Hacking What firmware did the red/black console come with?

fantoboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see I can get the red/black on Amazon. Aren't they discontinued? Is there a good chance I'll get an old firmware that is compatible with the Gateway?

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they're discontinued, that's news to me. There were a couple sitting on the shelf next to the blue/black one I bought a few days ago.

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, wait, did you mean the original 3DS? I was thinking you meant the red/black XL, which is still listed on Nintendo's site.

Yeah, in that case, if you can find a NIB red/black original it should have 4.5 or lower if it was discontinued in 2012.

fantoboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the regular
Looks like it was discontinued around Oct-Nov 2012. When was the first non-desirable firmware available?

sanin6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought my Flame Red 3ds at Fred meyer near me almost a month and my Fw is on 2.1.0 and still is.
Lol if you find one at a store you can always buy it and check the fw
if its not the right one return it. ;D

fantoboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know when the Super Mario 3D Land bundled system was discontinued? Can I assume that was before 2013 as well?

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, 5.1 wasn't until March or April. I bought an XL Red with (C) 2012 on the box, got 4.4, and used New Leaf to update to 4.5

And you are correct, red and black classics have been discontinued. Gamestop doesn't have any new ones at all left. Best buy had some with 3d Land preinstalled until very recently still sitting though from their holiday bundles.

Reactions: fantoboy

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can find a Mario Kart XL bundle those were stopped at the end of 2012 as well.....mine came with something 4.x and I bought is in April.....Sadly I had to update it to do the transfer from my original 3DS....which I then traded...but then I found a guy on Craigs List with a NIB launch fricking black 3DS that sold it to me for $100....it had v1.0 I have a lot of games so I used Luigi DM to update it to 4.5. Now I am keeping that XL on 5.1 with the hope that gateway gets 5.x and 6.x working but I have my doubts so I am happy I got a deal on the cosmo unit. Also even though 5.x appeared in March/April I don't think Nintendo started shipping it on units until closer to June....the first known units to show up with 5.1 in the USA where the AC bundles and even the recently released black XL is shipping with 5.1 and not 6.x.

Reactions: fantoboy

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can find a Mario Kart XL bundle those were stopped at the end of 2012 as well.....mine came with something 4.x and I bought is in April.....Sadly I had to update it to do the transfer from my original 3DS....which I then traded...but then I found a guy on Craigs List with a NIB launch fricking black 3DS that sold it to me for $100....it had v1.0 I have a lot of games so I used Luigi DM to update it to 4.5. Now I am keeping that XL on 5.1 with the hope that gateway gets 5.x and 6.x working but I have my doubts so I am happy I got a deal on the cosmo unit. Also even though 5.x appeared in March/April I don't think Nintendo started shipping it on units until closer to June....the first known units to show up with 5.1 in the USA where the AC bundles and even the recently released black XL is shipping with 5.1 and not 6.x.

And we haven't had 5.1 update on a game until Dream Team.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And we haven't had 5.1 update on a game until Dream Team.

Correct.....people don't seem to get when you are dealing with hardware manufacturing their are lead times plus the time it takes things to work thru the retail inventory chain....I would say if you want a 4.5 3DS or XL get out there and find one now and buy it from somewere like Miejers or someone that doesn't move a lot of stock like gamestop or bestbuy and has a liberal return policy....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls