Hacking What GBA Flashcart would work best for me?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
He has a M3 Real, a 3in1 is not going to help him without some effort in patching crap. He is better off with what I recommended in the first post.

I disagree. I'd rather have a proper GBA flash cart than an expansion pack of any sort if I planned on ever using it in a GBA. The EZ4 is the only thing really available that comes even close. It's also available in GBA sized cases. Also while he said he would mostly be using it in DS he did say he would be using it in a GBA as well. I was fairly certain (but not completely) that the M3 expansion wasn't flashable and thus usable as a standalone cart... That being the main reason I would take the 3-in-1 over the M3 in his case and that the one you linked to looked to be for Lites only.

I just see the priorities in a different order I guess. I see someone looking for a GBA cart that will work in both a DS and GBA as the more important factor rather than getting Emerald to run and w/o GBA Exploder or such (not to suggest that would help in the case of Emerald). The rest of the GBA library would be of far more importance to me rather than just getting any one game running. If Emerald is indeed his priority, then yeah, the M3 all they way, but he still won't be able to use it in his GBA, yes? If Emerald is not the critical factor, I personally would go w/ the EZ4.

D

Deleted User

With EZ 3in1 Expansion pack GBA Size you'll never go wrong. I have the DS Lite version and it works perfectly.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
The M3 GBA expansion pack is slot1 dependant, doesn't run in a GBA. Nobody makes flashcarts for GBA anymore since 2007 with the exception of Elink (they make them for people looking for thier first gba flashcart), nobody makes flashcarts with RTC. Everything else on the market is 4+ years old. Your very likely going to need to replace the battery in anything for GBA the moment you get it.

I said before the M3 perfect lite is not sold anywhere (it is also not supported by M3 anymore since 2009), your not going to find any online shop that sells it.

Pokemon games (GC and DS) access the gba save data directly, it is hard coded on how to access save data on a real gba cart only, flashcarts use different storage for storing saves so the hard coded method of accessing the save is not the same. There are no patches for any GC pokemon game that will allow you to access any flashcart. Your out of luck for that. Same goes for the GC Pokemon collusium.

i thought the m3 gba expansion pak does? or are you just talking about slot 1 independent cards?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The EZ-Flash IV is not a GBA flashcart, it is a slot2 DS flashcart that happens to play GBA games. The last update for this thing was April 2009 and the last GBA update to the thing was back in 2007.

As for those that keep telling him to get a 3in1, you can give him tech support when he gets one to use with his M3 Real. The majority of them don't got a clue beyond telling someone to buy a 3in1 with an AK2i.

@MFDC12
Pure GBA flashcarts are no longer available anyways, I don't really care what they think is the best. The M3 GEP uses a 32MB SDRAM module for play games on, saves are on a secondary 2MB SRAM module, just like the supercard slot2 miniSD.

NiGHtsBeta09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hai, I think I'm starting to understand more... Though I'm a bit bummed about the whole GameCube thing ^^" Btw, Emerald was a priority, but definitely not my #1 use for something like this.

Oh, and it's possible to use a Link Cable with an EZ or any of these, right? I was thinking I could just trade my Pokemon to my girlfriend's game, then trade them into Colosseum or XD from there~ Seems like it would work, at least..

@how_do_i_do_that
I have read from different people, as well as the sites that sell it, that the EZFlash 3-in-1 works as a GBA standalone on the NDS, DSL, GBA, and GBA SP. I'm just going by what I hear, and what you all tell me ^^;;

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The 3in1 works as a standalone, but there is a catch. And it is the catch what that newbies don't know about. If you want to get the 3in1, they can give you help.

Signs that you are talking to someone that knows sqat:
1. tells you to get another slot1 to use, especially if your slot1 is not a clone; just to use a 3in1.
2. Fist post they post about you not being able to run the 3in1 to you is about the 3in1 being defective or broken.
3. Can't tell you the correct things to use with a 3in1 other than use AKAIO or a CycloDS.

Its all about learning, and your gonna get a crash course real soon. so pick something to get.

