What graphics card should I get if I want to play WoW?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by naved.islam14, Jul 28, 2012.

1. naved.islam14
    OP

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    I really want to play WoW but I don't have a graphics card, so which graphics card would allow me to play WoW on medium settings? here's my DxDiag:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    A HD 3200 is enough to play WoW, so if you want medium settings, get a HD 3400 or higher. Just about any $50 graphics card (HD 4570 or GT 440) or higher will be enough for your needs. If you intend to play more intensive games in future (e.g. Guild Wars 2), consider getting a better card such as HD 6750 or GTX 650. The more you spend on the graphics, the longer it will be until you need to upgrade again.

3. Anon10W1z

Member Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Even a GT 430 should work, as I can play 300 MPH or other low-end games at 70+FPS.

Not to mention it easily handles full HD video easily.

4. naved.islam14
    OP

Sri Lanka
    Thank you both so much! :) But are those compatible with my computer? Because I have no idea how to know that.

5. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    My integrated graphics can handle it on low so just a simple $50 graphics card should be more than enough and may handle mid-high settings.

6. DragorianSword

Member DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Belgium
    A graphics cart of $50 can handle WoW just fine, but I would consider buying one of around $75-100 to play it on high quality and so you can play other (newer) games too.

7. Originality

United Kingdom
    It's amazing how many people echoed my advice.

To find out if the graphics card is compatible or not, you need to tell us what size case you have (i.e. if it's "slimline" or not) and what power supply you have. I'm sure your motherboard has PCIe 2.0 so no need to worry about that part - just worry about if your PSU is strong enough to support a graphics card upgrade.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    We'd need your motherboard and other parts to determine if it's compatible. I'd say get something in the 6** line, but a $50 one should be grand for it.

9. Originality

United Kingdom
    Is there a Core 2 Duo compatible motherboard that's not compatible with modern graphics cards at all?

10. LockeCole_101629

Member LockeCole_101629 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    starting HD4xxx series & GT4xx series (or any mainstream series which don't require another power connector to make GPU works), get the cheapest like $30-50
    anything beyond that is overkill.

problems mostly not with the motherboard or card, but power supply *if you aiming high end card*
    heck mine is HD4670 it's 4 years old (also GT440. but scrap it, I don't like it)
    play any games without major issues, except issues from the game it self.

11. Daemauroa

Member Daemauroa GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I think a HD5450 / HD6450 should do the trick for you. In my experience you could play WoW at medium settings with a HD5450 and getting around 40 fps in Ogrimmar on a busy day. however that was a year ago and I don't know how much Blizzard has improved their game, but then a hd6450 should be ok.

it is indeed important to check if you PSU can handle the new graphics card. however a HD 5450 / HD6450 doesn't need much power , but you have to be sure your PSU can handle it. what Orginality said about the case size, You have to make sure if you need a Low-profile graphics card or not, because some cards doesn't have a low-profile version. I do think the HD5450/HD6450 does btw.

gloweyjoey likes this.
  12. Daemauroa

Netherlands
    *edit*

I am terribly sorry about the double post. It happened that I was writing in the posting window when I was editing my post and accidently posted an extra post.

13. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    try getting a good used card off ebay.
    i got a GTS 250 for $40 and with a slight overclock i can play skyrim on ultra with 35 to 40FPS and with the frame limiter off on WoW i get around 90 to 120FPS in most dungeons and areas and 50 to 60 FPS in Orgimmar.

14. naved.islam14
    OP

Sri Lanka
    The model of my PC is HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower PC so I guess the size must be minitower. And how do I find the PSU wattage of my computer?

15. Daemauroa

Netherlands
    you can probably see the wattage of your PSU if you open up the case and look at the label on the PSU. I actually don't know a faster/easier way to check it if you don't want to open your case.

16. naved.islam14
    OP

Sri Lanka
    Isn't there any other way at all? Because I really can't open up the case.
    Edit: I just read another post on a forum and it says that the HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower has a 365 watt PSU, would that be enough?
    Edit 2: beaten by -daemauroa

17. mooiweer

Member mooiweer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    yes interesting, just some hot card from latest, cheap around, as retail, mass production thing as you can find at what's fore sale, pretty big list you have on specs.! an idea, was probably like test it, you could buy the 330+ euro card, or you can buy one around 100 euro, plus an matrox graphics card m serie or dual/triple head to refer of what you wanna dig so much going excited what's going on the desktop, more multi,

18. Daemauroa

Netherlands
    he is just searching for some cheap card that can play World of Warcraft...

there may be, but I don't know. because I did it the easy way, and for me the only way. however if your pc is a standard pc that are part of a mass production, you could easily check up the details online.

I found at this document online 2 probabilities which PSU you could have :
    http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01637456&printver=true

365 watt 85% effiency or 365 watt ( can't see what effiency this one is).

I think it is ok to put a hd6450 in this pc, it only requires 50 watt or so, but I am not sure. my pc had a psu with a max wattage of 400 watt, and i replaced it with a 500 watt for my hd6870. but the problem is that I don't know if 365 watt is enough to power the system + the new graphics card. maybe someone else could assure you about this.

19. naved.islam14
    OP

Sri Lanka
    What about a GT430?

20. LockeCole_101629

Member LockeCole_101629 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    just wondering how you going to put the card into your CPU if you can't open it?

that's mini case, HP Built probably no more than 350w PSU

just go with Low profile HD 5650/5670 or this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127611 well somthing low profile like that to make sure it will fit with your case.

if you want technical compare look here: http://www.techpower...e_GT_520/7.html

I'm not going to interfere any further, I already give best advice for you. Good luck.

edit: is this computer from your office? it's quite rare a person buying built in computer for personal use, it's the only thing concern me that you won't or probably prohibited from opening the case.