What firmware is sold in stores at this time? Are some systems coming with 3.61

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by dyerseve, Oct 14, 2016.

1. dyerseve
    OP

dyerseve Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2013
    United States
    I've spent several hours researching (and downloading) and I'm finding most people recommend buying a new vita to get a sub-3.61 firmware, but no one is saying what firmware the new systems are coming with. It seems for vita homebrew and backup loading 3.60 is the best bet, but for psp games you need earlier firmware <3.52
    So what's being sold in stores, I'm eyeing the borderlands 2 bundle at the moment...

2. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    So this is a bit off topic, but... I went to walmart, bestbuy, Thesource, circuit city in Canada today and they had NOTHING vita related -- at all.

The EBgames has vita games, but no memory cards or systems for sale.

I don't think any new Vita SKUs are (or will ever) come out. The firmware they come with is definitely way under 3.60 -- probably 3.30 or so on the latest SKU but I'm not entirely certain.

3. IpsoFact0

IpsoFact0 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2015
    Canada
    The Six
    Vita consoles are not being made anymore..so everything is under 3.60 if new. 3.20 is gonna be hard to find and not likely. PSTV tho all come with 3.20 firmware. 3.60 will have PSP and PS1 integration eventually. 3.60 is the new golden firmware.

Last edited by IpsoFact0, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    That was an unconfirmed rumor, they are still making systems.

5. dyerseve
    OP

dyerseve Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2013
    United States
    It's a bit sad that PS Vita isn't being manufactured anymore, the scene is very recently better, but still what I would consider light years behind the 3DS scene and the 3DS is still chugging along. Guess I'll grab a vita and then go to 3.60 directly, there aren't many PSP games I'd be interested in anyway so I can be patient for that function.

Straying off original topic, but is the RetroArch PS1 not very usable in it's current state?

6. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada

Retroarch pcsx is very good. in some ways surpassing psp ps1 compatibility. The framerate is generally 60fps but it can lag and drop during disc access causing sound lag which is annoying.

7. Michael_92

Michael_92 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2016
    United States
    It's not bad but it needs work. It has this weird sound issue every now and then.

That said, I can rip all my disks and have them on my Vita. You can't beat it. You simply can't.

8. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    you can always go on ebay and search for 3.60 ps vita and get a used one in great condition for a decent price.

9. the_miah

the_miah Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States

Vitas not being sold locally isn't the same as not being manufactured anymore. It's a valid question as to what firmware the new colors will ship with if someone decides to import one.

10. dyerseve
    OP

dyerseve Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2013
    United States
    @the_miah, thanks for that info, I was a bit worried that the vita wasn't going to continue having new games come out, nothing kills a scene faster than no further hardware or games being released. I'd be willing to bet the new products have 3.61 out of the box especially because of the recent HENkaku developments.

As it turned out @Fugelmir was right, no stock anywhere locally. However amazon is shipping me a unit and a 64GB memory card same day, no wonder brick and mortar stores are dying.

11. shadowcopalypse

shadowcopalypse Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2015
    Canada
    I got a vita at EbGames in Canada roughly 6 months ago. It shipped with firmware 2.4x something.

They had no refurbished vita's according to the clerk but had recycled memcards and new Systems.

Plus ++
    Due to the vita being cracked there's probably going to be a higher demand for more titles.

Last edited by shadowcopalypse, Oct 16, 2016
  12. dyerseve
    OP

dyerseve Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2013
    United States
    in case anyone is curious got a non-bundle ps vita on amazon same day delivery and it was on version 3.50, updated to 3.60 and now I'm trying to sort out the maidump and vitamin dump mess.

13. Blue24

Blue24 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2016
    United States
    Unless the vita is used and someone updated it. No way they come close to 3.60