Hardware What GBA cart to go with an R4?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The EZ-Flash 4, the EZ-Flash 3-in-1, the EZ-Flash 3, the M3 Perfect, The G6 Lite, the eWin GBA expansion, and several of the old style GBA flashcarts (including the EFA linker) are all good choices depending on what you want to do with them.

The 3-in-1 is the only cart that can migrate pokeymans to the R4 though.

GGC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The eWin GBA expansion pack patches GBA games automatially, it loads them faster, and it can run 32 megabyte games from RAM (the 3-in-1 only has 16 MB of RAM, so 32 MB games have to be flashed to NOR), but it doesn't have the same high compatibility with GBA games.
Wow, you lost me there!!
huh.gif

GBA games need to be patched? what's the NOR?
Do you have to do all of this on an M3 Simply Perfect? (I looked at the price and it's much more expensive than the 3-in-1 thingy, I don't know if that's worth the extra cost)
Sorry about the n00b questions!

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The M3 Simply and the M3 Perfect are two different carts (actually, the Perfect is a whole range of slot 2 carts).

GBA games use SRAM, Flash memory, or EEPROM to store their save data. Games that use Flash or EEPROM saves need to be patched to save on the 3-in-1, because the 3-in-1 only has SRAM for storing save data. You SRAM patch the games with GBATA.

The eWin GBA expansion also only has SRAM for saves, but its software patches the GBA roms automatically so you don't have to deal with it.

NOR is a type of flash memory that takes a long time to write, but can be read quickly like the ROM in retail GBA carts. The 3-in-1 has 16 MB of RAM and 32 MB of NOR. GBA games up to 16 MB can be run either from RAM or NOR, but 32 MB games can only be run from NOR. There are no GBA games bigger than 32 MB.

I don't think I'm explaining this very well right now (frankly, I'm drunk), but it isn't that complicated once you have the cart and try it for yourself.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

GGC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA games use SRAM, Flash memory, or EEPROM to store their save data. Games that use Flash or EEPROM saves need to be patched to save on the 3-in-1, because the 3-in-1 only has SRAM for storing save data. You SRAM patch the games with GBATA.

The eWin GBA expansion also only has SRAM for saves, but its software patches the GBA roms automatically so you don't have to deal with it.
So, hmm, I'm not sure I got everything right from your post but here's a simpler question: is there an R4 equivalent for GBA games on the DS? (without any patching involved, just drag & drop if possible)
Thanks again!

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I ordered one from TotalGBA.

It should arrive significantly earlier so the slightly higher price is worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk