what happens if you get caught with fake windows 7.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by metal079, Apr 14, 2011.

1. metal079
    OP

Newcomer metal079 Member

United States
    I downloaded a windows 7 torent and before I install it I want to know what will happen if I get caught with a fake windows.

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Bill Gates comes into your home and pisses on your computer. He then makes out with your mother and shoves a $100 bill in her granny panties and disappears in a puff of smoke.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The FBI come knocking on your door for violation of Microsoft's rights to take all of your money from you. And then Bill Gates Jr does what TwinRetro described.

4. Aijelsop

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    If you get caught, you could pay huge fines. But most likely, you won't get caught. MILLIONS of people do it.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You won't be able to do windows update or use specific features of the OS.

And then your dog will explode.

6. metal079
    OP

Newcomer metal079 Member

United States
    how do you get caught? updating?

7. caster62003

Member caster62003 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That and instead of your normal desktop background, it will be changed to a black one, and down in the bottom right hand corner, there will say something to the effect that it has not been registered, and eventually you will start getting popups every so often saying you need to activate...then if you completely neglect to activate with a valid key, you will be forced to activate before being able to login...but so long as it activates properly the first time, there is a very minimal chance for any of these activities to take place, Microsoft could care less about their computer OS, they are more worried about Xbox hackers and dropping the ban hammer on them.

This being said, if you are that worried about it, why not purchase the upgrade version of Windows 7, and activate with that key, you can still install the full OS, and you save a couple bucks compared to the full version, and you do not have to run the risk of being caught. I would also make sure the installer has not been modified in any way, if the installer is modified, it could mean some malicious code has been planted, or you may just not be satisfied with the end product. Then again it could work out great, and I just wasted a few bits of your bandwidth.

8. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think the better question is: "what happens if u get caught using windows?"

9. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0aVCuFHt88[/youtube]

10. Originality

United Kingdom
    During the installation, you have to enter a valid serial key. After initial installation, it will try to register with Microsoft where it will upload your OS ID (which includes your encrypted serial number) and a list of your hardware IDs (so they know what type of computer you're running). If they detect the serial number as already being used (and your hardware IDs are completely different), it will bring up the Genuine Advantage Notification saying "You may be the victim of software counterfiting" or something along those lines. Windows will then be very annoying about telling you how to purchase a valid license at 4 times the price that you find in shops (in other words, the original RRP). This behaviour is akin to more annoying viruses.
    EDIT: this behaviour also occurs randomly to genuine users for seemingly unknown reasons. The solution is simple: call up Microsoft and they'll sort your problem out over the phone.. takes about 2 minutes. Based on this, I think they also do random checks every year or so.

If you do not enter a valid serial key, it will just not "activate". I forget what happens to a non-activated copy of Windows (maybe it just runs under Windows 7 Starter), but IIRC it gives you 28 days to enter a valid serial key.

Aside from that, every post in this thread so far has been absolutely serious. Microsoft is srs bsns. You don't mess with the biggest and greediest corporation in the world.

11. OmegaVesko

Member OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    I've updated pirated copies of 7 for quite a few people, and absolutely nothing happened. There's a certain update that causes the "Non-Genuine" pop-up, but you can just choose not to install that one. heck, I'm running a pirated copy myself, fully updated with SP1 and absolutely nothing is wrong with it.

The Bill Gates story is pretty funny, though.

EDIT: Also about the activation thing - It's a joke. There's literally about a dozen workarounds for that.

12. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Lol, this, this what happens

13. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    [​IMG]
    and you won't be able to change background image + no windows update.
    There is however a ton of hacks and stuff that can get past this.

14. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Steve Jobs gives you a handshake.

1 person likes this.
  15. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    [​IMG]

16. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    What does Apple have to do with this topic?

Microsoft gets into trouble for undercutting competitors.
    Apple bundles their overpriced hardware with their software.

Microsoft can't do anything without a federal investigation.
    Apple silently installs it's applications during an update.

17. kanefan666

Newcomer kanefan666 Advanced Member

India
    No Windows update (who uses it anyways?) and no background... and get windows 98 if your THAT afraid [​IMG]

18. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    IIRC, you get to keep Aero, or at least Aero Basic, and the desktop wallpaper becomes unchangable but remains what it was.

19. Originality

United Kingdom
    IIRC, you can still change the background/wallpaper colour (so long as it's one of the default block colours). It doesn't have to be black.