What flashcart out there can read R4 saves+has SDHC

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by seehung, Jul 8, 2010.

1. seehung
    OP

Newcomer seehung Newbie

Canada
    So my R4 Revolution isn't doing so well after I forgot it in the car in about 32°C weather. Go figure. It wasn't working too well before anyway (I washed it in the machine) so I guess this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have a LOT of games on that 8GB MicroSD SDHC (which still works) so I don't really want to spend hours converting saves and renaming them 1 by 1. Also, it was very difficult to get cheats onto the card, and I'd like to be able to just plop them on and have them work. I don't really need any special features like RTS or slow-down. Finally, GBA support (whether it be from slot 2 or slot 1) would be nice as well.

The price is not important. I would much rather get a flashcart that satisfies my needs then get one that won't work/will stop receiving updates.

I have read the info in the information section, however they do not talk about SDHC compatibility and saves. Also, most of them are similar in all areas except for price. This is slightly confusing as I doubt an extra feature could add ~$20-$30 to the price tag.

Thank you in advance for helping me on this decision.

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Which R4 clone was it?

3. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Cheap and allows slot 2 loading: Acekard 2.1/2i
    For slot 1 gba games: Supercard DS Two

Actually pretty much any cart will work. The .sav format for the R4 is pretty much a standard for most carts. Avoid R4 clones though.

4. seehung
    OP

Newcomer seehung Newbie

Canada
    R4 Revolution (That's what it saids on teh card). "R4 Revolution for DS".

5. Krestent

United States
    IT's impossible that you have an original R4 because you're using a SDHC card.

6. seehung
    OP

Newcomer seehung Newbie

Canada
    EDIT: I did not read. Srreh.

7. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Without a slot 2 device only the Supercard DS Two can and that uses a gba emulator. If you have a slot 2 both can. (might require gbaexploader for scds2)

8. seehung
    OP

Newcomer seehung Newbie

Canada
    Well, the card looks like this:

[R4 SDHC ]

Revolution for DS
    (NDSL/NDS)
    [ ]

9. Krestent

United States
    I'd say get the Acekard 2i or the Supercard DSTWO if you want GBA compatibility.

10. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Hmm, I have an idea.
    I can't tell you what format your R4 SDHC saves as, but what I do know if you can find out which it is by converting it.

http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php

Here, convert your gamesave into a no$gba save, and test it by installing it into no$gba's battery folder, and testing the rom.
    If the Gamesave successfully loads, then the source-save type was correct.

If you're looking for a simple flashcart to buy, I'd suggest the Acekard 2i or the Supercard DStwo.
    They should both perform very well for your needs and get frequent updates, and support SDHC like you want.
    The Acekard 2i will be about $20 cheaper, but then the DStwo has some VERY nice features like GBA emulation and many real-time functions.
    Shoptemp is a good place to buy either of these.

11. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I know for a fact that the CycloDS uses the exact same save files as the R4. I went from an original R4 to the CycloDS. And yes, CycloDS supports SDHC.

Thing is though, a CycloDS doesn't work on a DSi, so if you have one of those, the CycloDS is useless. This makes it a difficult for me to really recommend one since it's not really future proof....not to mention the high price.

But technically, it meets the requirements in the thread title.

I'm not really familiar with other slot1 carts to make any other recommendations.

12. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It's either going to be the Acekard 2i or the DSTWO.

What's good about the Acekard, AKAIO is able to update it's cheat database from GBAtemp over WiFi. So no messing around, and it will update from TempDB too. If you view my Acekard Guide, you'll see it's very easy to do. As has been said, you will require a slot 2 expansion such as the 3in1 for GBA support.

The DSTWO is a good cart and has a lot of emulation potential. In addition to GBA emulation, a SNES emulator and DIVX player are in the works. The DSTWO has a built in additional processor which enables it to do this whihc is the reason it's more expensive, although when used it will increase the power consumption. Once the SDK is released, there should be more emulators which will make use of the additional processor.

On the counter The 3in1 should be better for GBA gaming as it isn't emulating like the DSTWO is. From what I gather, there is a small amount of frame skipping on some games, and also some button lag on some games; both issues may be fixed in a later software release. The GBA emulation on the DSTWO also eats battery life.

Your saves will be fine with either card. If the file extensions for you saves is an uppercase SAV, you may need to rename them to lower case, I have a tool which will do it for youhttp://filetrip.net/f11163-AKAIO-Wood-R4-S...anager-1-3.html. You will be able to use your existing MicroSDHC with either as both are SDHC compatible, however it's recommended you use clean ROMS for both carts. A lot of R4 users seem to 'patch' their ROMs to get them to work.

13. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    As a matter of fact, Acekard, CycloDS, Edge, R4DS, and Toptoy DS, all use the same save format. (According to Shunyweb.info)
    If the R4SDHC is based off of the original R4, the acekard, or the TTDS like many R4 clones are, then the save type is probably just that.

14. seehung
    OP

Newcomer seehung Newbie

Canada
    Ah k, the saves work fine. Also I have a DS Lite. Should've included that in the first post rofl. Anyway, I think I might just go for the Supercard DSTWO. The GBA Emulator is worth the money for me...as long as I find an easy to use guide for it. Anyway, thank you for all your help, and when I recieve the card from ShopTemp (How long does it take to ship to Canada anyway?) I will see if it works for me.

15. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    On average It should normally take 2 weeks, but can sometimes take longer and sometimes quicker, it all depends on the HK post office.

They have a page on it http://shoptemp.com/pages/Shipping-Methods.html

Make sure you select the registered shipping as a minimum, as it gives you piece of mind.

If you're without a cart and need one in a hurry, you could always try Kickassgaming or 5thDimensionStore.

16. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    If you're using a DS Lite, you might want to consider an Acekard 2i + EZ Flash 3in1 instead of the DSTWo.
    It will cost the exact same price, but GBA support on the 3in1 is perfect, whilst the DStwo's GBA emulator is not quite perfect.
    All up to you. [​IMG]

17. xDarkAngelx

Newcomer xDarkAngelx Advanced Member

United States
    Just thought I'd stop by to say it's KickGaming, not KickAssGaming. Both 5thDimensionStore and KickGaming ship from Canada.