What games show off the full potential of the Gamepad ? or could show off ...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by osirisjem, Feb 5, 2014.

1. osirisjem
    OP

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    People say the Wii U will do well ... "as soon as Nintendo releases the full potential of the Gamepad".
    I can't see that happening.
    While on that topic .. What game(s) do a good job of the Game pad thus far ?

2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Well I think the thing with the GamePad is that it doesn't make for a crucial mechanic like motion controls did, it just fits as a small little side feature.

Like I guess having your inventory at your fingertips is neat but it's not a core game mechanic, it's a nice thing to have but not entirely necessary.

The GamePad itself is poorly designed. If they made a controller with a smartphone-sized touch screen (I'm even looking at the Vita as a good example), I think it'd be much more reasonable. But as it is, it's cumbersome and clunky.

I don't see it getting a game that really makes you think it's worth it like the Wii Motion Plus did (I would say the standard Wii but there's no good motion controls on the standard Wii). By the way it's not Skyward Sword, it's Red Steel 2.

Jiehfeng, gamefan5, jdennis27 and 2 others like this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    @Guild, what about Watch_Dogs? While I agree with the whole "It's pretty useless" thing, it's at least got Watch_Dogs going on for it...But yeah, other than that it's pretty much meh.

Jiehfeng and filfat like this.
  4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Zombiu
    nintendoland
    Batman: Arkham city and Assassin's creed 3 (map and inventory not cluttering up the main screen)
    wii fit u (mostly for the camera, but the diving game uses it pretty good)

...that's of the ones I've played.

5. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    But outside of Gimmicky features and offscreen play what other purpose does it really have? The only reason watchdogs really applies to making use of it is because the main guy actually uses the tablet to do hacky things. Same thing with batman and Zombi-U. Outside of those games, how else is the Wii U going to function? Do you expect every single game now to have some strange tablet side thing that forces the character to hack something? Is that basically what the Wii U tablet is? The simplistic Hack machine?

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  6. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    I'd say Nintendoland. It's a fantastic game and shows a lot of innovation in current consoles. It may not be the best game in the world, but it's a fantastic party game and has quite a lot of replay value.

Why would that be? Touch pads in smartphones and tablets have taken a long time to develop good usage. There are innovations happening yearly that completely change the way you think about a device. Don't count anything out yet if it has some kind of support (and in this case, Nintendo's first party support can make miracles happen for almost dead platforms).

RodrigoDavy and filfat like this.
  7. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Best example of the full potential is probably Zombi U. Ones that could I would probably guess at being the likes of Grand Theft Auto 5 or Minecraft, just because the touchpad could make certain things easier and be used for nonsense bits like maps, functions etc but would hardly be essential

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  8. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Killer app 2013. All that sweet bottle action without the hassle of owning an actual bottle.

9. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    of the games, that I own, I think zombiU and lego city undercover made good use of the gamepad
    and even if a game doesnt include the gamepad as feature, I always like the possibilty of playing completely on the gamepad, without tv, I just like playing in my warm bed :-)

10. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    Batman Arkham City
    Lego City
    Skylanders
    Off Screen Play

Admittedly though, it is woefully underused and doesn't serve any point in most games. Off Screen play is always nice though.

11. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    there's really only one so far and thats nintendo land. it uses all aspects of the pad no other game really does.

12. osirisjem
    OP

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    So what is so good ? The Bug Out Bag ? Anything else ?

As hinted in yesterday's reveal, Ubisoft unveils ZombiU, the Wii U Gamepad will function as an interactive “Bug Out Bag”, allowing players to swap items on the fly and make short work of their undead pursuers. More than that, however, it will also double as a hacking tool, zombie-basher, environment scanner, sniper scope, and security camera hub. For added kicks, Ubisoft's even thrown in a “zombifcation” feature that uses the controller's camera to morph real people into hideous, bloodthirsty monsters. That's assuming they weren't already hideous, bloodthirsty monsters; in which case you should choose your company more wisely.​

Maxternal likes this.
  13. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    We have yet to see really, I'm assuming Zelda Wii U is going to do something great with the gamepad just as SS did with Wii Motion Plus.
    Mario Kart would probably be fantastic with the gamepad, I've always liked the console versions of Mario Kart more than the portable, but the portable ones having 2 screens to show extra stuff is so good, Mario Kart 8 will be Mario Kart perfection.

14. Clarky

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    It can get used as a radio but when you turn off the audio on the gamepad it plays back via the tv anyway. During the game though the gamepad gets used as a radar which at the start you have to ping yourself and get used to open locks

15. Scott-105

Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Aug 23, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    There aren't really any games that make a good use of it unfortunately. I mean, there's a couple neat features with it, but there isn't any necessity to it for any game out currently.

16. osirisjem
    OP

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    I don't see how Mario Kart will work well the Gamepad.

Do you mean using the GamePad as a second screen, or on the Gamepad only ?

Mario Kart seems like a good example of a game that doesn't work with the Gamepad as a second screen. Why ? Because you can't take your eyes of the main screen for even the blink of a second !

17. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Mario Kart uses the gamepad as a horn.

#gamechanger

T Link7, jdennis27 and osirisjem like this.
  18. Clarky

Oct 4, 2007
    United States

it could be used as a rear view mirror......

RodrigoDavy, filfat, T Link7 and 2 others like this.
  19. rdurbin

rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2006
    United States
    US
    zombi u and nintendo lands probably make the best use of it. The sonic racing game allows a person to play on gamepad, and if you have 4 wii remotes, those 4 can play on quad split screen, while you get your own screen, for a total of 5 players Im sure watch_dogs will make good use of it. I really like it for off screen gameplay. I usually put netflix on my tv while i play a game on wii u (works great for virtual console and retro nes collection game)

Rob Blou likes this.
  20. osirisjem
    OP

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    Cool idea.

I still probably can't take my eyes off main screen.
    My son probably could.
    If I did, I'd crash.

If you used it as a rear view mirror .... where / how are you going to prop it up ? On a music stand ?
    On my lap ... I'd neck neck pain looking down on it.
    Beside the TV ... it'd be too small.
    Get a friend to hold it up ?