What exactly are the problems people have tryin' to play SSBB?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by dkruger2000, Jul 5, 2010.

1. dkruger2000
    OP

Newcomer dkruger2000 Member

United States
    I hear people always havin' problems playin' Super Smash Brothers Brawl(SSBB) and Metroid Prime Trilogy(MPT) through a USB Loader. Why do they have problems and what is solution? I thought about gettin' them, but I'd like to know more before I go and download them. (Btw, I use WiiFlow, and WBFS Manager, on a 8GB Flash Drive. Hopefully soon I'll get a 500GB Hard drive, hopefully this one, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Western-Digital-...-Drive/14668389, if someone was able to tell me if that one will work with the Wii. I'm aware that they're big game files, I'm gonna copies of them, so when I do get a hard drive, I can just put them on there.) Thanks to anyone that helps me. [​IMG]

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    In a bit random order:
    -the USB compatability chart can be found here. Though as it happens, I happen to use that very same drive myself...and pretty much without problems*. [​IMG]

Those two games happen to be dual layered games. More importantly: popular dual layered games (which means: more people try to play them...which means that more people have problems with it). They certainly won't fit both on that pen drive, but I guess you already knew that. [​IMG]

Now...there are some "issues" with those games, but they can be dealt with.
    -for SSBB, it is best to use Hermes's cIOS to run it. While Waninkoko's revisions kinda run them, it's not unlikely that it crashes at one point (most notably: at the end of the first level in the subspace adventure)**.
    -MPT is one of the few games that can not truly be run flawless (yet). The game comes with 4 different alt dols: one for the intro menu, and one for each game. To get it to run, you must first set it to the menu dol, run it, create a savegame, and exit the game. Then set the dol to the game you want to play (1, 2 or 3) and run the game again. It'll boot straight into the game you want to play...on veteran modus.
    I'd also like to notice that if you have your wii connected to your PC monitor (through a cable like vdigi makes them), MP1 and 2 have the same video issue as a lot of gamecube games...but that only matters if you actually use an exotic cable like that.

Finally: I have to point out that it's illegal to download games you don't actually own. Yeah, I know...it's not going to stop you. I just make it clear that even though I provide you with the info you need, it will always remain your responsibility.

*the only issue is that AFAIK is that a spin down can't be prevented. I've only seen this matter while playing small emulated games...and it could be easily avoided by putting the savegame files to the SD card (or saving/loading at least every ten minutes)
    **I admit I haven't followed progress on this one. It may be that later revisions actually play this game perfectly

3. dkruger2000
    OP

United States
    Thank you very much, Wever for a more detailed insight. [​IMG] And I know it's illegal to download backups of games that I don't already own. [​IMG] I plan on buyin' them as soon as I get a job.. even though it's still illegal, to download before I buy them. Lol. I'd like to try somethin' before I actually spend any money on them. [​IMG] Even renting them can be a lil pricey, only place around here is Blockbuster, and they're expensive, IMO. Lol. Again, thank you very much for answering my question, well actually all my questionS, even the one about the hard drive I want to get, lol.

I have one more question. [​IMG] Are there any other games people have problems with?

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Actually it's illegal to download them at all, no matter if you bought them or not.

5. dkruger2000
    OP

United States
    Actually no it's not, Rydian. It's the same with movies and music. You're allowed to make/have backup copies of a movie you have purchased. [​IMG]

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    ah yes but how do we know you actually HAVE purchased it? [​IMG]

7. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Yes. Any games that use multiple .dols have issues with USB Loaders. However, this can usually be fixed by using a alternative dol, which is a feature in most USB Loaders. The only game impossible to run on USB Loaders is Call of Duty 3. It has (I think) 9 dols.

8. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada

You don't need to know, lol.
    That's for the cops to know when they raid his house looking for illegally pirated games [​IMG]

9. elmariachi

Member elmariachi GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Sam and Max is another [​IMG]

10. dkruger2000
    OP

United States
    If you buy a movie/game/music, you are legally able to make a backup copy of that item. [​IMG] Just as long as you're not sellin'/gifting/giving away that backup copy. [​IMG] And yes, that is in the USA. [​IMG]

11. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    ^
    Yeah I actually looked it up.

By the sounds of it, there is enough uncertainty within America's laws that you could probably never be charged for copying DVDs you own. Though it does seem to say audio is fine, video isn't. But again, it isn't even set perfectly in stone, so even if a person did get sued for it, they'd never actually get convicted. Too many loopholes and uncertainty for the Defense to work with.

Anyways enough of that off-topicness.
    Hope the actual question was already answered, lol.

12. Rydian

United States
    Unlike other people, I've actually read the damn law.

US code, title 17, section 117
    So no, downloading ROMs is illegal no matter if you own a copy of the game or not, and breaking DRM or AP (such as bypassing CSS when ripping a commercial DVD) is also an illegal act.

13. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    is there ANYTHING you don't know? [​IMG]

14. Rydian

United States
    Jack shit about the Xbox or 360, actually.
    Or anything involving the iphone.
    Or cell phones in general.

15. dkruger2000
    OP

United States
    @Hells Malice
    Yeah, it was answered, thanks. Lol.

@Rydian
    Well if you had read my latest post, you'd see that I changed it.. I said make backup copied of items you've already purchased, said nothin' about downloading. xD [​IMG] Thought I'd just point that out. [​IMG] Lol.

@Anybody and Everybody
    Does anyone think that the new CoD game that is due to come out will have more than one dol?

16. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    99% no at CoD Black Ops having multiple dols. Pretty much no Wii game released now uses alt. dols. It was mainly common when the first Wii games were released (late 2006, early 2007).

17. bwillb

Member bwillb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    99% of the time, no one cares if you download something. but if they catch you sharing, thats when you're in a world of trouble [​IMG]