Hacking What games do I actually need Luma's region/language emulation for?

theplasmastorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a bit confused. The general idea for this (as far as I know) is to run out of region DLC and games on my EUR console.

However, I currently am playing dlc of games that are from the US region (eg Smash), and they didn't require me to emulate anything.

The only game that I know of that does require this is Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

How do I know if another game I have requires patching of this kind, other than to just test them all?

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
On my JPN O3DS, I use language emulation to change:
  • PokéToru (Pokémon Shuffle)
  • Pokémon Picross
  • Everyone's Pokémon Scramble (Pokémon Rumble World)
to change their language to English instead of Japanese.

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure why some DLCs will need it and others won't I know US Fates works fine on my EU console, its safe to assume anything JPN though won't work, though it is possible to modify DLC to work on different regions without emulation with some hex editing/cia rebuilding.

Don't think there is really a way to know if a game needs it until you test, most cases I haven't.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fan translation of Beyond the Labyrinth requires this, or the character names are shown as blanks.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a bit confused. The general idea for this (as far as I know) is to run out of region DLC and games on my EUR console.

However, I currently am playing dlc of games that are from the US region (eg Smash), and they didn't require me to emulate anything.

The only game that I know of that does require this is Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

How do I know if another game I have requires patching of this kind, other than to just test them all?

Afaik the language emulation thing is to change the display language of games that otherwise would display in the language of the originating region. Since you are using a EUR console with USA games/dlc, you probably wont run into an issue where this is needed. It would be more for trying to run a JPN version of a game (like Pokemon Shuffle example earlier), where the game would display in Japanese instead of English. To my knowledge the only thing you can do is run the game/dlc and if it has issues with its display language, try using the emulation patch.

Regarding playing DLC with out of region games, as far as I know even Luma doesn't allow you to mix/match DLC and Game regions. All DLC and Patch data for a given game MUST match the region of the game. So if you installed a USA version of a game, you will need to install the USA versions of any patches and DLC for them to be recognized.

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Zelda Majora's mask US needs to be set to US on a JP 3DS or it will crash

And title region emulation doesn't always work, Zelda triforce heros US internet play doesn't work on a JP 3DS

Both tested on retail cart, not pirate CIA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands