Hacking What happens if you use someone else's NAND backup?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you convert it with betwiin, then you can install their wii onto yours. you dont get all the important data, so you cant use their shop channel and share the download rights. also, HBC will give you the finger and nag screen. but you can do most stuff like play their game saves and use their Miis.

you can run somebody else's nand in sneek and fake that important data. ive got a PAL nand that somebody sent me and i can run it fine in sneek on my usa wii. i can download their channels that theyve paid for onto my wii and play them. and i can use the HBC fine, as it thinks it is still on their wii so it doesnt give me the scam screen.

thejellydude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One of my main issues is that no matter what I do, USB loader GX doesn't want to work with me. If I get the NAND of someone who's system does run it properly, would I be able to install it on my system without screwing everything up?

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
thejellydude said:
One of my main issues is that no matter what I do, USB loader GX doesn't want to work with me. If I get the NAND of someone who's system does run it properly, would I be able to install it on my system without screwing everything up?
The phrase taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind here. Inability to load GX is hardly likely to be Nand related.

thejellydude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My only reasoning is that NAND contains all sorts of precious data, including channels, system updates, etc. If it also contains the IOS, it only furthers my point. I probably screwed up somewhere, and if someone has one that works, why not give it a shot?

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
thejellydude said:
My only reasoning is that NAND contains all sorts of precious data, including channels, system updates, etc. If it also contains the IOS, it only furthers my point. I probably screwed up somewhere, and if someone has one that works, why not give it a shot?
Quite simply because e.g. re-doing the mod is a much simpler and safer method that's why (and even that would be close to a last resort). There are a myriad number of ways to get GX working - using someone elses nand is not one of them - think of it like changing a car's ECU unit because a warning light was on! Perhaps if you explained your problem in greater detail we can fix it?

thejellydude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have before in the Backup Loader section, and once in here. Spent about a week working on it, and I've done just about everything. My Wii can't connect to the Wi-Fi which makes everything just a bit trickier. I'm willing to try again I guess, but a NAND install just sounds easier.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It sounds easier perhaps (a lot of things do in theory but not in practice) but remember you need to ensure boot1 is the same and boot2 is compatible (the same or newer) plus it requires betwin conversion and of course assuming it doesn't brick during install you are using their game saves not yours. It is certainly not in practice simpler!
Seriously such stuff is not recommended just for something as straightforward as GX not running, rather its for wiis that are bricked!

thejellydude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eh. I hardly touch the system anymore, and realistically, I only see myself getting back into it with a HDD loader. If there were some way to reset the system to factory setting and start over I would, but as far as I know, that isn't a possibility.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Out of interest have you tried loading GX without your USB powered on and then when you get to the "waiting for your slow USB drive) only powering it on then?
Also might be useful deleting the GX config files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm