Homebrew Question What happened to dOPUS?

Kox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like it a lot too. I think the developer needs to get over the haters.
There are always haters in life. It’s just part of it.

Amazing effort on the app , shame the developer is short breathed.

Reactions: NoNAND

edtemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before the old thread was locked and the first post deleted, HiD said he was looking into removing tinfoil code. Adubbz has since stopped work on tinfoil, so maybe that concern is moot now, but I can understand why he’d still want do that.

Here’s hoping HiD will release the app again under a new name.

Paperjin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before the old thread was locked and the first post deleted, HiD said he was looking into removing tinfoil code. Adubbz has since stopped work on tinfoil, so maybe that concern is moot now, but I can understand why he’d still want do that.

Here’s hoping HiD will release the app again under a new name.
He's quitting tinfoil yes, but development has been handed to XorTroll. So no, Tinfoil the concern is not moot.

0000ff

Spase Peepole
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy I got dopus on my switch before the project was removed. Easily the best version of tinfoil out there! Small tweaks like delete directory or install all + delete all in the directory would very nice.

Only the switch scene devs would have a problem with someone making a fork of their code and making it better.

@HiD the scene needs you!

Last edited by 0000ff,

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's quitting tinfoil yes, but development has been handed to XorTroll. So no, Tinfoil the concern is not moot.
Xortroll has a pretty bad track record of bad apps
He's gonna ruin tinfoil I think. I hope I'm wrong tho

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm happy I got dopus on my switch before the project was removed. Easily the best version of tinfoil out there! Small tweaks like delete directory or install all + delete all in the directory would very nice.

Only the switch scene devs would have a problem with someone making a fork of their code and making it better.

@HiD the scene needs you!

@HiD broke copyright with dopus, he ripped off nx launcher icons without credit, and to my knowledge he just copy pastad code from 3 apps to make a super app. Of course the original devs are gonna be a bit disappointed. What sense would it make to work on Homebrew just to have someone swoop in and copy your whole code. Then leechers come in and say " this destroys tinfoil" would you be motivated to innovate anymore?

Last edited by jakkal,

0000ff

Spase Peepole
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xortroll has a pretty bad track record of bad apps
He's gonna ruin tinfoil I think. I hope I'm wrong tho

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@HiD broke copyright with dopus, he ripped off nx launcher icons without credit, and to my knowledge he just copy pastad code from 3 apps to make a super app. Of course the original devs are gonna be a bit disappointed. What sense would it make to work on Homebrew just to have someone swoop in and copy your whole code. Then leechers come in and say " this destroys tinfoil" would you be motivated to innovate anymore?
I'm not hyper sensitive about innovation so I doubt I would mind. Can't be mad at someone for having the know how to do something I obviously can't do.

It's so funny to see people get on moral high horses when it comes to innovation and open source code.

If Nintendo wanted to kill the scene all it has to do is copy other people's work, make it better and release it. The whole scene would just implode.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not hyper sensitive about innovation so I doubt I would mind. Can't be mad at someone for having the know how to do something I obviously can't do.

It's so funny to see people get on moral high horses when it comes to innovation and open source code.

If Nintendo wanted to kill the scene all it has to do is copy other people's work, make it better and release it. The whole scene would just implode.
No one claimed a moral high ground. All I said is that they don't feel motivated anymore because some copy pasta dev gets all the credit for other people's innovations

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got the perfect solution. TX should contact @HiD and talk about an integrated file manager!
Yeah go team xecuter but even better> @Adubbz & @HiD working together with team xecuter now that would be cool! fuk tinfoil off give that too XorTroll to make him feel a bit more important because tinfoil has been exhausted anyway and troll’s going to ruin it he will probably get users banned left, right & centre using it, man in the fault! and on to better things, perfect solution all round!

