ROM Hack What Ever Happened to the A.S.H. Translation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shineek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
ferofax said:
Clydefrosch said:
i always wondered, if translators would have any actual rights on their work besides some kind of moral right since they had the work
this kind of thinking is what i'm afraid of, mostly. people trying to find loopholes, saying "what if". next thing you know, they're justifying how their wants weigh more than moral right. then they'll come to the conclusion that, "hey, it's not like they REALLY own it. we have as much right to that as they do, probably even MORE."

what if they didn't have actual rights? would you rip it off their hands? would you forcibly take it, with or without consent? sounds like you would.

just let it be there will always be such ppl , thats why its not worth translating anything so openly , or even dont translate anything , if their so smart let them play this in original language or learn japanese , if you ask me i dont care if theyre 12 or 15 or even 25 years old , everybody have to take responsibility for what they say . when at war sometimes shooting some enemies down mean shooting your allies as well

Shinintendo

Trophies
Website
games4gamer.net
XP
Country
Iceland
HaniKazmi, If psycho disappeared from the translation scene as it seems, are you willing to work on the project with some other translator to release what you have so far? maybe some of the guys here willing to help you out.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinintendo said:
HaniKazmi, If psycho disappeared from the translation scene as it seems, are you willing to work on the project with some other translator to release what you have so far? maybe some of the guys here willing to help you out.

That'd be a bit fucked up since it's not their translation. psyco chose the testers out of trust. How is there trust if they release a patch they weren't meant to release? Sure, it's a complete patch with a few bugs, but respect is respect and in the translation community, there isn't enough of it. The least people can do is show they can respect a translator. It's best to try to get in contact with psyco. Even if you can't, releasing work that isn't yours is disrespectful to psyco, who spent plenty of time working on the translation.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ferofax said:
Clydefrosch said:
i always wondered, if translators would have any actual rights on their work besides some kind of moral right since they had the work
this kind of thinking is what i'm afraid of, mostly. people trying to find loopholes, saying "what if". next thing you know, they're justifying how their wants weigh more than moral right. then they'll come to the conclusion that, "hey, it's not like they REALLY own it. we have as much right to that as they do, probably even MORE."

what if they didn't have actual rights? would you rip it off their hands? would you forcibly take it, with or without consent? sounds like you would.

what the heck? i was just asking a simple question.

if they didnt have actual rights, i would want everyone who's going all white knight on translatiors to stop doing so by saying "they have a copyright to their work"
its really just about them.

similar to anime/manga subbing/translation groups who's fans go all batshit when people spread some groups work.
besides a moral or ethical "its their work, they should be able to decide", i dont think they have much right on that stuff if they up it, with the most likely illegal raw copy/scan of the movie/manga.

obviously, thats kinda different for translations here, as they are distributed by patch, not by complete game, so i had to ask anyway

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Clydefrosch said:
ferofax said:
Clydefrosch said:

what the heck? i was just asking a simple question.

if they didnt have actual rights, i would want everyone who's going all white knight on translatiors to stop doing so by saying "they have a copyright to their work"
its really just about them.

similar to anime/manga subbing/translation groups who's fans go all batshit when people spread some groups work.
besides a moral or ethical "its their work, they should be able to decide", i dont think they have much right on that stuff if they up it, with the most likely illegal raw copy/scan of the movie/manga.

obviously, thats kinda different for translations here, as they are distributed by patch, not by complete game, so i had to ask anyway

....this is how i see it. everybody knows people put hard work into this. that alone sets the line right there.

you don't test the line. you don't look around, checking if anybody sees you step on it, or over it. as far as i know, people who "test the line" don't differ much to people who "cross" it. one way or another, it ends up with people being on the other side of the line.

this isn't me questioning anybody's morals. maybe i'm just being too straight an arrow, but that's how i see it. people who test the lines end up on the other side. that's why when i see people acting like that, i see them as if they've done it already.

and yes, it's their work, their content, their translation, their material. theirs. sure, it's based on another's work, a commercial one, and it's pointless without that other factor, but pointless or not, it's theirs.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
joshstyle said:
any link for the patch or is it gone?
It was a leak that wasn't meant to be released, and anyone with any respect for people who do this kind of work won't offer it to you.

Chebas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So...that's it?
All the work from Psycho is gone...?

Come on guys, nobody can contact her? Nobody knows her!?

Who wanna play ASH? Everybody ! Plz push with this topic !

NetShira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes we want to see the release of ASH (to previous poster).... but I hope Psyco wasn't in Japan and had issues (I know quite a few people who are friends who were and one abandoned all online work (it wasn't practical) and was helping take care of smaller children in the shelters. I agree people have a right to what they spent their time on though I also want to play it in english and wish someone could simply get permission for the release with full credit going to Psyco.
Thanks for someone starting the topic about this.. it's been bugging me for a while but I hadn't realized the situation. While someone has the patch there's still hope.. just keep our eyes peeled for Psyco. And in worst case maybe there should be a 5 yr statute of limitations like copyrights (though that only applies to released products).

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did she vanish from the internet? Her activity here and her blog about the game stopped at the same time..

Not to come off as selfish, but if the translation was done and she just vanished, what's the harm in releasing a translation that's already done? I mean, what if something bad happened to her? Is it just going to stay in the dark, or will it be released to show appreciation for the work she actually did complete?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think the project was actually finished, and the ridicule and the like pushed her to the point of not releasing the patch progress at that point to anybody. It's up to someone else to pick-up the project from scratch if they want it done. There's little hope of the original project ever being picked back up again.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awh, that's a shame. I don't see why people get bitchy about free translations. Then again, I don't see how people doing those kinds of things take all of the bad words to heart. It is the internet, after all...
tongue.gif

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ I agree.

I just checked out her blog... And I'm so pissed at those trolls. I just looked at the game and would REALLY have liked to have played it. *BLEEP*ing trolls.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goofy Time said:
Awh, that's a shame. I don't see why people get bitchy about free translations. Then again, I don't see how people doing those kinds of things take all of the bad words to heart. It is the internet, after all...
tongue.gif

She didn't really take any of the "bad words" to heart. I believe she just got sick of the pressure everyone put on her and ridiculed her every time she did even bother to update. The trolls and impatient people took a toll on her and so she just left. Before anyone says, "It happens all the time" each person has their own tolerance level. Just because it happens all the time, doesn't mean they have to sit there and take it when... they could just leave.

People will bitch about free translations until all translation communities vanish into thin air... and maybe even then they'll continue bitching. It happens all the time. Releasing someone else's work isn't the way to go about making the DS translation community any bigger, but quite the opposite.

It's best to just wait for someone else to start from scratch.

magikaitou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emm , I was told that Psico lost all the information but .... If it was beta testers, dont they have copies of the translation?

I think that all of this is a scam

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
magikaitou said:
Emm , I was told that Psico lost all the information but .... If it was beta testers, dont they have copies of the translation?

some do have an almost complete (missing tutorials i think only) and working copy of the patch, but they do have to contact with psyco before releasing anything to get her green light, out of respect

i dont get how it is a scam though..? a let down for sure but a scam? i believe she didn't take any donations from anyone for her project, if im right?

anyway i really hope nothing bad happen to the person since she not give any life sign on anywhere to anyone since this internet incident.. not for selfish patch reason but this is strange just cut all bonds and disappear like that :wtf: .. take care psyco hope ur safe n sound if u read this anonymously and thanks for the dedication even if too few could see the result

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
magikaitou said:

How would this be a scam? It's not like you're investing anything into it, this translation was in development, like all fan translations, free of charge. As a former beta tester, I can confirm this isn't fake at all and the game was indeed fully translated (beta testing was just fixing grammar and glitches).

I seriously think this thread should be closed since we're getting nothing of worth out of it. Just people bawww'ing about stuff they get from free off the hard work of others. Fan translations are a privilege, not a right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PotatoStatic @ PotatoStatic: Jesus. Someone really wants to give me speedy loans.