Hardware What exactly is the purpose of Nintendo selling the Dock separately?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 1,521
  • Replies 6
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
That's just a piece of plastic that connect the Switch to the TV so those who have the NS on its own probably prefer its portability than buying a second Dock. Just seems strange they'd do this.

It would be a good idea if Nintendo sold the Switch separately but that won't happen. The Dock's retail UK price is £149.99 so taking that into account, the Switch could end up being sold for only £130 without the Dock but again, not happening in the slighest and that's because they have it advertised as a home console which very much is.

On a hypothesis, they could have "Portable Edition" with the Switch + Joy-Cons while also having the normal "Console Edition" with the Switch + Joy-Cons and the Dock.

Anywho, still haven't connected my Switch to the internet 'cause of Zelda taking all the gametime. :)

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People might have multiple televisions at home,so you see how that works right?
I have three and that is probably on the low end for a family of 4. Many have smaller ones in the kitchen or even the garage. My inlaws have one in nearly every room in the house except the bathrooms.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I have three and that is probably on the low end for a family of 4. Many have smaller ones in the kitchen or even the garage. My inlaws have one in nearly every room in the house except the bathrooms.
...amazing.
On a second thought, the dock's pretty pricey. And I don't see aftermarket docks coming out anytime soon, if ever. It has its own brain, something I did not know 5 minutes in the past. http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2825-nintendo-switch-dock-joycon-teardown

Last edited by raystriker,

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know those price convertions.
But in the US its $299 for the system (includes everything.)
Dock is $89 with charger and hdmi cable.
So thats $210 for joycons and switch which could be broken down to $130 for just the switch.

But thats not going to happen. They make money off of the pack in and side buys.
Meaning it might only cost them $50 to make a pair of joycons which sell for $80

but back to the extra dock thing. Its for lazy people who want to plug it up to different tvs without unhookin and replugging cables

Same thing you gotta do if you own any system. An hdmi cable and power cord. So i dont see the need for an extra one but some do

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs