What exactly is the purpose of Nintendo selling the Dock separately?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    That's just a piece of plastic that connect the Switch to the TV so those who have the NS on its own probably prefer its portability than buying a second Dock. Just seems strange they'd do this.

It would be a good idea if Nintendo sold the Switch separately but that won't happen. The Dock's retail UK price is £149.99 so taking that into account, the Switch could end up being sold for only £130 without the Dock but again, not happening in the slighest and that's because they have it advertised as a home console which very much is.

On a hypothesis, they could have "Portable Edition" with the Switch + Joy-Cons while also having the normal "Console Edition" with the Switch + Joy-Cons and the Dock.

Anywho, still haven't connected my Switch to the internet 'cause of Zelda taking all the gametime. :)

2. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    People might have multiple televisions at home, so you see how that works right?

Last edited by raystriker, Mar 9, 2017
  3. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Multiple teles.
    Multiple switch consoles
    If it breaks

Tomy Sakazaki likes this.
  4. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I have three and that is probably on the low end for a family of 4. Many have smaller ones in the kitchen or even the garage. My inlaws have one in nearly every room in the house except the bathrooms.

5. raystriker

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    ...amazing.
    On a second thought, the dock's pretty pricey. And I don't see aftermarket docks coming out anytime soon, if ever. It has its own brain, something I did not know 5 minutes in the past. http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2825-nintendo-switch-dock-joycon-teardown

Last edited by raystriker, Mar 7, 2017
  6. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    It is not really so much a dock as a rather large DRM Dongle that just happens to scratch up screens.

osirisjem and TheCyberQuake like this.
  7. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    I dont know those price convertions.
    But in the US its $299 for the system (includes everything.)
    Dock is $89 with charger and hdmi cable.
    So thats $210 for joycons and switch which could be broken down to $130 for just the switch.

But thats not going to happen. They make money off of the pack in and side buys.
    Meaning it might only cost them $50 to make a pair of joycons which sell for $80

but back to the extra dock thing. Its for lazy people who want to plug it up to different tvs without unhookin and replugging cables

Same thing you gotta do if you own any system. An hdmi cable and power cord. So i dont see the need for an extra one but some do

8. raystriker

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Unless you're loaded with money, the Switch will make you a very careful person, very soon. :switch: