What happened to maurifrogs softmod guide?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by IsaiahBeal, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2011
  1. IsaiahBeal

IsaiahBeal Newbie

Seriously, i've searched all over google, and over pretty much every modding site and I cant find it. I really need it because I hear it is the best and most recommended softmod guide. If any on has a link to it, please post it. Thanks

2. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    Why not use modmii? Not that maurifrogs guide is bad or anything, but modmii is by far the easiest thing to use, and it will generate a custom guide for the settings that you enter in to the program.

But if you really want maurifrog's guide, it is over on wiihacks

3. IsaiahBeal

IsaiahBeal Newbie

4. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    I am telling you, just use ModMii, everyone else will agree, it will make your modding experience a whole lot simpler and hassle free.

If you absolutely need that guide for some reason, it is on wii hacks, in the tutorials section. It isn't posted by maurifrog, but it is his guide.

5. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    Try searching for his actual name... mauifrog...
    MAUIfrog

6. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Use ModMii for speedy basic softmod, Softmod ANY Wii for everything.

1 person likes this.
  7. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    I got nothing against the other guide, but common... the ONLY thing the other guide does that ModMii doesn't is region changing.

8. burritoboy9984

Member burritoboy9984 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ^ Fixed :)

But to answer the OP question, I believe he deleted it.

-Erik

9. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    If you want a similiar mod to that which mauifrogs gude provided just mod with ModMii and then use WiiMod to install a custom System Menu it's that easy :)

10. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    http://www.wiihacks....od-any-wii.html

Wow, that was so hard to find. Seriously, it took me a whole 10 seconds to navigate to it and find it on wiihacks. I thought all hope was lost after the first 5 seconds and I thought I would never find it. Good thing I kept on struggling to find it for that extra 5 seconds. It was like an uphill battle in a blizzard. I just did not know when my total of 4 mouse clicks were going to end.

In all seriousness, you go to gbatemp to ask where the guide is on wiihacks?!? I smell a troll, especially after the recent events that occurred.

Honestly, Modmii is truly the way to go. You get a guide specific to your needs and you don't have to sift through a bunch of things that you can't use. And Modmii is legal. Any guide that links to a bunch of file packs is illegal.

11. XFlak

Canada
    @kylster,
    not 100% true, if u change the version # of the system menu u would need a modified hacks.ini file or hacks_hash.ini file in order to get system menu hacks working in priiloader. But increasing the SM version does not add any value in my opinion. Block updates hacks works just fine, and even if someone were to disable that hack and update their softmodded wii with an official ninty update it's really easy to resoftmod. And besides, users would need to resoftmod even if using the other guide and the SM version # was maxxed out because their IOS249/250 would be stubbed (since it's using d2x cIOSs which are currently at v21007, ie. v7). The only difference would be that users would also need to reinstall priiloader.

12. gtmtnbiker

Member gtmtnbiker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ha ha ha. Really, people are too friggin lazy these days.

+1 to the ModMii recommendation. It is really that good.

13. T.Kuranari

Member T.Kuranari GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I am rarely angered by opinions of other people, but I'm sorry I need to say something about this.

@DeadlyFoes: Weren't you the one who first bashed his guide for no reason whatsoever to the point where he couldn't take it anymore so that he requested his guide to be removed? And now you are bashing his guide again? What is wrong with you? This is a free forum, where everybody is free to contribute whatever he/she thinks is useful. You are not a mod and therefore have no business deciding whether a guide should be removed or not. This is not a place for softmod guide wars. It doesn't matter if you or other people think that ModMii is better.

I believe you are a smart man, but you obviously are somewhat biased since you ignored the fact, that ModMii has his share of issues. For instance ModMii is completly useless for Mac and Linux users. Not everybody uses Windows. ModMii lacks further explanations of the things users are about to do to their Wiis. All what it provides are instructions and basic explanations with automated downloads.

Also there are people who prefer to read a well written guide and do all softmod steps themselves. There are people who actually want to gain knowledge about softmoding and not blindly follow all steps a computer tool provides.

Make no mistake, I too think ModMii is great, but it really doesn't eliminate the need of other guides.

And why do you think other guides than ModMii are illegal? Not every guide violates licenses such as GPL. You are cleary the one who acts like a troll here, sorry!

14. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    First off, I don't feel that I am bashing his guide here at all. Second, I am contributing what I think is useful. Third, mauifrog was wanting to drop supporting his guide anyways even before I opened my mouth and I was just the person that helped him make that final decision.

About the legality of other guides, please reread what I wrote. I have said clearly, on multiple occasions, that those packs of files that you download contain Nintendo copyrighted code. Thats why they are illegal. It has nothing to do with gpl stuff because a guide does not even fall under gpl anyways.

Modmii, although it doesn't teach people everything about the wii and what a wad file is and all of that, but xflak does state in this generated guides that to get more detailed info to go to the Complete Softmod Site, which does contain every bit of info and even more than mauifrogs guide, and xflak even provides the link.

P.S. It's DeadlyFoez, not DeadlyFoes. Notice the 'z' and not an 's'. :D

Also, as stated many times modmii will work on mac and linux if the person decides to use a virtual machine like Wine.

I don't think mauifrogs guide should be deleted off the net, but I think it has no place on this site considering we already have an illegal guide that is stickied on the forum that will work for anyone no matter what OS they run.

Mauifrogs guide was sitting here for over a year and it just finally got to it's second page a week ago. I never heard anyone on this site recommend mauifrogs guide, but I've always seen people recommend Modmii or the Complete Softmod Guide., but usually ModMii.

I just think it's funny that someone out of no where comes to this site and asks where is a guide on a different site. Obviously that person knows about what happened the other day and they joined this site just to keep the flames going, and it worked well. Successful troll is successful.

15. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    XFlak, I really like ModMii and you have now added almost everything from Softmod ANY Wii, but that doesn't mean everything else should be taken down. ModMii still can't region change, which is an especially important factor if you want to change the language on your Wii. Besides, alternatives aren't a terrible thing to have.

ModMii overall does way more than Softmod ANY Wii, but I'm only comparing the softmodding guides.

16. XFlak

Canada
    Yeah, DeadlyFoes was banned whereass DeadlyFoez was unbanned... same persion but big difference, lol

17. XFlak

Canada
    I just want to go on record that I never wanted to remove other guides from the internet (although I would prefer they don't use shady WAD packs). The closest thing I ever wanted to that was to have the other gbatemp stickied guide (not mauifrog's) unstickied, but not deleted. It was mauifrog's decision and his alone to remove it. You can't blame deadlyfoez for speaking his mind (even if he can be a little overly blunt after a few drinks). If I got negative feedback on ModMii and decided to close the project down, that would be my decision and not the person providing their feedback.

In the end ppl just need to remember that mauifrog wanted to close his guide down. He, Foez and I even had PMs after he took it down and there were no hard feelings at all. I'm sure mauifrog is pleased to see that people are still finding his work helpful, but there's no need to attack Foez for a decision which was not his.

18. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    ^^Well said XFlak.

You always seem to say what I am thinking in a manner more appropriate than how I would say it.

19. lex luthor

Member lex luthor GBAtemp Regular

United States
    He is the brain and you are the brawn haha

20. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden

You obviously dont have any clue whatsoever about Mac or Linux. If you, by any chance, are using any of those 2 - go back to windows, mac and linux is too complicated for you.
    The keyword is "Wine", "W" "I" "N" "E". And no, thats not something that was released yesterday, its been around for at least 7 years (incase you were going to pull a "I havnt used mac/linux in a year!"), I dont know exactly how long its been around, but Ive been using it regularly for 7 years.

So to say ModMii is useless on mac and linux is just a flat out lie. Dont spread bullshit.

edit: Actyally, I dont even know why Im bothering yelling at you. I dont think theres any mac or linux user (who uses it as desktop) that doesnt know about wine anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.