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: peteruk

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This "community" is so damn fragmented. Which is a shame as there's so much potential to be had here. Sadly, the toxicity is rather stagnant this time around and really showcases a lot about some of the trolls here. "Oh noes he did a thing with another thing so his thing is stolen and infringing copyright!" blah blah blah

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
This "community" is so damn fragmented. Which is a shame as there's so much potential to be had here. Sadly, the toxicity is rather stagnant this time around and really showcases a lot about some of the trolls here. "Oh noes he did a thing with another thing so his thing is stolen and infringing copyright!" blah blah blah
The problem is it’s not normally the main developers that cause the “toxicity” it’s other random members that stir up the trouble to be begin with! Mention no names, ie foul mouthed jakkel & blawal they both shit in the same pot so to speak pardon my language.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is it’s not normally the main developers that cause the “toxicity” it’s other random members that stir up the trouble to be begin with! Mention no names, ie foul mouthed jakkel & blawal they both shit in the same pot so to speak pardon my language.
Just note that I started posting after the fact. Like it or not what I said is true. I even posted screens of what adubbs said as to why he's done with tinfoil.

Anyway prove me wrong about what I said

Last edited by jakkal,

ingsoc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't know why folks get so riled up over something as inconsequential as this.

dOPUS did run afoul of trademark issues with a real product, and that owner came here to express his need for dOPUS to change its name.

Regardless and back on point - if you don't want other devs to take your code and do something else with it, either don't release it, or don't release it under a license that permits re-use. It's that simple. And if you're some 3rd party here who didn't write any of the code involved, then your opinion on the matter is pretty much irrelevant.

HiD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,
Yeah I had an issue with the name, but it's not a very big deal. It's always possible to rename it.
I pulled the app because of all the haters yes. I've read many wrong things like I didn't give credit to tinfoil makers (I corrected it for nx-shell), and so on.
The thing is all the people from whom I used some code were credited on the github page, and I kept the same file structure of their projects on purpose for it to be obvious it's comes from them.
I never intended to get any credit for anything, or to play a big role in the scene. Just wanted to make a project for fun, and share it to see if people like it.
I thought the scene was about sharing and learning together.
But it looks like some people crave for attention, and cannot accept other apps doing similar things as theirs. Me? I'm not looking for any attention, and have no intention to get any credit for anything.
Just learning about the switch and its exploits, and having fun doing so.
Cheers

Edit: still cool to hear some nice feedbacks here and there

Last edited by HiD,

deusversus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,
Yeah I had an issue with the name, but it's not a very big deal. It's always possible to rename it.
I pulled the app because of all the haters yes. I've read many wrong things like I didn't give credit to tinfoil makers (I corrected it for nx-shell), and so on.
The thing is all the people from whom I used some code were credited on the github page, and I kept the same file structure of their projects on purpose for it to be obvious it's comes from them.
I never intended to get any credit for anything, or to play a big role in the scene. Just wanted to make a project for fun, and share it to see if people like it.
I thought the scene was about sharing and learning together.
But it looks like some people crave for attention, and cannot accept other apps doing similar things as theirs. Me? I'm not looking for any attention, and have no intention to get any credit for anything.
Just learning about the switch and its exploits, and having fun doing so.
Cheers

Edit: still cool to hear some nice feedbacks here and there

Rename it and re-release it cause needing a bunch of different apps is inconvenient and it's stupid to stick with an inferior solution just cause people want to keep their private little circle-jerk going. Progress always stands on the shoulders of those that came before.

0000ff

Spase Peepole
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rename it and re-release it cause needing a bunch of different apps is inconvenient and it's stupid to stick with an inferior solution just cause people want to keep their private little circle-jerk going. Progress always stands on the shoulders of those that came before.

Agree 100%
The compilation of tools into one awesome tool is something I think a lot of people would appreciate. Most likely it would be far more people than a few sour grapes.

Reactions: Kotomine Kirei

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey now, I look forward to Hyde's original work if he decides to release. Legit competition is good.
Agree 100%
The compilation of tools into one awesome tool is something I think a lot of people would appreciate. Most likely it would be far more people than a few sour grapes.

Until people stop publishing source or writing the apps at all. Then what do you do?

Reactions: HiD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1