What happens if you perform game-destroying glitches on 3DS VC games?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Rubedo, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Rubedo
    OP

Rubedo Aikawa is OLEV

Jul 29, 2008
    United States
    I mean, the really bad glitches. The kind that can corrupt your save file, permanently damage game data or even brick cartridges or consoles.

Examples:
    MissingNo. Glitch in Pokemon Red/Blue - http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/MissingNo.
    Sketch Glitch in Final Fantasy VI - http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sketch_bug
    Castle Crush Glitch in Donkey Kong Country 2 - https://donkeykong.fandom.com/wiki/Castle_Crush_Glitch

What would happen if you performed glitches like these on 3DS VC games? I know some versions of these games have these glitches fixed, so what if you injected a rom of the game into VC that still had the glitches? Would it just crash your 3DS? Would it brick the system or cause data corruption?

2. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Addict

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    The worst that should happen is a crash and save data corruption of that specific game. It's running in an emulator so it should have zero possibility to mess with anything outside the game.

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  3. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 AyyMDionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    It would do nothing at all other than crash the emulator or freeze the system, however, I do have to point some things out:
    1. Missingno. is totally harmless, the only thing it does is corrupt Hall of Fame data.
    2. The sketch glitch doesn't harm the hardware at all, it only deletes the save data.
    3. The Castle Crush "brick" only affects the cartrage by corrupting the save, which can be fixed by removing the battery on a real cartrage, or uninstalling and reinstalling the game on VC

4. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure the Missingno glitch just duplicated items in a certain slot, and screwed up Hall of Fame data. No data loss at all. Sometimes you accessed the Hall of Fame and it will freeze, but that just needed a restart.

I remember doing that crazy amounts of time for infinite rare candies.

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  5. Rubedo
    OP

Rubedo Aikawa is OLEV

Jul 29, 2008
    United States
    Missingno itself is harmless. However there are other Glitch Pokemon that can cause data corruption.

TurdPooCharger and H1B1Esquire like this.
  6. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinkerâ„¢

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    3DS VC is pretty much sandbox, it wouldn't really affect anything else on the system or cause demage. It probably will corrupt your save data and cause freezes (depending on the glitch) but it certainly won't brick or cause any damage to other software.

7. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 AyyMDionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Yeah but none of them cause unrepairable hardware damage

8. Toasty

Toasty Queen

Apr 1, 2011
    United States
    Toledo OH
    Is the sketch glitch really that bad? When I had FF3 on SNES back in the day sketch pretty much glitched every single time I randomly decided to use it, nothing that bad ever happened, just a bunch of temporary glitches that went away after having to restart. I don't think the game has functioned long enough after using it for me to get to the save menu.

9. Calzone420

Calzone420 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2019
    United States
    Thats mostly true with missing no, but he will screw with the trainer graphics in battle. at least, he did for me

10. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 AyyMDionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    That isn't harmful at all, and you can fix it by looking at a Pokedex entry

11. Calzone420

Calzone420 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2019
    United States
    Cool! I didn't know that. guess I can save after catching him then. Thanks