Gaming what graphics card to buy

thegame07

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have just got this pc! http://www.pless.co.uk/product.php?productid=1553; I need a graphics card and I don't know what one to get that will make the most out of my money/pc specs. I have £130 to spend and I want the best possible one I can get for that price range, any suggestions? and if you could link to a place to buy it from(in the uk), it would be great, thanks very much.

thegame07

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I mostly play mmorpgs like aion and world of warcraft, I'm also interested in playing call of duty online nothing major really but I want to get the max settings out of these games that my system can handle. thanks
smile.gif

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmmm... what resolution are you playing on? An Ati Radeon 5770 does pretty good on 1680X1050 and under, don't know about higher resolutions.
But that's a bit out of your price range... You could also go for a 5750 which is also pretty good, according to reviews.

Master_B

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was also busy with buying a new graphic card in this price range and this site was a lot of help to me:
Code:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality-update-3/3DMark06-v1.1.0-3DMark-Score,1697.html

For me the best card was:
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB its about 160 dolar.... dont know how many pound that is
huh.gif

If its too cheap you could always look for another card in the list.

NOTE: sometimes they look at two cards with crossfire.... you dont want that because its more expensive.

thegame07

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it says the PSU is "power supply cit 450" on the piece of paper I got.

I noticed the CPU isn't listed aswell Amd Athlon™ II X4 620 processor 2.60 GHz.

thanks guys

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait for the Nvidia 470 cards to come out then decide. You're on AMD so you might be on the AMD/ATi fan band wagon so you can disregard my suggestion if you want unless you want to see if it causes ATi video card prices to budge which I think it will but you'd have to wait at least another 1/2 - 1 year for that to happen at the rate I've seen things go in the past.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
thegame07 said:

I noticed the CPU isn't listed aswell Amd Athlon? II X4 620 processor 2.60 GHz.

thanks guys

what do you mean the cpu isn't listed? you just listed it right there

thegame07

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ZeWarrior said:
thegame07 said:

I noticed the CPU isn't listed aswell Amd Athlon? II X4 620 processor 2.60 GHz.

thanks guys

what do you mean the cpu isn't listed? you just listed it right there

I was talking about on the site they don't have it listed
smile.gif
I phoned them and asked what cpu was in it before I bought it because of that.

also the one Lee linked is what I have
smile.gif
cheers

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wouldn't bet on nvidia's new cards being cheap or low profile. and as rydian said, that powersupply doesn't have a pcie power connector, at least its not listed.

go grab a low profile card like a 4670. or grab a gts250 and grab a 4pin to pci-e cable. any higher and it is pointless cause of the res he's playing at imo.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Amber Lamps said:
Wait for the Nvidia 470 cards to come out then decide. You're on AMD so you might be on the AMD/ATi fan band wagon so you can disregard my suggestion if you want unless you want to see if it causes ATi video card prices to budge which I think it will but you'd have to wait at least another 1/2 - 1 year for that to happen at the rate I've seen things go in the past.

Incase you missed it , Nvidia is going to sell the cheapest version of it prolly still near or above the price of the 5870!!!

There will be no trickle down versions of the card more or less even this year.

The power requirement on these card will be silly compared to what ATI is offering now.

Maybe next year is a good time to look at Nvidia again unless you like old cards with a new name
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    Veho @ Veho: Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.