emunand.