what happened to my preloader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Arendo, Sep 2, 2009.

Sep 2, 2009
  1. Arendo
    OP

Member Arendo GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    So, here's the 'complete' story:
    I was at softmod 4.0E, with preloader 0.29 (never knew, untill recently that I had to have bootMII with that [​IMG]), HBC 1.0.1 installed, everything worked fine.
    I got this far using guides by folks of you, and I'm tremendously thankful [​IMG]
    and for such great minds, I've got a mystery to solve! [​IMG]

After I got this message from Nintendo that there was a new udpate available, I first started wondering about the endless possibilities and whichever might be held inside this new update. After not much effort I found a safe way to update, using waninkoko's updater. Trusting the fellow my WII's life, I updated, regardless of my limited knowledge about the consequences.
    After the update, my WII rebooted and I saw the healthscreen for the first time in a long time... What? I resetted to make sure... Yep... I searched the internet. Hard reboot, hold reset... Healthscreen. I searched, searched, posted an offtopic quick question regarding this, searched and searched - for those who aren't following, preloader just disappeared, or so it seems - and found these possible solutions: I don't know, just don't do anything that could screw with my system; I use NANDcleaner (or whachamacallit?) and remove preloader(is it really that easy?); or just re-install preloader, although this seems hardly the right thing to do [​IMG].

So, who knows how to not brick my WII and get preloader back?

I'd be forever grateful [​IMG]

2. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    anytime you upgrade/downgrade the system menu preloader will be removed.

Just use HBC and reinstall it.

3. soopa

Member soopa GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    re install preloader with the 4.1 hacks from your region

4. Arendo
    OP

Member Arendo GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    really? that easy huh? well, that's nice [​IMG] thank you very much [​IMG] forever grateful! been bugging me for a couple of days now...

5. playingsolitare

Newcomer playingsolitare Member

United States
    I have a few questions regarding updates

1) Why do people use Waninkoko's 4.1 updater instead of the official Nintendo one?
    2) I heard that official Nintendo updates (from your region) can never brick your wii, but it can remove that mods in place. Is this true?

6. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    1] waninkoko's keep your IOS trucha bugged while Nintendo's overwrites them with official IOS's and therefore, blocks the trucha bug which is needed very much.
    2]any update can brick your wii, official or not.

7. playingsolitare

Newcomer playingsolitare Member

United States
    Hmm I see. I got my wii (used) only a few weeks ago and modded it right away. Then I updated from 3.3U to 4.1U via Nintendo and everything still worked (games via backup launcher).

8. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    well then dont worry about anything life is peachy in that case.

9. YellowYoYos

Member YellowYoYos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I find this topic quite funny, installed preloader and dont even know what it installs as haha

10. DAREALGUMMY

Newcomer DAREALGUMMY Member

United States
    I kinda have the same problem. Had my wii at 4.0U for awhile now but wanted to update since I wanted to use the New internet channel. I'm aware that preloader is gone after I update but when I try to reinstall it....it semi bricks my wii again. It installs so luckily i can get the system menu back, but why cant I not install it again after i downgrade then upgrade again?