What happens if you try to install a partially downloaded game/update?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by WillTheLion, Oct 27, 2016.

1. WillTheLion
    OP

WillTheLion GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2014
    United States
    Has anyone tried or accidentally installed a partially downloaded game or update? I had my laptop go into sleep mode while downloading on something accidentally and I wasn't sure if it all downloaded correctly. I could just redownload the game but do we know if it would cause a brick if someone did accidentally install something that was incomplete?

2. Neofire4

Neofire4 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2013
    United States
    It probably won't install because it doesn't have all the files.

3. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    It just will throw an error in your face. Also why don't you disable sleep mode while plugged in?

4. WillTheLion
    OP

Jun 8, 2014
    United States
    My laptop was was set to go into sleep mode when I closed it, I tried to partially close it to see the tv to see the wii u game I was testing and accidentally shut it too far and closed it. It did seem to have continued the download though oddly enough. Perhaps it just resumed where it stopped. I was using nusgrabber. It seems to have worked. It was Star Fox Zero I was downloading. The game starts, thought it seems like maybe the icon on the home menu looks a little pixelated around the red fox logo, but that may just be how it is supposed to look and I might be seeing things a bit.

5. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    If it's booting then everything is fine AFAIK, it will break somewhere in the process if it wasn't, the tmd has hashes for all files and unless it magically has the same hash, it's fine

6. ADS3500

ADS3500 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2016
    Canada
    The installer froze for me when I installed a game once, so I had to unplug the system. When I turned it back on, it just said please wait and deleted all of the installed data from that game, so there isn't a risk with installing games. Also, it's normal for the Star Fox Zero logo to look pixelated.

7. WillTheLion
    OP

Jun 8, 2014
    United States
    Okay that's cool. Thanks for the information guys. Glad to know there really is so much safety built into this.

Good to know. Odd that it's like that but glad to know it's not some glitch.

I guess we can consider the case closed for this thread then.