NiGHtsBeta09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the catch about it?

I'm ended up getting both the one you recommended and the one they did, since my dad gave me enough for both. I figure I can find a use for both..

I really hope I can get some more help from you and the others, since you seem like you know what you're talking about here ^^"

Sorry for being a noob with all this....

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
ITT: how_do_i_do_that acts like a shithead every other post

EZ 4in1 is a fine combo with a slot1 cart that can load to it's NOR (ie. AKAIO). You'll have to wait for NOR to erase and rewrite when you want to play a different gba game, but if loading the same game it will launch immediately since it's already stored.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
The EZ-Flash IV is not a GBA flashcart, it is a slot2 DS flashcart that happens to play GBA games. The last update for this thing was April 2009 and the last GBA update to the thing was back in 2007.

I am well aware of what an EZ4 is, and that's why there's the disclaimer "The EZ4 is the only thing really available that comes even close." Yes, it was designed as a slot 2 DS cart, but it is a perfectly acceptable GBA cart as well, especially considering what is left that one can actually buy. It's not as good as the proper GBA carts from the time and stripped of features like RTC and RTS, you're correct, but you can still get one and it's not as bad of an option as you make it sound. Back when it was my DS flash cart, the only time I ever removed it from my DS for my proper GBA flash carts was to utilize the RTS.

At this point it's actually a better GBA cart than it is a DS cart BECAUSE of the lack of updates. GBA games tend to require less specific patching and the generic tools will do the trick 90% of the time. I've never had a GBA game I couldn't get to run on it just using the EZ4 client, barring of course games that need extra hardware patched out of them (when available)... Not to suggest I've tested every GBA ROM there is on it mind.

The M3 expansion will only be the best option if he only ever uses it in his DS as it will not be an option in his GBA. At least w/ a 3-in-1 he will be able to use it in his GBA, even if it is a pain in the ass.

It's all about priorities, and I wasn't trying to set them for him, just saying what I would do. I'd get as close to a proper GBA cart as I could. Of the choices one has out of the meager pickings available for stand alone GBA, I can't see how the EZ4 isn't the best option.

NiGHtsBeta09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KidIce said:
how_do_i_do_that said:

I am well aware of what an EZ4 is, and that's why there's the disclaimer "The EZ4 is the only thing really available that comes even close." Yes, it was designed as a slot 2 DS cart, but it is a perfectly acceptable GBA cart as well, especially considering what is left that one can actually buy. It's not as good as the proper GBA carts from the time and stripped of features like RTC and RTS, you're correct, but you can still get one and it's not as bad of an option as you make it sound. Back when it was my DS flash cart, the only time I ever removed it from my DS for my proper GBA flash carts was to utilize the RTS.

At this point it's actually a better GBA cart than it is a DS cart BECAUSE of the lack of updates. GBA games tend to require less specific patching and the generic tools will do the trick 90% of the time. I've never had a GBA game I couldn't get to run on it just using the EZ4 client, barring of course games that need extra hardware patched out of them (when available)... Not to suggest I've tested every GBA ROM there is on it mind.

The M3 expansion will only be the best option if he only ever uses it in his DS as it will not be an option in his GBA. At least w/ a 3-in-1 he will be able to use it in his GBA, even if it is a pain in the ass.

It's all about priorities, and I wasn't trying to set them for him, just saying what I would do. I'd get as close to a proper GBA cart as I could. Of the choices one has out of the meager pickings available for stand alone GBA, I can't see how the EZ4 isn't the best option.

Thank you, KidIce ^^" You helped with some questions I had too, and reassured me with the EZ4, with my priorities. My main purpose was to play a Pokemon game and get those Pokemon onto my GameCube games, which I can easily do if I trade them to my girlfriend's original cart, I presume.

Thanks for all the help! Even with the debates, it's answering some things ^^"

Dr.Aqua

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ughh
Buy an EZ flash 3in1 GBA size
Flash your save and rom to it using gba backup tool
plug it in to your GBA and connect to Gamecube
problem solved

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: As long as you're not going hungry, it's nice to share things with your friends +1