Hardware What games can this laptop play?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend's laptop and he wants to know what kind of games can run on his laptop he is more of a casual gamer by that I mean he likes short indie games and some older games, namely knight of the old republic and half life and baldurs gate he doesn't want to max anything just wants to know if he can run them at playable speed

here are the specs:

CPU: AMD E 450 apu 1.6ghz
RAM: 2gb
Radeon HD 6320

His other laptop is a old pentium dual core t-something which couldn't handle morrowind on medium.

Fabax01

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Has a better gpu than mine :rofl:
It should be able to play the games you mentioned... just put a light OS like XP on it, if it's possible.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been upgrade to windows 10 is that bad for his laptop?
Or look at lightweight Linux distributions like Puppy or Lubuntu and run games that are native or try to use WINE

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes... windows 10 its a memory hogger in long terms, downgrade it to XP.
Issue with XP is that with no security patches anymore there is a bit of a security risk.

Fabax01

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My phone's graphics are better than yours :rofl2:

It's been upgrade to windows 10 is that bad for his laptop?

Well, i have a s***ty laptop with a Geforce 9200 GS clocked... With win10 youtube lags for me.
I think that win10 is a little heavy for a 1.60GHz apu.

I have an idea: you could dualboot a Linux distro and an offline XP for max security/compatibility instead of using Wine.

Edit:added GHz.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it matters since with cpecs this weak he probably won't be multitasking
It does matter, not neccesaryly multitasking, windows 10 can suck the machine resources beeing IDLE.
Or look at lightweight Linux distributions like Puppy or Lubuntu and run games that are native or try to use WINE
Using Wine on a low end machine, its worst, you are just using the same process but under layers or virtualization, which lower even further the performance.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
No the APU should work just fine with Win10, believe me.
Just don't expect it to work wonders.

How I can say?
I have a very very old rig at home with an Athlon 3000+, 1GB RAM and integrated Nvidia graphics from back in the day when Nvidia chipsets were a thing.
It runs Win8.1 32bit fluently.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it does not, an even worst being an E series, if you want speed go to XP or to 7. dont jump to 8 or higher. i dont see any advantages on installing a Linux distribution if he wants to play game, that makes 0 sense, it sounds even dumber to tell him to use wine with that resources he got.

E Series from AMD are the worst of the worst, i got an AMD A10, my GF and AMD A8, and somewhere around my house i got an A6, which all of them are apus, A10 being the highest one, again... go with XP or 7, in your case, preferably XP.

Fabax01

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

How I can say?
I have a very very old rig at home with an Athlon 3000+, 1GB RAM and integrated Nvidia graphics from back in the day when Nvidia chipsets were a thing.
It runs Win8.1 32bit fluently.

I said that because my lap', with a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.40GHz lags a lot since the upgrade, so i thought lesser GHz=even worse performance!
It was perfect with Win8.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it does not, an even worst being an E series, if you want speed go to XP or to 7. dont jump to 8 or higher. i dont see any advantages on installing a Linux distribution if he wants to play game, that makes 0 sense, it sounds even dumber to tell him to use wine with that resources he got.

E Series from AMD are the worst of the worst, i got an AMD A10, my GF and AMD A8, and somewhere around my house i got an A6, which all of them are apus, A10 being the highest one, again... go with XP or 7, in your case, preferably XP.

I was suggesting something like Lubuntu as it is
1. Security updates compared tot XP or 7 which don't have the updates since MS is focusing on 10
2. It is focusing on being lightweight unlike Windows
3. There is no reason why wine is slower then windows since it is not an emulator but basically just translates system calls. Plus WINE runs many games at equal or even greater performance.

It really makes little sense to use an outdated version of windows with security issues when you could use a lightweight system that actually has updates coming in.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Fabax01

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, it does not, an even worst being an E series, if you want speed go to XP or to 7. dont jump to 8 or higher. i dont see any advantages on installing a Linux distribution if he wants to play game, that makes 0 sense, it sounds even dumber to tell him to use wine
Linux for browsing, XP for gaming. I stand for dualboot, or it could cause problems?

Ever tried resetting it?
Err. Here's the list of the upgrades. 7 > 8 > WIN10 TP > WIN 10 x86 | format | Win 7 x64 > Win 10 x64 | format| Win10 x86 with insider |format| Win10 x64 with insider |format| Win10 x64 without insider (up to this day)
Waiting for the anniversary update... :)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen to @ScarletDreamz She knows, I know. Don't use any power hungry os without the FOOD TO FEED IT! You should stick to mearly pixel games like shovel knight and stuff even FFVII should be able to run... Just check your steam game for the system requirements silly :)

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen to @ScarletDreamz She knows, I know. Don't use any power hungry os without the FOOD TO FEED IT! You should stick to mearly pixel games like shovel knight and stuff even FFVII should be able to run... Just check your steam game for the system requirements silly :)

Yeah um we have no clue what amd e450 is equivalent to in terms of gaming related stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s