Gaming What happened to Kirby Ultra Deluxe?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last year around October, Nintendo announced that they were remaking Kirby Super Star for the DS. They released 10 pictures of the game and a 5 second game clip in a 2008 DS and Wii game preview video. We haven't heard ANYTHING since. Kirby Super Star is one of my favorite games and it'd kick ass to see it on DS. Do you think it's still being made? It's not that it's taking so long, it's just the lack of any progress reports for a half of a year.

Pics:

http://www.jeux-france.com/images_6139.html

Video (scroll over to 2:31 to see about 5 second of the gameplay):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O8Tlk9ay4I

It'd be very sad if this were canceled. What do you guys/girls think has happened? If I don't see anything by E3, I'll be VERY worried.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not impatient about the release of the game. It wouldn't matter if it took a while because I want it to be as good as it can be. The problem I have is absolutely NO progress reports for about 1/2 of a year. I don't want updates every week or even every month, but it'd be nice to have SOME indication that this game is still slated for release. Just a statement that said "We are hard at work on this game" would suffice.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's common knowledge that the patient pirates hath been slain by the robots of the sea.

Silly pirates just didn't know when to call it quits.

In other news, it would indeed be nice to see this made, I heard of it previously but then haven't haerd about it for a while so figured it was just either dropped or cast aside.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"What happened to Kirby Ultra Deluxe?"

The developers caught a peek of your avatar and decided you'd been over served.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Comparison pics:

Spring Breeze Green Greens:
kirbysuperstaru0000bi9.png

61391020071010_201644_8_big.jpg

Dyna Blade Map:
11.jpg

61391020071010_201645_9_big.jpg

Dyna Blade Battle:
12.jpg

61391020071010_201642_4_big.jpg

I didn't start this topic to get sarcastic comments about "impatient pirates". I wanted people's opinions about whether it's canceled or not. The art updates are awesome. I haven't got my SNES anymore and would like a portable version of this with wireless co op.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, but SA-1 games don't work on my computer very well. The images I used were taken from various sites that probably DID use emulators to shoot them. This game was announced and shown to be quite far in development, so it should be completed. Kirby games are VERY popular. I don't actually think many (if any) Kirby games have been canceled. The ones that were just got bumped up to a higher system. This game is also a remake, so it wouldn't be so hard to create an entirely new experience, just updates in graphics and such.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Optimism: Nintendo is being hush-hush about it to unveil it during the summer drought to everyone's surprise.
Pessimism: Nintendo realizes there isn't a summer drought due to titles like FFTA2 or Summon Night, and deletes the game.

Truth be told though, I'd personally go for even purchasing a legal copy of this game as I've put in countless hours of what I claim to be the best Kirby game ever made. To have the remake would be cake, oh yes.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably died with everyone realizing that all Kirby games have been released on Nintendo consoles AND was in Super Smash Bros. Kirby also happens to have been driven to importance by Shigeru Miyamoto himself. The original Kirby's Dreamland 1 was intended to be called Twinkle Popo. Miyamoto saw the potential of Hal's work and helped develop the game into what it is today. I don't know his full role in the games, but his presence and promotion in the beginning leads many to consider the game a Nintendo game instead of a Hal game.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, one friend asked me why the new GC/Wii Kirby game wasn't getting worked on (to our knowledge and when I told him HAL was probably busy with Smash Bros Brawl and Pokemon Ranger 2 he just stared right through me.

No one confused Bungie with Microsoft... the tale of second parties is a sad one.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the following page, Hal Labs is actually "half-owned" by Nintendo:

http://kirby.classicgaming.gamespy.com/kir...p/Kirby_(Games)

Also on this page:

"Kirby's 'life' began with a simple intention by a man named Masahiro Sakurai, working for a tiny company called HAL Labs. He wanted to make a game that anyone could beat, from an adult to a small child. The game they created had no hero at first- just a 'dummy sprite' that was a little round blob with a face. Gradually that blob grew on them and they decided to make him the hero.

At first they called him Popopo, and the game was to be called Twinkle Popo. But somewhere along the line his name was changed to Kirby, and the name of the series to Hoshi no Kaabii, or Kirby of the Stars. Though there are various rumors about the origins of the name, it seems that he really was named after the Nintendo attorney Jack Kirby, who won a major case where Nintendo was sued by Universal Studios. (This is what Mr. Kirby says, anyway!) "

Interesting little character development. I always thought Kirby was named after the vacuum company due to his "ability". I'm surprised they never sued. At any rate, it seems Nintendo had an integral role in Kirby's development and would likely never be made on another system besides Nintendo. They said the same thing about SEGA's Sonic though.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
According to the following page, Hal Labs is actually "half-owned" by Nintendo:

http://kirby.classicgaming.gamespy.com/kir...p/Kirby_(Games)

Also on this page:

"Kirby's 'life' began with a simple intention by a man named Masahiro Sakurai, working for a tiny company called HAL Labs. He wanted to make a game that anyone could beat, from an adult to a small child. The game they created had no hero at first- just a 'dummy sprite' that was a little round blob with a face. Gradually that blob grew on them and they decided to make him the hero.

At first they called him Popopo, and the game was to be called Twinkle Popo. But somewhere along the line his name was changed to Kirby, and the name of the series to Hoshi no Kaabii, or Kirby of the Stars. Though there are various rumors about the origins of the name, it seems that he really was named after the Nintendo attorney Jack Kirby, who won a major case where Nintendo was sued by Universal Studios. (This is what Mr. Kirby says, anyway!) "

Interesting little character development. I always thought Kirby was named after the vacuum company due to his "ability". I'm surprised they never sued. At any rate, it seems Nintendo had an integral role in Kirby's development and would likely never be made on another system besides Nintendo. They said the same thing about SEGA's Sonic though.
That 'half-owning' is what we cal second party.

First party are the actual company themselves, third parties are unaffiliated with them, and second parties are inbetween.

Nintendo actually has a history of taking games that were meant to be something else and turning them into classics.

Hell look at Super Mario Bros. 2, at the time it was quite unbeknownst to most, but over time it showed more and more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yume_K?j...Doki_Doki_Panic

Although it wouldn't be made on another system because it's 2nd party, the same cannot be said for Sonic.

You see Sonic Team originally worked for SEGA (Again, 2nd party pretty much; exclusive), however after some moving around and SEGA going for broke eventually, they moved on to Nintendo, where they now happily(?
tongue.gif
) make games for Nintendo, mostly being handheld. (yay!) They've been working on a few Sonic titles like Dark Brotherhood, but the most important contributions I've seen have been the rivalry between Mario and Sonic in games, and his appearances in games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl. This is very key to most old school gamers, as it pretty much tosses the 2 best old school gaming mascots not only on one system and on one game, but in a fighting game no less, without inhibiting the style of either one.

In any case, 2nd party vs 3rd party aside, hopefully we'll see Kirby in English by early '09.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.